The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

beer baron

Some performance by Taghrooda there  :o Still can't stand to look at Gosden for some reason though.

barelegs

She was very impressive alright.  The first crop of Sea The Stars has thrown up a couple of  real stars with Taghrooda and Sea The Moon. The Arc is really shaping up to be some race!

I'm not overly fussed on Gosden either but I'd take him every day of the week over Michael Stoute. I have to say I enjoyed Nick Luck's interview with Stoute about the morphine positives. He couldn't have looked more uncomfortable

Donnellys Hollow

Sea The Stars progeny are only going to get better. He was never going to get sharp 2yos.

I really like Gosden as a trainer. A lot of those big flat trainers over in the UK are nothing more than one trick ponies. I know of a few people who are very familiar with Gosden after his spell down in Ballydoyle with MV and they have great time for him.

JT McNamara was admitted to the ICU in Limerick University Hospital with a respiratory infection the Thursday before last. His condition is improving and hopefully he will be home again before long.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 26, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Sea The Stars progeny are only going to get better. He was never going to get sharp 2yos.

I really like Gosden as a trainer. A lot of those big flat trainers over in the UK are nothing more than one trick ponies. I know of a few people who are very familiar with Gosden after his spell down in Ballydoyle with MV and they have great time for him.

JT McNamara was admitted to the ICU in Limerick University Hospital with a respiratory infection the Thursday before last. His condition is improving and hopefully he will be home again before long.

I like Gosden too. Could listen to him talking about horses all day. He had a great association with Frankie in the early days and can turn out winners usually at decent prices.

deiseach

I'm off to the races in Tramore with work tomorrow evening. Anyone here willing to overlook any previous jaundiced statements I might have made about the Sport of Kings and share a tip from the first couple of races?

beer baron

Jamie Spencer retiring at the end of the season,and taking up a job on the Qatar racing management team. Am i missing something? He's only in his early 30's isn't he?

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

thewobbler

Quote from: beer baron on August 21, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
Jamie Spencer retiring at the end of the season,and taking up a job on the Qatar racing management team. Am i missing something? He's only in his early 30's isn't he?
He probably just wants to eat bacon sandwiches and drink beer. Can't blame a man for that.

beer baron

Quote from: thewobbler on August 22, 2014, 09:23:57 AM
Quote from: beer baron on August 21, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
He probably just wants to eat bacon sandwiches and drink beer. Can't blame a man for that.

Very true that could be it. Although the fact that Atzeni's been announced so quickly would suggest to me he had been lined up and Spencer was told jump or be pushed.

What about Sole power today,he's like a lightning bolt and apparently had an interrupted prep in the run up to this with a dose of ringworm.
Eddie Lynam having an unbelievable season with him and Slade power. Apparently Slade power's got ringworm now too and might miss the Sprint cup at Haydock,if he made it there he'd be very hard beat. That'd be Lynam with all 5 group 1 sprints in Britain this year  :o Surely no Irish trainer has done that before?

Donnellys Hollow

Spencer is probably just not enjoying it anymore. He has won plenty of big races over the course of his career and went on to do very well for himself after his godfather gave him the elbow ten years ago. He was probably a bit too young when he got the Ballydoyle gig. Had he got it later on in his career I think he would have made a better fist of it.

Quote from: beer baron on August 22, 2014, 09:10:32 PM
Eddie Lynam having an unbelievable season with him and Slade power. Apparently Slade power's got ringworm now too and might miss the Sprint cup at Haydock,if he made it there he'd be very hard beat. That'd be Lynam with all 5 group 1 sprints in Britain this year  :o Surely no Irish trainer has done that before?

It just goes to show the depth in the Irish training ranks beyond Aidan. DK is having a great season and had another big festival winner today to go with his Cheltenham and Royal Ascot successes.

I'm not sure if any trainer has ever won all those sprints in the one season although some of them have only been upgraded to Group 1 status in recent years. MV must have been close to doing it in the 70s. He had some great sprinters back then like Thatching (grandsire of Hardy Eustace!), Abergwaun, Godswalk and Solinus.

beer baron

Andrew Lynch no longer retained rider for the Potts' horses with young Johnny Burke taking  over,bit of a shock  :o

Donnellys Hollow

Lynch has been broken up quite badly in the last few years but Potts is well known to be as mad as a box of frogs. He would be far better off finding himself a decent bloodstock advisor. He has some amount of rubbish stock for the amount of money he has ploughed into the game.

Donnellys Hollow

Sad news about Oliver Brady this morning. He never failed to put a smile on people's faces. The national hunt scene will be a duller place without him.

Lecale2

RIP. He was some character alright.