The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

never kickt a ball

Next up?

beer baron

Any opinion on the Deauville 2.55 race Dh?Looks a good race,Goldikova,Dick Turpin,Cityscape and then Andre Fabres unbeaten mutual trust that i haven't seen run yet,i'll probably back Goldikova and chance cityscape or Dick turpin with her for a small forecast!

This is unless you fancy 1,in that case i'll just listen to you  ;)

I see planteur that you fancied to run so you think close is running too...

never kickt a ball

Quote from: beer baron on August 15, 2011, 01:44:46 PM
Any opinion on the Deauville 2.55 race Dh?Looks a good race,Goldikova,Dick Turpin,Cityscape and then Andre Fabres unbeaten mutual trust that i haven't seen run yet,i'll probably back Goldikova and chance cityscape or Dick turpin with her for a small forecast!

The head waiter on the hold up horse!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on August 15, 2011, 01:44:46 PM

Didn't even realise this race was on today! Shows how closely I've been following the flat this season.

Won't be long before the real stuff is back with Listowel now only one month away. I see that Graham Wylie is sending seven of his most promising younger horses over to Closutton so that should help ensure another winter of Mullins dominance.

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 13, 2011, 12:01:36 AM
Just let Seámie ride the horse instead of Joseph.

Shouldn't have opened my trap  ::)

beer baron

Did Willie get Tidal bay by any chance or is he gone to Nicholls,that's a horse that could win a good race if he gets his head right!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on August 15, 2011, 10:00:32 PM
Did Willie get Tidal bay by any chance or is he gone to Nicholls,that's a horse that could win a good race if he gets his head right!

Gone to Nicholls. I imagine he'll be racing primarily in staying chases and he's better off in England if that's the case where they have more of them in the calendar.

Willie got Back In Focus (Grade 2 novice hurdle winner last season), Boston Bob (promising p2p and bumper winner), Felix Yonger (ran down the field in Cheltenham bumper), On His Own (useful staying novice chaser last season), Prince De Beauchene (half-brother to Miko de Beauchene - possible future National horse), Drive Time (ex-Jim Bolger horse related to Strategic Prince) and Rupert Lamb (fairly moderate novice hurdler last season).

Nicholls might have got thirteen horses sent to him but I think Willie has done better out of the demise of Johnson's yard. Nicholls has been sent a fair few dogs but most of Willie's crop look decent. Back In Focus and Boston Bob will win good novice chases this winter.

ardchieftain

Agree DH, bring on the real tests of equine prowess. Have watched no more than half a dozen flat races this season

Donnellys Hollow

Called York badly wrong today to my cost.

Hard luck with Midday ML. Looked to me that Queally hit the front too soon again like at Epsom.

bridge fan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 17, 2011, 10:37:16 PM

Hard luck with Midday ML. Looked to me that Queally hit the front too soon again like at Epsom.

same as 

lightened the blow with mc coy in the last at hereford done it very easy but hard t know what it beat its a 5yo out of  Sadler's Wells  having it 1st run in a bumper

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bridge fan on August 17, 2011, 11:48:07 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 17, 2011, 10:37:16 PM

same as 

lightened the blow with mc coy in the last at hereford done it very easy but hard t know what it beat its a 5yo out of  Sadler's Wells  having it 1st run in a bumper

He's bred to be quite useful - Ballymacoll cast off, dam won a Ribblesdale and a Yorkshire Oaks, full-brother to Islington (who won two Yorkshire Oaks and a Breeders Cup Filly & Mare) and a half-brother to Mountain High (who won the Grand Prix at Saint Cloud a few years ago). That said, Rebecca Curtis also has another full-brother called Praxiteles who is a fairly moderate NH horse.

Wouldn't place too much faith in any horse running at Hereford. Willie Mullins' could send out the stable cat to win a bumper around there. Expect this horse to be running in JP's green and gold South Liberties silks when he starts over hurdles next time so!!!

Mickey Linden

Hearing great things about Henry Cecil's 2yo Thomas Chippendale who is out for the first time today. Hard to say how he will go today but one for the notebooks for next year

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Mickey Linden on August 19, 2011, 09:33:32 AM
Hearing great things about Henry Cecil's 2yo Thomas Chippendale who is out for the first time today. Hard to say how he will go today but one for the notebooks for next year

I hope he hasn't inherited his mother's attitude. She was one of the most frustrating horses in recent seasons.

Hardy

I’ve been looking for trends for trainers in form. Having paper traded for a while, I started yesterday with real money, following Michael Bell (7 winners from his last 20 runners before yesterday, strike rate 35%, ROI of 106% to level stakes win bets) and Roger Charlton (10 winners from his last 20 runners, SR=50%, ROI=172%).

Last week, on paper, Bell delivered 19.44 points profit on 8 one-point each way bets and Charlton delivered 29.98 on 10 bets.

Yesterday I had four bets of one point e.w. and made a profit of 6.26 points on my investment of 8 (ROI =78%) when Set To Music won at 12 on Betfair, 1.81 for the place.

Today, Prompter has just been touched off by half a length into 3rd  in the 2:00 at York at 30 (!), 6.4 for the place.

The problem with hot yards is that you don’t know when the streak is over and you’ll lose some of whatever (if any) you make before you realise it’s time to pull out. Or at worst, you notice the trend only when it’s over and step in just in time to take the losses.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, Bell has Margot Did in the 3:40 at York (25 on Betfair) and Charlton has Bated Breath in the same race (9.4) and Newnton Lodge in the 3:15 at Sandown (7.8 ) .

(Sorry for not mentioning this before now, but I wanted to get my feet wet before inviting people in for a dip. And sorry in advance if now is when it ends.)

Hardy

Newnton Lodge wins. This is going quite well.