Kerry v Mayo - Super 8s Round 1

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 07, 2019, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on July 14, 2019, 06:10:13 PM
You'd also have to wonder why Andy Moran doesn't start. Surely trying to get wins in the here and now is more important than building for the future. Mayo really felt the loss of Durcan and D O'Connor today. Meath showed enough today to suggest that they could overturn Mayo next week.

Worrying for Meath they faded badly in the final quarter of today's game. Used up a lot energy in today's heat also just to be competitive before falling away and i doubt 1 week is enough time to fully recover from that.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Angelo

Kerry were very good but I think Mayo really felt the loss of Diarmuid O'Connor, Durcan and Ruane and they lost that running power around the middle that Kerry struggle to live with.

I thought the lack of pace inside for Mayo was a problem, Coen and O'Connor are good finishers but they struggled to win the ball kicked in.

Other than that, they were bet up a stick at midfield, destroyed on kickouts and their tackling was extremely poor.

Hurson is another one of those refs who is too busy looking for off the ball things rather than following the play.

Stephen O'Brien, Moran and Clifford seemed to be the pick of the Kerry players.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

Wasn't Ruane playing?

Clifford looks borderline unmarkable.

On today's showings Mayo and Donegal the big game and Kerry that bit above the rest.

highorlow

Re: Kerry v Mayo - Super 8s Round 1
« Reply #167 on: Today at 08:29:00 PM »
Wasn't Ruane playing?

Get off the weed
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

imtommygunn

Ah mix3d him up with someone else d'oh. Yes it must be all that weed ???

Farrandeelin

Played off the park from the 2nd minute.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Angelo on July 14, 2019, 08:13:25 PM
Kerry were very good but I think Mayo really felt the loss of Diarmuid O'Connor, Durcan and Ruane and they lost that running power around the middle that Kerry struggle to live with.

I thought the lack of pace inside for Mayo was a problem, Coen and O'Connor are good finishers but they struggled to win the ball kicked in.

Other than that, they were bet up a stick at midfield, destroyed on kickouts and their tackling was extremely poor.

Hurson is another one of those refs who is too busy looking for off the ball things rather than following the play.

Stephen O'Brien, Moran and Clifford seemed to be the pick of the Kerry players.

Three players that played in the defeat to Roscommon.  Mayo lacked pace all over due to heavy legs, loads of aimless kicking passing throughout that game and for defence full of All stars it was totally disjointed. I regarded the three most conditioned teams as Dublin,Tyrone,Mayo and Mayo are miles behind the other two in conditioning right now.

macdanger2

Well done Kerry, much the better team today.

Destroyed on kickouts, some awful passing and players not close enough to their man all over the field.

We definitely missed the legs around the middle with the 3 injured players

It's going to be difficult for Horan to get the players up for next weekend after a tanking like that

dublin7

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 14, 2019, 08:47:41 PM
Played off the park from the 2nd minute.

If Hennelly had put in a performance in goal like Clarke did today there would be people calling for his head. That was as bad as it gets in the 1st half. His kick outs seemed to hang in the air for an eternity and it killed Mayo time and again. He  made it easy for Kerry players (especially Moran) to attack with his style of  almost lobbing them out to midfield.

Erne Man

I think Horan owes his players big time over the next 2 games. Yes Kerry were superb all over their field the field, but Mayo set up was shockingly naive from the off. Leaving defenders isolated 1 on 1, no visible strategy for their own or Kerry kickouts, wrong match ups etc.
Neither Tyrone or Dublin will leave the Kerry inside line 1 on 1, or as much space for the runners from deep.
Difficult to see Mayo recovering from this one.

From the Bunker

Being saying this for a while now. This is not 2017 anymore! Mayo are still wise enough to grind out wins against the mediocre teams. But our lads are old or battle weary! This is not the end but it is another stage towards the end!

moysider

Quote from: Erne Man on July 14, 2019, 09:16:15 PM
I think Horan owes his players big time over the next 2 games. Yes Kerry were superb all over their field the field, but Mayo set up was shockingly naive from the off. Leaving defenders isolated 1 on 1, no visible strategy for their own or Kerry kickouts, wrong match ups etc.
Neither Tyrone or Dublin will leave the Kerry inside line 1 on 1, or as much space for the runners from deep.
Difficult to see Mayo recovering from this one.

It is. Do you really think Horan will do something different next 2 games than he usually does? 

From the Bunker

Will be interesting to see how many Mayo fans go to Croke Park next weekend. Given the itinerary the last couple of weeks. Today was like an end of season midtable premiership match. There are of course a heap of Mayo people living in Dublin and of course the 5k season ticket holders are blackmailed into attending.

Mayo are really depending on Kerry beating Donegal next weekend. If they don't Mayo are as good as gone!

WhoDat

As abject and toothless a performance as I've seen from a Mayo team in a long time. Some of them didn't even look remotely interested in being there and beaten to every ball from the first minute. Kerry looked hungrier and more up for it from the word go. I guess this is what happens when injuries and games on top of games add up. Kerry had a couple of weeks to prepare for this game while Mayo have been bouncing from game to game, week in and week out while juggling injuries. It caught up with them. Kerry were fresh and prepared while Mayo looked out on their feet. The scheduling for these games is an absolute mess. It shouldn't be that one team is able to bounce into this phase of the competition after a couple of weeks' break while another is doing multiple games on the trot just to get to the next phase where they will have to continue playing week in week out in the Super 8s. Every team should be given some breathing space to prepare for this stage of the competition.

That said, Mayo were miserable to watch. Leggy, disinterested, kickouts an absolute shit show from the word go, defenders seriously lacking pace, forwards receiving the worst ball imaginable. When you make Shane Enright look like a quality defender, you know something is seriously amiss with your team.

It's a serious uphill battle for Mayo now. I'm not even sure they'll beat Meath, I don't even know if they'll win a single game in this Super 8s. I'm also not sure Kerry will do them a favour next week either and beat Donegal.

moysider

Shame the football ruined a great day down in Killarney. The town before the game was packed but relaxed at the same time. Pity we didn't get a contest to match the venue and occasion. Cant't blame Kerry though. They showed up.