The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Godolphin trainer Al Zarooni faces horse doping inquiry

Eleven horses from the Godolphin stable have tested positive for anabolic steroids in one of the biggest doping scandals in British racing history.

Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni will attend a British Horseracing Authority inquiry after irregularities were discovered in 11 of 45 racehorses.

Al Zarooni has admitted making "a catastrophic mistake".

"This is a dark day for Godolphin," said stable manager Simon Crisford. "We are all shocked by what has happened."

The 11 horses include unbeaten Certify, who will not be allowed to run in next month's 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket.

Godolphin is the Maktoum family's private thoroughbred horseracing stable and is overseen by the constitutional monarch of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed, who appointed Al Zarooni three years ago.

Analysis
Cornelius Lysaght
BBC horse racing correspondent This is hugely embarrassing for Godolphin's figurehead, Sheikh Mohammed, the head of the Maktoum family and, as such, the ruler of Dubai. His hands-on approach to Godolphin, the largest stable in the world and one of the few players in racing's premier league, is legendary.

It's constantly emphasised how no decision, from numerous horse purchases to race strategy and tactics, is made without reference to Sheikh Mohammed - 'the Boss'. Indeed, the very fact that most Godolphin horses spend their winters in Dubai is down to his desire to see them on a daily basis, when affairs of state must also be dealt with.

And it's on the back of all this and the much-vaunted sporting nature of the Sheikh and his family, that Dubai has become amongst the world's great centres for sport and leisure. Yet, apparently right under their noses, perhaps racing's greatest ever drugs scandal has unfolded. Little wonder an urgent review of 'all of our procedures and controls' has now been ordered.

Horses spend the winter in Dubai before transferring to Godolphin's UK stables in Newmarket.

A statement on Godolphin's website said: "Al Zarooni has admitted that he was responsible for the administration of the prohibited substances."

The trainer said: "Because the horses involved were not racing at the time, I did not realise that what I was doing was in breach of the rules of racing.

"I can only apologise for the damage this will cause to Godolphin and to racing generally."

The substances detected were ethylestrenol and stanozolol. Adam Brickell, director of integrity, legal and risk for the BHA, said: "Ethylestranol and stanozolol are anabolic steroids and therefore prohibited substances under British rules of racing, at any time - either in training or racing."

A former stable groom, 36-year-old Al Zarooni had previously assisted the Godolphin stable's long-term trainer Saeed bin Suroor.

Al Zarooni won his first British Classic in 2011 when Blue Bunting landed the 1,000 Guineas under Frankie Dettori at Newmarket. The filly went on to claim the Irish Oaks.

Rewilding provided a victory at Royal Ascot and Monterosso won the world's richest race, the Dubai World Cup, in March 2012.

In September 2012, he enjoyed a second British Classic success when 25-1 shot Encke upset Camelot to win the St Leger at Doncaster.

The BHA confirmed that on 9 April this year samples were obtained from 45 horses trained by Al Zarooni at Moulton Paddocks Stables in Newmarket and that the Horseracing Forensic Laboratory had detected prohibited substances.

Certify, unbeaten in four career outings and winner of the Shadwell Stud Fillies' Mile at Newmarket in September, had been ante-post favourite through the winter months for the Guineas, but was one of the seven horses whose sample tested positive for ethylestrenol.

Last year's Royal Ascot Gold Cup runner-up Opinion Poll was one of four horses testing positive for stanozolol.

Racing manager Crisford added: "His Highness Sheikh Mohammed was absolutely appalled when he was told and this is completely unacceptable to him. We will await the outcome of the BHA inquiry before taking any further internal action.

"Sheikh Mohammed has instructed me to begin an urgent review of all of our procedures and controls. That is already under way and we will take advice from the BHA in completing it."

No date has yet been announced for the BHA inquiry. However, Brickell said: "The BHA understand the importance of this process being carried out as quickly as possible because of implications for betting markets."

The 11 horses are:

Desert Blossom

Certify

Fair Hill

Ghostflower

Orkney Island

Sweet Rose

Valley Of Queens

Artigiano

Bathrat Amal

Opinion Poll

Restraint Of Trade

Donnellys Hollow

Keep that flat stuff for after Punchestown!

Looking forward to seeing this magnificent beast again later on:

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mickey Linden

Surprised by the lack of comment on this thread considering its Punchestown week. Really looking forward to the clash between Solwhit and Quevega later. Quevega is a real superstar but I think Solwhit might take her today. Quevega wasnt at her brilliant best at Cheltenham while Solwhit has been a revelation over the 3 mile trip.

Anyone have any luck so far?

Donnellys Hollow

This could be the stiffest test of stamina that Solwhit will have encountered. I won't be having a bet but I expect the mare will outstay him up the straight.

beer baron

Up there yesterday,had 4 winners  :D   Only buttons on though,my only decent bet was inish island due to his form with at fishers cross but he was beat,still my betting,drinking and food was covered for the day so i'll not complain.

Morning assembly who beat Inish island yesterday was give a race by mad brian a few runs back and mad brian goes in the 1st today in a less valuable race  and is a nice e/w bet at 7 or 8/1.
Gordon Elliott could have a good day too,has Barneys honour the likely fav in the handicap chase and has Plan A in the same race with slippers Madden booked,not a jockey i'd associate with Elliott too often,though it's a Mc Manus horse i think so that could be why,he's about a stone lower in the handicap than his hurdles mark so could go close and he has Realt Mor running in the grade 1 chase but i'll be hoping arvika ligieonniere beats him though if both try go from the front they could set it up for someone else.

Don't know about the big hurdle race,DH always tells us Quevega's a money printing machine but she should have a fight on her hands today with Solwhit and reve de sivola but at 2/1  i think i'll have to back her,if your confident DH i might have a few extra euro on  ;). Surprised Carberry lost the ride on Solwhit after his last 2 wins but  Russell will be delighted to get the ride back after missing out on the wins in England.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on April 25, 2013, 12:47:13 PM
Don't know about the big hurdle race,DH always tells us Quevega's a money printing machine but she should have a fight on her hands today with Solwhit and reve de sivola but at 2/1  i think i'll have to back her,if your confident DH i might have a few extra euro on  ;). Surprised Carberry lost the ride on Solwhit after his last 2 wins but  Russell will be delighted to get the ride back after missing out on the wins in England.

In and out form of Mullins's horses tempers my enthusiasm for her slightly. He's had winners but others are travelling well up to a point and then stopping quite quickly. She should be a fresh horse having only ran at Cheltenham though. It's hard to do the Cheltenham/Aintree/Punchestown treble that Solwhit is attempting. Sprinter Sacre wasn't as impressive on Tuesday as he had been at the English festivals.

sammymaguire

Oscars Well should run a big race today with Geraghty in the saddle 8/1
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ardchieftain

Can't have Solwhit today, had too many hard races recently for my liking. I'm not abandoning Quevega and had a decent punt, more afraid of reve de sivola.
Barney's Honour seems to have been laid out for this race.

ardchieftain

Took Followmeuptocarlow at 10's this morning, is 13/2 now.

Hardy

Big disappointment at Punchestown - Solwhit withdrawn at the start. Bloody nose.

beer baron

She's decent  :P Pity about Solwhit,kind of ruined the race.Some laugh to see what kind of rule 4 im hit with,40 or 50 cent in the pound probably  >:(

Hardy

40% on Betfair. Still, it was great to watch her, even with the disappointment of the loss of the main opposition.

SHEEDY

Quote from: ardchieftain on April 25, 2013, 02:40:31 PM
Took Followmeuptocarlow at 10's this morning, is 13/2 now.
backed the same horse at 10's earlier. thought we were home and hosed going over the last until the horse practically stopped in the last 50yrds. pipped nearly on the line. :(
nil satis nisi optimum

beer baron

Go on Arvika-absolutely class  8)