Kerry v Mayo - Super 8s Round 1

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 07, 2019, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2019, 01:13:52 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2019, 12:32:18 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 07, 2019, 11:45:12 PM
Tonight Sean Cavanagh and Malachy O'Rourke on the Sunday game tipped Mayo to win in Killarney and to join Donegal in the semi final. Pat Spillane couldn't bring himself to do likewise using if they were to win next Sunday but knows full well that Kerry are poor in defence,midfield and are a poor physical match for Mayo.

I dunno. Mayo invite everybody to dance with them. Everybody knows that.

Like last few weeks they probably made Down and Armagh feel better than they have in years. Galway persisted in Limerick even when 8 points down because they knew they would get some sympathy. If they were 8 down to Tyrone. Dublin, Donegal or Kerry, they would have gone home for their tea.

Mayo would have given Clare and Laois the time of their lives as well. That's what we do. We would have let Cork have a run on us and they would have finished us.

Now we are in Super8s, anything can happen.
We've lost a few players and we've found a few. The 'miles on the clock' theory is bullshit of course.
It's about form now and making good decisions. At least Horan put out his most practical set up I remember in Limerick. If he did that v Roscommon this odyssey could have been avoided. On the other hand .........

We ve had a few forwards come along that if they were from some other counties that I wont mention, would be nadwek over.

Mayo have 3 wins in a row under their belts now, doesn't matter how they were achieved as winning them was the main thing and that will be the same down in Killarney next Sunday. Do you think anyone will care in the Mayo camp if they are leading that game by 10 points with 5 minutes to go and only win by 1 point?
I know but they are riding their luck and sooner or later this is gonna end in tears. Fact is they should bate Kerry half way up Carrantouhill but will they though? This worrying trend of losing the plot and letting inferior teams back int the game when they should be closing the game down is becoming ingrained at this stage if the season and will probably happen again on Sunday. They were good enough o beat every team they met  by at least 4 or 5 points since the last game against Kerry down in Tralee and barely survived all but one. That one they lost to Roscommon and that defeat is the cause of Mayo having to play three extra games to get where they are now. Having finally shook the Galway monkey offa their backs and having beaten Kerry twice already this year, I expect Mayo to be at least 5 points the better side but I won't be easy no matter what until the gate is locked up and every one has gone home!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2019, 01:13:52 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2019, 12:32:18 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 07, 2019, 11:45:12 PM
Tonight Sean Cavanagh and Malachy O'Rourke on the Sunday game tipped Mayo to win in Killarney and to join Donegal in the semi final. Pat Spillane couldn't bring himself to do likewise using if they were to win next Sunday but knows full well that Kerry are poor in defence,midfield and are a poor physical match for Mayo.

I dunno. Mayo invite everybody to dance with them. Everybody knows that.

Like last few weeks they probably made Down and Armagh feel better than they have in years. Galway persisted in Limerick even when 8 points down because they knew they would get some sympathy. If they were 8 down to Tyrone. Dublin, Donegal or Kerry, they would have gone home for their tea.

Mayo would have given Clare and Laois the time of their lives as well. That's what we do. We would have let Cork have a run on us and they would have finished us.

Now we are in Super8s, anything can happen.
We've lost a few players and we've found a few. The 'miles on the clock' theory is bullshit of course.
It's about form now and making good decisions. At least Horan put out his most practical set up I remember in Limerick. If he did that v Roscommon this odyssey could have been avoided. On the other hand .........

We ve had a few forwards come along that if they were from some other counties that I wont mention, would be nadwek over.

Mayo have 3 wins in a row under their belts now, doesn't matter how they were achieved as winning them was the main thing and that will be the same down in Killarney next Sunday. Do you think anyone will care in the Mayo camp if they are leading that game by 10 points with 5 minutes to go and only win by 1 point?

Or lose by 1 point!

That's the thing. Mayo had a hurling lead v Galway but still nervy. Vaughan's point should have been a goal and game closed out for an 8 point win but we give them oxygen.
We do not do the simple housekeeping well.
I'm long enough around to know what we are like and while it's mad it's the reason I will be in Killarney next weekend, with the help of God. More drama. More madness.

blanketattack

I see paddy power has it 8/15 for Kerry, 15/8 Mayo or Kerry to win by 2 going by the handicap betting and I think that's about right. Mayo lost at home to Roscommon and Kerry beat Cork away and Cork and Roscommon are about the same. Also Kerry haven't lost a championship game at home since 1995. 

galwayman

If this game was being played anywhere but Killarney I would say Mayo without a shadow of a doubt.
The fact it's in Killarney gives Kerry a far better chance I think.
But I still think Mayo will win.

thewobbler

Quote from: blanketattack on July 08, 2019, 08:36:00 AM
I see paddy power has it 8/15 for Kerry, 15/8 Mayo or Kerry to win by 2 going by the handicap betting and I think that's about right. Mayo lost at home to Roscommon and Kerry beat Cork away and Cork and Roscommon are about the same. Also Kerry haven't lost a championship game at home since 1995.

That's really quite disparaging towards the Rossies

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on July 08, 2019, 08:45:16 AM
If this game was being played anywhere but Killarney I would say Mayo without a shadow of a doubt.
I don't know if Kerry are that good
they didn't go past the last 8 last year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BenDover

I'll be down in Killarney for this game, tried to get tickets online there but there's none available atm - is it too early? I'll keep trying, but which shops in Killarney sell tickets?

Tubberman

Quote from: BenDover on July 08, 2019, 09:09:01 AM
I'll be down in Killarney for this game, tried to get tickets online there but there's none available atm - is it too early? I'll keep trying, but which shops in Killarney sell tickets?

Centra and SuperValu sell the tickets.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: BenDover on July 08, 2019, 09:09:01 AM

Apparently they're not available online until 10 this morning.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blanketattack

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2019, 08:47:58 AM

That's really quite disparaging towards the Rossies

Bookies have it Evens for Cork and Evens for Roscommon in their mstch

RedHand88

In fairness most of those are against Clare and Waterford.

blanketattack

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 08, 2019, 10:05:55 AM

In fairness most of those are against Clare and Waterford.

Also includes Monaghan.
Monaghan at home is no gimme, right? :P

Kurtz

Quote from: galwayman on July 08, 2019, 08:45:16 AM

Current Kerry team are afraid of Mayo

highorlow

Who's our ref this weekend?

Have to say the last 2 refs were excellent for us. We will need more help on Sunday.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

Very pleased to have reached the last eight , satisfactory season no matter what happens now . You'd imagine the amount of games will take its toll now and Kerry will expose that in the second half of this game with a young pacey forward unit and big David Moran dominating the middle . Kerry by seven plus .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .