Monaghan v Armagh Sat 22nd June Clones 7pm

Started by tonto1888, June 12, 2019, 07:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2019, 11:27:34 PM
This Armagh squad are a mile off the team the 2 Brian's left behind. That team were AI contenders for 3 years before Joe stepped in whilst the current team are a good bit off even challenging for an Ulster title, and not any feeling that there is an All Ireland there.

You are correct, although to be fair to Owen, the sense I get is that he meant that the best days of this team are possibly in the future, just as was the case with the team that the two Brians let go of.

Has McGeeney taken the team forward, well the jury would be out on that one. The county board would reappoint him in the morning and there is no chance he will walk away. The clubs on the other hand will be questioning the wisdom of reappointing a manager who has won one provincial match in 5 seasons and who have yo-yo'd up and down between div 2/3 and who has never shown any real interest in the club scene. I would say he has done a decent job overall given the talent available but a bit like like Liam Kearns in Tipperary, there comes a point where the players may need a fresh approach.

I think there is no doubt that if Geezer had been an outside manager, then he would have been gone by now. I do think he has been given more time because of his status and standing within the County. I don't get the sense within the County, at County Executive and County Board (the Clubs) level, that there is a desire for a change of direction after this year. There is no doubt though that there is a desire for change amongst some of the support.

armaghniac

The Two Brians brought a team backboned by the 1992 minor finalist team to become one of the top four teams and  Big Joe got them over the line.
You could draw parallels between the 2002 team having a core of players in their late 20s and some notable newcomers, then Ronan Clarke and Steven McDonnell, with the modern team of the 2009 minor champions and the addition of Rian O'Neill and Jarly Óg. But the core team are not at as high a level.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Armagh are my favourite team in  Ulster at the moment, as I like McGeeney and like the way Armagh play and love Jamie Clarke. But am hearing worrying things that things have improved drastically in the Monaghan camp since the Fermanagh win. Lads are flying in training and challenge matches.

Hope I'm wrong, but my prediction is Monaghan by 6 or 7.

balladmaker

Quote from: Hound on June 15, 2019, 09:08:52 PM
Armagh are my favourite team in  Ulster at the moment, as I like McGeeney and like the way Armagh play and love Jamie Clarke. But am hearing worrying things that things have improved drastically in the Monaghan camp since the Fermanagh win. Lads are flying in training and challenge matches.

Have Monaghan played a challenge match since beating Fermanagh last weekend?

illdecide

Quote from: balladmaker on June 15, 2019, 09:10:58 PM

Have Monaghan played a challenge match since beating Fermanagh last weekend?

Yip, their A team beat their B team by 10 pts on Thursday night after they played headers and volleys
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

SouthDublinBro

I expect this to be the dirtiest game of the championship by a long shot. A minimum of 5 red cards.

illdecide

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 15, 2019, 10:54:38 PM
I expect this to be the dirtiest game of the championship by a long shot. A minimum of 5 red cards.

Why?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Over the Bar

Armagh are my favourite team in  Ulster at the moment, as I like McGeeney and like the way Armagh play and love Jamie Clarke.

Did you hone that narrative style reading letters in Jackie and Smash Hits? ;D ;)

BennyCake

Quote from: illdecide on June 15, 2019, 11:13:10 PM

Why?

He clearly doesn't like Ulster football. Plus, he knows Armagh are a threat to his 5 in a row!

We're coming for you, SDB!

Main Street

You are wrong, Monaghan by 3 or 4 and no worries.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 15, 2019, 12:03:51 AM
This Armagh squad are a mile off the team the 2 Brian's left behind. That team were AI contenders for 3 years before Joe stepped in whilst the current team are a good bit off even challenging for an Ulster title, and not any feeling that there is an All Ireland there.

You are correct, although to be fair to Owen, the sense I get is that he meant that the best days of this team are possibly in the future, just as was the case with the team that the two Brians let go of.

Thanks Rufus. My point was that no matter what you think about McGeeney's work over five years, he could well believe that he is about to turn the corner and that a new manager coming in would add an extra factor which could bring even an Ulster championship without being a better manager. 

2 Brians took more than their fair share of criticism but they added a lot to the squad that was not always appreciated when a 'luckier' manager came in and won the AI. Lucky in that the younger additions turned out to be so important and that the things that seemed to run against the Brians didn't happen with JK. The fact that the same squad did not take one or two more AI showed that the new manager was not hugely better than his predecessors even as the squad matured into possibly the best group assembled by the county.

Apart from some combination of the former Cross management teams there is no obvious replacement for McGeeney, no enthusiasm among the decision makers to take a step in that direction and, outside the county, there just appears to be a merry go-round of managers with none outstanding.

Schkite

Quote from: illdecide on June 15, 2019, 11:13:10 PM

Why?

Look at his posting history. Clear troll who hates Ulster and Monaghan in particular for some reason.

smelmoth

Can we defer the McGeeney contract discussion until after our season is over?

Not trying to shut down debate. It's a legitimate debate and one that should be had in full but I don't see the point of discussing it on this thread before the game.

Ultimately we are not going to win the All Ireland so our season will end at some point in defeat. That's the time for the debate

smelmoth

On the game we have work to do but it's there to be won.

naka

good for you.