Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: ONeill on April 23, 2018, 04:11:20 PM
Big game on Thursday. Hoping Ozil and Wilshere are added to the squad ok. In recent years Arsenal have flopped when the presure is really on in Europe, often over by half time - hopefully the back 4 or 5 or 3 play beyond their norm for Arsene's last home game in Europe at this club.

Eh?? Wenger era European campaigns a failure one and all, buckled that many times its shambolic. 2000 UEFA Cup Final v Galatasaray, shambolic, bottled it massively.

Couple of good results here and there yes but on balance didn't make close to the impact they should have in 20 years.

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on April 23, 2018, 04:11:20 PM
Big game on Thursday. Hoping Ozil and Wilshere are added to the squad ok. In recent years Arsenal have flopped when the presure is really on in Europe, often over by half time - hopefully the back 4 or 5 or 3 play beyond their norm for Arsene's last home game in Europe at this club.

Winning his first European trophy beating a top side like Athletico on the way and handing his successor a passport to the CL, giving the club a big recruiting tool, would be a great sign off for Wenger.

Maroon Manc

I like Wenger but he's not been a top manager for a long long time. Even when he had great teams he did nothing in Europe, not winning the UEFA cup with that team was pathetic; Arsenal were easily amongst the top 5 sides in Europe back then. He had a great chance to win the CL in 03/04 after drawing Chelsea in the quarter finals who knocked them out, if they'd beaten them they'd have had to beat Monaco & Porto to win it. They were never going to get an easier route than that.

Arsenal's record against the top side domestically and in Europe the past decade is poor, he should have gone last season after winning the FA Cup. 

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Big ask. Got a curry and some beer here for good luck. That might be all that gets enjoyed.

Syferus

Madrid down to 10 men and Simeone sent off too. It's on.

ONeill

4 decent chances first 20 mins. Pool would be 4-0 up.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2018, 08:22:14 PM
Madrid down to 10 men and Simeone sent off too. It's on.
I see Giant Haystacks has taken over Simeone's duties
Careful now

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on April 26, 2018, 08:27:42 PM
4 decent chances first 20 mins. Pool would be 4-0 up.

More like 4-3 up.

Puckoon

Syferus

Lacazette is really starting to show his quaility now.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Captain Obvious

Smash and grab draw for Atletico Madrid helped by some awful defending. Wasteful Arsenal paid the price.

ONeill

That defending summed up the last 10 years.

Puckoon