The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Glad I snapped up the 14s on Monksland. Tumbling in price all the time. Fingal Bay only 50/50 to run now.

Interesting to see how Minsk gets on tomorrow. He's the second coming of Hardy Eustace if the vibes from Hughes' yard are to be believed.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mickey Linden

Anyone heading to any of the preview nights in the next few weeks? Im heading to the one in Belfast. Only muddies the water further in my opinion but is usually a good night.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Candyman on February 24, 2012, 02:45:11 PM
Lively Baron wins by 20+ lengths!!!!

(Only because the 16/1 outsider of the field who was cruising and 2lengths in front fell at the 2nd last)  :o

mini boom!!  8)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: CHELTENHAM PREVIEW 2012 EXETER

The Panel consisted of
Paul Nicholls
David Pipe
Philip Hobbs
Paul Binfield representing sponsors Paddy Power
Nick Williams
Andrew King (Racing Post)
Paul Jones (Cheltenham Trends)
Zoey Bird, Compère

DAY 1
1.30 Supreme Novices' Hurdle 2m 1/2f
This is clearly a very open race and there was no clear selection from the panel
Philip Hobbs stated Colour Sergeant was fine after his recent fall, and should go very well
Paul Nicholls says Prospect Wells is very classy at home, and goes there with a decent chance, allowing for poor effort last time
Paul Jones thinks Simonsig will run Neptune, but if running in the Supreme would win
Steps to Freedom has the best form, whilst Midnight Game is improving
Andrew King thought Darlan had a good chance
Paul Binfield thought Galileo's Choice was the best of the Irish

2.05 Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy Steeple Chase 2m
Paul Binfield said it was quite possible Sprinter Sacre could go off at odds on
Paul Nicholls thought Sprinter Sacre was by no means certain to stay as he has done all his top class form on flat tracks
Philip Hobbs says Menorah jumps well at home, but does make the odd mistake, which he will need to avoid on the day
Doesn't think anything can beat Sprinter Sacre
Paul Jones says Sprinter Sacre is the one to beat, reminded us the best "hurdler�� often wins the Arkle, and that would be Peddlers Cross
David Pipe thought Sprinter Sacre had too much pace for the rest
Andrew King wanted to oppose Sprinter Sacre big time, doesn't think Cheltenham will suit, similar to the Supreme last year

2.40 William Hill Trophy Handicap Steeple Chase 3m 1/2f
Not a lot on this race
David Pipe said The Package should run well in this race, although the Grand National was his main aim
Massini's Maguire may also take his chance

3.20 Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy 2m 1/2f
Paul Binfield thought Zarkandar had a decent chance of beating Hurricane Fly
Paul Nicholls thought he had a chance and would be better than he was at Newbury
Also said Zarkandar was on anti-biotics and would finish the course next couple days, but seemed OK
Also thought Rock on Ruby was way overpriced on form with Binocular
Brampour will run and may have EW squeak, Celestial Halo will take his chance
Andrew King thought Binocular was the EW bet, impressed with last win

4.00 Glenfarclas Cross Country Handicap Steeple Chase 3m 7f
Nothing on this race discussed in detail
Paul Jones asked Philip Hobbs about Balthazar King, and I thought he got quite a positive response to his chances 14-1 EW not the worse bet in this race

4.40 David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle Race 2m 4f
Nobody can see Quevega being beaten
However Nick Williams was very keen on Swinford Flame's chance Each Way

5.15 Centenary Novice handicap Chase 2m 4.5f
Again not a lot discussed although Criqtonic mentioned as having a decent chance

DAY 2
1.30 National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup 4m
Nothing mentioned

2.05 Neptune Investment  Novices' Hurdle 2m 5f
Philip Hobbs said Fingal Bay was 50/50 after injuring a hamstring
Paul Jones thought Boston Bob had the soundest chance, indeed had the best novice hurdle form at the meeting
Also didn't think Simonsig would win this if running
Andrew King thought it was between Fingal bay and Boston Bob
Paul Nicholls said he had been told this would be Boston Bob's target

2.40 RSA Steeple Chase 3m 1/2f
David Pipe said Grand Crus was in great form at home, probably wouldn't decide on the race, until the 5 day decs.
Andrew king thought Bobs Worth would go well, but Grand Crus would win if running
Paul Nicholls said Join Together has won twice at the course, and would stay on as well as anything in the race
Paul Jones respected Invictus and Bobs Worth who is 3/3 at Cheltenham
Indeed thought Bobs Worth EW at 5-1 was one of the best bets at the meeting

3.20 Sportingbet Queen Mother Champion Steeple Chase 2m
Paul Binfield thought Big Zeb was the better bet at the prices
Philip Hobbs says Wishfull Thinking has breathing problems, not sure they are resolved still he is not quite right.
Paul Jones thinks Sizing Europe is the best chaser in training anything above Evens is a decent bet
Andrew King thought Wishfull Thinking at his best would be interesting

4.00 Coral Cup (Handicap Hurdle) 2m 5f
Lots of horses but no information specific to the Coral Cup, most horses are multiple entries

4.40 Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle 2m 1/2f
Hinterland will run in this race and hopefully go well

5.15 Weatherbys Champion Bumper (Open NH Flat Race) 2m 1/2f
Paul Binfield thinks Sword of Honour is a decent EW bet
Philip Hobbs thought Village Vic would run very well
Andrew King likes New Years Eve and Population
Paul Jones said that the top BHA rated horse on the flat do run well in this race, and Moscow Mannon would be the horse backed on the day
Nick Williams said Horatio Hornblower was nice horse and would run, if the going had "soft�� in it

DAY 3
1.30 Jewson Novices' Handicap Steeple Chase 2m 5f
Paul Nicholls said Cristal Bonus was running on Saturday and should go well, and then would run in this race, as long as going was soft enough
Nick Williams thought For Non Stop had a good chance but no more than that
Paul Jones thought he had never seen Ruby Walsh look happier than the last time he got off Cristal Bonus who jumps for fun, also likes Sir Des Champs, winner would come form one of these two
Andrew king thought For Non Stop could go off favourite and was the most likely winner

2.05 Pertemps Final Handicap Hurdle) 3m
David Pipe expected Buena Vista to run well again, he had been concerned from two races ago, when he seemed to lose form, but last run was pretty good
Buena Vista still has a chance on official rating
Paul Nicholls was keen on Sonofvic, 20-1 seems a decent price

2.40 Ryanair Chase 2m 5f
Paul Binfield said Noble Prince is the selection here, last race, ground was too soft
Massive chance this time
David pipe thought Great Endeavour had a really good chance which would improve on better going
Andrew King thought it was between Somersby and Great Endeavour
Paul Jones thought Somersby was very good EW bet, but not sure he wouldn't go for the Queen Mother Chase.
Great Endeavour and  Medermit needed to find around 7lbs

3.20 Ladbrokes World Hurdle 3m
Paul Nicholls said Big Buck's was Ok, no cough
Indeed he said the older horses all seem Ok, it's just the younger ones who have shown some signs
Big Buck's has come on from last run
He did think Oscar Whisky would be his toughest challenger yet
David Pipe said Big Buck's was certainty and that Dynaste was playing for one of the places
Paul Jones wished they would run Thousand Stars in this race rather than Champion Hurdle

4.00 Byrne Group Plate Handicap Steeple Chase 2m 5f
Paul Nicholls said Crack Away Jack would run here, seemed quite keen on a decent run as well I thought
David Pipe said Salut Flo was entered in just about every race; there was some money for this one yesterday in this race

4.40 Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Steeple Chase 3m 1 1/2f
No discussion on this race

5.15 St Patricks Day Derby (Charity race)
No discussion on this race {Editor's note – I should bloody well think not!!    }

DAY 4
1.30 JCB Triumph Hurdle 2m 1f
Minsk is the favourite for this race, not run all season – unbelievable.
Philip Hobbs said Sadlers Risk runs this Saturday, very happy with him
Nick Williams said Urbain De Sivola would run if ground was on the soft side
Paul Nicholls said Pearl Swan has the best form so far of his horses, but also said Dildar runs this Saturday, against Sadlers Risk
I got the impression he has very high hopes for Dildar
Andrew king liked Grumeti and Pearl Swan
Paul Jones thought Minsk could go off as low at 2-1, as his flat form is far in excess of anything else
Paul Binfield likes Darroun
Paul Nicholls did say he wouldn't be surprised if Minsk never ran either this weekend or at Cheltenham!

2.05 Vincent O'Brien County Handicap Hurdle 2m 1f
Philip Hobbs said Snap Tie is in good form, he reported this last year but the horse never got in, hasn't run for two years, so you'd want a very big price, not sure 33-1 is big enough to tempt me

2.40 Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle 3m
Paul Nicholls very keen on Rocky Creek
As mentioned earlier he believes Boston Bob will go to the Neptune
Andrew King thought Rocky Creek would go off 7-2 if Boston Bob was NR, so 10-1 at the moment was excellent
Paul Jones was not taken by Brindisi Breeze last run, not up to the standard to win this race

3.20 totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup Steeple Chase 3m 2 1/2f
Much of this was taken up discussing the merits of Long Run's last run, and whether Grand Crus would run
Paul Jones thought the front two were vulnerable, and that Weird Al was the best bet at 20-1
Andrew king thought What a Friend EW, although Paul Nicholls dismissed this saying 3rd was his best chance if everyone turned up
Paul Nicholls said Kauto Star was in top form at home, as good as he has seen him
Wasn't sure Long Run had trained on, and that meant there was not a lot between them
Philip Hobbs was asked about Captain Chris, he said he has always jumped right, so that was not an issue as such, however he was not at his best IF HE RAN it would be Ryanair or Gold Cup, however then said he wouldn't really want more than 3 miles, so I give him next to no chance of running in the Gold Cup, and I got the impression he was by no means certain to run at the Festival

4.00 Christie's Foxhunter Steeple Chase 3m 2 1/2f
No discussion, although couple of tips at the end

4.40 Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle 2m 4 1/2f
As usual; David Pipe gets questioned on this race, however he said it is very difficult to even get a horse in this race, he tried with Grand Crus a couple years ago, but couldn't as he had an OR of only 124
A few mentioned and maybe the most likely is Salut Flo if this

5.15 Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Steeple Chase 2m 1/2f
No discussion on this race

Charity Bets
Andrew King    Rocky Creek                 Albert Bartlett
Paul Jones        On The fringe               Foxhunters
Zoey Bird         Scotsirish                  Cross Country
Nick Williams   Swincombe Flame EW    David Nicholson Mares
Paul Nicholls    Chapoturgeon              Foxhunters
David Pipe        Alfie Spinner                National Hunt Chase
Paul Binfield     Salsify                          Foxhunters
Philip Hobbs    Sadlers Risk               Triumph

It's amazing how ignorant of the Irish form some of the UK national hunt set are.

bcarrier

Triumph Hurdle markets gets a major shake up.

I wouldnt write Sadlers Risk off but not sure what to make of Minsk after that. Surprised at Hobbs talking down Snap Tie in that preview.Dickie was talking him up in his tips on this  http://www.fatjockey.com/tips/.

Donnellys Hollow

Although Burrenbridge Lodge and Bat Masterson are no stars by any stretch of the imagination, I wouldn't totally dismiss Minsk off the back of that run. He was way too short beforehand in the betting but he might just be a fraction too big now. He'll enjoy the better ground and the stiffer test around Cheltenham. I really rate young Cooper but he didn't make use of the horse's undoubted stamina at all.

Haven't really looked at the Triumph in any great detail but I still think Darroun could run a big race. His defeat of DK's horse at Leopardstown is by far the best Irish juvenile form.

bcarrier

As you know, you are time enough looking at Triumph DH. Darroun has a good write up in previews I have seen. Tom Segal said Nicholls really likes Pearl Swan on Morning line last week so might be a case of backing whatever Ruby picks. Hobbs/King have best of English. Henderson has nothing for it this year. Backed Baby Run last time and cant forgive it.

bridge fan

mb80b60

Afternoon lads. I'm a long time lurker on the board, particularly on this thread - thought I'd finally bite the bullet and post!

Lads do ye see Hurricane Fly getting beat at Cheltenham.  i lumped on the 7/2 for it to win both hurdles and im considering whether or not to lay.

Cheers,
MB

RealSpiritof98

On Khee will win the 16.15 at Plumpton but I see it is now 5/6 was 9/2 when I was told.

Le Chasse Spleen is apparently a decent e/w bet at 14/1 with Ladbrokes. 15.15 Plumpton.

I know nothing about harsies. The person who told me supposedly does

Got above statement of a general gambling thread on a poker forum, do with it as u wish.

beer baron

Quote from: mb80b60 on February 27, 2012, 12:21:20 PM
Afternoon lads. I'm a long time lurker on the board, particularly on this thread - thought I'd finally bite the bullet and post!

Lads do ye see Hurricane Fly getting beat at Cheltenham.  i lumped on the 7/2 for it to win both hurdles and im considering whether or not to lay.

Cheers,
MB

Do not lay a bit of it i've the same bet done but only for a few pound,going to lump on on the day,can't see him being overly troubled by anything at all and with the English being the English i'm hoping the hype grows around Zarkandar and Binocular so i might get evens for the Hurricane  ;)!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 27, 2012, 12:37:18 PM
On Khee will win the 16.15 at Plumpton but I see it is now 5/6 was 9/2 when I was told.

Le Chasse Spleen is apparently a decent e/w bet at 14/1 with Ladbrokes. 15.15 Plumpton.

I know nothing about harsies. The person who told me supposedly does

Got above statement of a general gambling thread on a poker forum, do with it as u wish.

While you were betting on 2 snails crossing a path, when you were leaving the toss?

gaa.boy

Does anyone know of any links online which show UK racing for free (without having to place a bet on a bookmakers site)? Thanks.

Hardy

Quote from: gaa.boy on February 27, 2012, 03:09:05 PM
Does anyone know of any links online which show UK racing for free (without having to place a bet on a bookmakers site)? Thanks.

Betfair (betfair.com) has all Irish and  pretty much all British racing live. Register and post a minimum deposit (can't remember how much that is) and you can watch racing and loads of other sports.

Technically, you have to have a bet on the event to watch, but you can overcome that by placing a bet that won't be matched (e.g. €2 to win on the favourite at an asking price of 20/1), click through to the video coverage, then cancel the bet or let it lapse.

bridge fan

have the same bet done on hurrican fly for a few hundred also have him at 6/4 nrnb for same amount and i wont be layin off