The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 13, 2011, 03:00:09 PM
nice start to that double today DH, Stepstofreedom does the business so hopefully Nina can power that shorter priced fav home in front  ;)

He's a useful prospect that Steps To Freedom. It's obviously very early days but I think we'll have an above average crop of novice hurdlers this winter. The bumper form from last year looks quite decent even though none of them actually went to Cheltenham. Waaheb, Samain, Mount Benbulben and Lovethehigherlaw are all horses to look forward to over the next few weeks. Dylan Ross has already won over timber and there's a few nice horses off the flat that I'm hearing are going hurdling - Distant Memories has joined Tom Taaffe in recent days.

Bit of a turn up in the novice chase. Neither of the big guns landing a blow.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

Novice chases being the novices that they are, are normally ones to stay clear of as I tend to get them all wrong....  ???

the Irish hurdlers have been more miss than hit with the resurgence of the English raiders in recent years since the heady days of watching Brave Inca, Hardy Eustace, Macs Joy, et al so it would be good to see some real contenders come to the fore this season
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 13, 2011, 04:01:18 PM
Novice chases being the novices that they are, are normally ones to stay clear of as I tend to get them all wrong....  ???

the Irish hurdlers have been more miss than hit with the resurgence of the English raiders in recent years since the heady days of watching Brave Inca, Hardy Eustace, Macs Joy, et al so it would be good to see some real contenders come to the fore this season

It seems that Hurricane Fly is scaring off the hurdling competition. Peddlers Cross, Menorah, Solwhit and Oscar Whiskey are all going novice chasing. With Thousand Stars set to take on Big Bucks, if I was having a bet on a horse to chase home Hurricane Fly now it would probably be on Oscars Well.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 13, 2011, 04:09:24 PM

It seems that Hurricane Fly is scaring off the hurdling competition. Peddlers Cross, Menorah, Solwhit and Oscar Whiskey are all going novice chasing. With Thousand Stars set to take on Big Bucks, if I was having a bet on a horse to chase home Hurricane Fly now it would probably be on Oscars Well.

Too right! Well it is a machine after all. It'll be interesting to see how Oscars Well performs on its return to the track at Down Royal on the 4th November...  8)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 13, 2011, 04:14:49 PM

Too right! Well it is a machine after all. It'll be interesting to see how Oscars Well performs on its return to the track at Down Royal on the 4th November...  8)

I've had to re-evaluate my opinion of him after Cheltenham. I had him down as a bit of a staying mudlark (after winning the Grade 1 at Navan) but now I'm thinking 2 miles is going to be right up his alley. He ran so free at Cheltenham and I thought he was emptying when he made his mistake at the last. A strongly run 2 miles will probably see him in the best light.

Armaghgael

Ascot on Saturday
2.25: Ladies are forever e/w
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Family guy

Quote from: Candyman on October 13, 2011, 02:30:31 PM
4.40 Tilly Ann
Owner says its out to win... Got it at 9/2 there a short while ago!! (Don't shoot the messenger)

Well done,did well to get that horse up

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on October 13, 2011, 02:37:20 PM
Quote from: Candyman on October 13, 2011, 02:30:31 PM
4.40 Tilly Ann
Owner says its out to win... Got it at 9/2 there a short while ago!! (Don't shoot the messenger)

Fk sake Candyman.  I backed that earlier.  You're a ghost

Cried that out well

drici

Doogie Browser

Cheers Candyman got it at 5's.

Armaghgael

Any selections for tomorrow?
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 13, 2011, 04:31:02 PM

I've had to re-evaluate my opinion of him after Cheltenham. I had him down as a bit of a staying mudlark (after winning the Grade 1 at Navan) but now I'm thinking 2 miles is going to be right up his alley. He ran so free at Cheltenham and I thought he was emptying when he made his mistake at the last. A strongly run 2 miles will probably see him in the best light.

Connections & Jessie under the impression this one is the real deal. Can handle from soft to heavy ground (was in fine nick after the Grade 1 at Navan, hill and all) also handled the heavy going well at Leopardstown when it crusied to victory over Zaidpour by 5 and a half lengths, as for distance, untried I think over 2.5 miles but it hasnt been seen all out in the last furlong holding on, so far... the 20/1 on offer at the moment for the Champion Hurdle looks really appealing to me at present
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 13, 2011, 06:29:23 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 13, 2011, 04:31:02 PM

Connections & Jessie under the impression this one is the real deal. Can handle from soft to heavy ground (was in fine nick after the Grade 1 at Navan, hill and all) also handled the heavy going well at Leopardstown when it crusied to victory over Zaidpour by 5 and a half lengths, as for distance, untried I think over 2.5 miles but it hasnt been seen all out in the last furlong holding on, so far... the 20/1 on offer at the moment for the Champion Hurdle looks really appealing to me at present

I'd say he's the best value at present for the Champion Hurdle. I think he'd need something to go wrong with Hurricane Fly in the interim (not beyond the realms of possibility given HF's fragility)  to win the race though. HF's performance at Punchestown was simply breathtaking. He made high class horses like Menorah, Binocular and Thousand Stars look like mules. I genuinely think he has the raw ability to surpass Istabraq provided he stays sound.

bcarrier

Hughes gets second ban and hands in licence ?   :o What a mess.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bcarrier on October 13, 2011, 08:32:27 PM
Hughes gets second ban and hands in licence ?   :o What a mess.

Sensational news. I don't think anyone anticipated something like that breaking tonight.

Fair play to Dickie for having the balls to make a stand. I doubt his father-in-law is too impressed but I'm sure his aul fella will have a few nice hurdlers to keep him occupied during the winter.