The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

happy for weld but surely best horse came second

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on June 05, 2016, 07:44:52 PM
happy for weld but surely best horse came second

Harzand certainly got the run of the race but US Army Ranger got to within a neck at one stage and went down by a length and a half in the end. I'm not convinced that the winner was doing a whole lot in front.

I wouldn't back either with confidence to win back at the Curragh. I would have a very slight leaning towards Harzand provided there is enough of an ease. You would expect a big Sea The Stars colt like Harzand to improve with racing and for a stiffer and more conventional track like the Curragh. US Army Ranger stepped up a lot on his Chester effort and should find it easier to lie up closer next time in a smaller field.

Hopefully they both run because it has been too long since we've had a proper clash at the Curragh.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Sad day for racing with the retirement of Kieren Fallon and the death of the photographer Liam Healy.

beer baron

Pyromaniacs ban stands despite Tony Martin throwing Paddy Mc Guigan under the bus, DH you'd know a lot more about the goings on in racing circles but i would've expected a senior trainer to do his best not to hang an inexperienced rider? ???

The Trap

Anybody got one for Galway?

Don Johnson

Very very sad news about JT McNamara passing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Don Johnson on July 26, 2016, 08:45:26 AM
Very very sad news about JT McNamara passing.

That's really sad news! RIP JT!
That was never a square ball!!

Donnellys Hollow

Such sad news to wake up to. It's hard to describe how gifted a rider John Thomas was. He had more horsemanship in his little finger than most celebrated professionals.

The man was a genius.

orangeman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 26, 2016, 01:25:00 PM
Such sad news to wake up to. It's hard to describe how gifted a rider John Thomas was. He had more horsemanship in his little finger than most celebrated professionals.

The man was a genius.

Lovely tribute by Alistair Down here - http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/alastair-down-jt-mcnamaras-fighting-spirit-never-flinched/2126764/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

beer baron

Charles Byrnes had an interesting evening at Roscommon, well punted treble landed. Will there be questions asked?

RealSpiritof98

Davy Russell is some pilot, could believe it when the third one went in.

orangeman

Michael O'Leary and Willie Mullins have fallen out of bed.

60 horses removed from the yard. Major fall out.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: orangeman on September 28, 2016, 12:24:07 PM

Over fees...Mullins says fee increase is the first in 10 years.

Anyone know what the fees are for a season...not that I've many horses or anything?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ball Hopper on September 28, 2016, 04:02:54 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 28, 2016, 12:24:07 PM

Over fees...Mullins says fee increase is the first in 10 years.

Anyone know what the fees are for a season...not that I've many horses or anything?

A lot!

I doubt Mullins will lose too much sleep over it. Apart from Apples Jade, most of his Gigginstown horses are fairly moderate compared to some of the other top quality horses he has in his yard. He won't have much bother filling the empty boxes anyway.

Long term this might not be a bad thing for the Irish National Hunt racing scene which has gone a bit stale recently. Seeing trainers like Colm Murphy packing the game in shows that it's not in a great state at the moment. Elliot should benefit the most from this and I'm sure it's welcome news to Noel Meade who was probably hit hardest out of all the leading trainers after the arse fell out of the economy. Interesting to see how the O'Brien operation in Pilltown develops over the next few years.

RealSpiritof98

O'leary is a very hard man to warm to, near billionaire fighting with millionaire over money just pisses me off.