Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Ah lads the video of the Kerry and Dubs fans having a sing off and then all joining in singing "f**k Tyrone" is possibly the funniest/best thing I've seen in ages. Brilliant!!

tyroneman

Quote from: Rossfan on September 02, 2019, 10:36:27 AM
If only Tyrone had got to the Final...... ::)

Tyrone are nowhere near the level needed to beat Dublin.

trueblue1234

Quote from: screenexile on September 02, 2019, 11:19:33 AM
Ah lads the video of the Kerry and Dubs fans having a sing off and then all joining in singing "f**k Tyrone" is possibly the funniest/best thing I've seen in ages. Brilliant!!

Good to still be thought about!!  :)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

The Hill is Blue

Why the very noisy booing of Diarmuid Connolly when he came on? I would have expected more from the usually very sporting Kerry supporters.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

clarshack

where can this be viewed?

trueblue1234

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 02, 2019, 11:24:46 AM
Why the very noisy booing of Diarmuid Connolly when he came on? I would have expected more from the usually very sporting Kerry supporters.

What were the thoughts on him taking on that shot at the end? I know it was central but must have been 50M out. I thought it was fairly clear that Dublin were passing the ball around trying to create space for a high % shot and think that was a waste.

That said, can you imagine the roar had he landed it. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

Jim Gavin will be a relieved man this morning. Outwitted by Keabe yesterday and he made a lot of uncharacteristic errors on the line both with substitutions and lack of changes. It was obvious from early on that Cooper was struggling with Clifford and as soon as he was on a yellow card he still left him on Cliffford playing inside which was a recipe for disaster given Coopers tendency to play on the edge.

I seen enough yesterday to think that Kerry have a good chance in the replay as well, they have a lot of young players who stood up to the mark yesterday and there is no reason to believe that they won't do likewise again in 2 weeks time. Defensively they were much better than I expected whilst O'Shea was excellent from both free kicks and in open play. Dublin are still worthy favourites but even if kerry don't win the title this year they could go on to dominate for the next few years given the age profile of a lot of their players.   

Hound

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM

What were the thoughts on him taking on that shot at the end? I know it was central but must have been 50M out. I thought it was fairly clear that Dublin were passing the ball around trying to create space for a high % shot and think that was a waste.

It was exactly 45m out, straight in front of the posts. Well within Diarmo's range, so well worth a pop.

Paddy Small had a couple of efforts that were very low percentage though. Of course, always easy in hindsight!

tbrick18

I thought it was a fantastic game. Great atmosphere, plenty of drama and no shortage of talent on show.
I don't think Cooper can have any complaints. Gough, in all 3 instances of penalty, yellow cards and sending off, I think applied the rules to the letter. Cooper was really struggling on Clifford which was where the real problem lay.

I have to say, tactically I think Kerry didn't take advantage of the spare man, though are probably unlucky to not have won the game.
A lot being said of Dublin not performing, I think Kerry didn't let them perform.
Jack McCaffery was un-markable yesterday. Unbelievable player.
Kerry lucky they didn't lose their corner back, but I heard the commentary last night on TSG that he hadn't any ticks to his name, only a yellow. So another foul would probably have had him on the line to.
Kerry may have missed the boat, but I thought they hadn't a hope this week and look what happened.
Looking forward to the replay.

thebuzz

Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 02, 2019, 10:58:43 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on September 02, 2019, 10:29:51 AM
Not sure where all the Kerry hype is coming from.

Dublin were very comfortable with 15 men, holding Kerry at arms length.

Kerry struggled to even get ahead of 14 men for the best part of the second half and were still dependent on Rock missing a (albeit difficult ) free not to lose.

Add in that several Dublin players were under par, Gavin was unusually poor with his decision making and most of the Kerry team played out of their skins.....

Bit of a one sided view of the game. Kerry should have been ahead with 15 on 15 and quite often in games 14 v 15 doesn't make as big a difference as is made out.

Kerry missed a serious amount of chances in the first 20 minutes when on top. I'm sure part of the reason some of the Dublin players were poor was because they were well marked/their opponents played well. A lot of new Kerry players who could well learn from yesterdays experience. I'm also not convinced Dublin's bench is as good as it once was. If I was putting money on the replay it would be Dublin to win by 5 or 6 but I'd have said the same yesterday and expect another battle in two weeks times.

Being down to 14 men isn't nearly as big a deal as being down to 10 men in soccer. The team who lose the man quite often become more galvanised and with 14 there isn't that big a difference.

Tyrone beat Derry in '95 with 13 men. :( :( :(

Tyrdub

can someone post this up please?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Tyrdub on September 02, 2019, 12:10:59 PM

can someone post this up please?

Or was it a screenexile dream ;D

tbrick18

Did anyone else notice Jason Sherlock running onto the pitch for practically every Kerry kickout in the first half? He seemed to make a bee line for anywhere within the Kerry half where there was space and sometimes seemed to just run in a loop around it. The pessimist in me thought it looked like Dublin were getting another body on the pitch to make it seem more crowded for the Kerry kickouts. I know nothing illegal about what he was doing, but it did seem un-sporting to me.
Only an opinion from a neutral and wonder did anyone notice this or was it just me making something out of nothing.

One think I would criticise Gough about, there were a few times in the latter stages of the game when players went down injured and he made keepers take a kickout and on one occasion he waved off the medical staff off the pitch. Dangerous craic that, might have been gamesmanship but could have been serious injuries too.

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM

Most decent club players would have fancied that one. For one of the most talented players to ever play the game you'd expect him to score that in his sleep. Thank god he missed it though.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Looking forward to the replay now, should be another classic. The difference between the Mayo-Dublin and Kerry-Dublin games is that you never really believed Mayo had the forwards to get over the line, while Kerry most certainly do.

Clifford mixed the good with the bad. Something that isn't really been talked about is how well he did to get Cooper sent off. Cooper's second yellow came from Clifford very cleverly getting Cooper on the wrong side. That said, he missed a few simple enough chances that he'll need to pop over the next day.