Willie Barret - Referees Development Chairman

Started by Dinny Breen, August 13, 2018, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

He should resign, the standard of refereeing is at all time low.

If Anthony Nolan is one of the best referee's in the country then it's time to bring back Seamus Aldridge.

This notion that unless it can be implemented at club level the it can't be introduced is ridiculous, the pace of inter-county football is miles ahead of the highest club standard.

If the GAA can have full time administrators then it's time for full-time referees.

5 per province for football and hurling- refereeing Jan -Sep, training and educating referees - Oct - Dec.

Put them on a retainer of 25k and then a match fee.

#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

Rossfan

Hmmmmmm. ...
But why for Hurling -sure the ref is only a score keeper.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on August 13, 2018, 03:03:52 PM
Hmmmmmm. ...
But why for Hurling -sure the ref is only a score keeper.

Can you imagine the whinging if we didn't....
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

This is what happens when you stop giving games to the elite refs from Meath.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

clarshack

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 13, 2018, 02:57:50 PM

If Anthony Nolan is one of the best referee's in the country then it's time to bring back Seamus Aldridge.

This notion that unless it can be implemented at club level the it can't be introduced is ridiculous, the pace of inter-county football is miles ahead of the highest club standard.

If the GAA can have full time administrators then it's time for full-time referees.

5 per province for football and hurling- refereeing Jan -Sep, training and educating referees - Oct - Dec.

that's a good idea and definitely needs looked at.

Gael85

Nolan was very poor in u20 final. He gave ye nothing in first half and we could got a couple frees in second half. In GAA the worse a referee performs they seem to be rewarded with more games. Considering Nolan is one of few referees to have played inter county level thought would be a lot better as a referee as implying common sense.

yellowcard

The standard of refereeing is very poor alright but the inconsistency in how different referees interpret things from one game to the next is a big part of the reason. It is a difficult game to referee but there is a distinct lack of physicality allowed by most referees in the current game. Paying full time referees is certainly not a route that I would like to see and I don't think that will ever happen in any case. The GPA would be up in arms. Plus it doesn't actually guarantee anything, there are plenty of poor full time officials in the premier league and they are full time. 

Dinny Breen

Quote from: yellowcard on August 13, 2018, 03:23:12 PM

The standard of refereeing is very poor alright but the inconsistency in how different referees interpret things from one game to the next is a big part of the reason. It is a difficult game to referee but there is a distinct lack of physicality allowed by most referees in the current game. Paying full time referees is certainly not a route that I would like to see and I don't think that will ever happen in any case. The GPA would be up in arms. Plus it doesn't actually guarantee anything, there are plenty of poor full time officials in the premier league and they are full time.

Surely a professional approach would help with that uniformity that is required for consistency. They will be training and working together, we need group think.
#newbridgeornowhere

yellowcard

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 13, 2018, 03:26:55 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 13, 2018, 03:23:12 PM

Surely a professional approach would help with that uniformity that is required for consistency. They will be training and working together, we need group think.

Perhaps it might, but you can have a professional approach without paying them full time salaries. Some of them have big enough egos as it is, I can only imagine what they would be like if they had it as a full time profession.   

Mayo Mick

In fairness the gap left by the two Duffy's retirement is not easy to fill in a hurry.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

sligoman2

I've been advocating 2 refs (one in each half ) for years, nobody can keep up with the pace and nobody has eyes in the back of their head, I strongly feel that 2 refs would lead to better calls (closer to the play) and would help eliminate the amount of off the ball nonsense that is currently in the game.  I think we all see that Gaelic football is losing its appeal due to strategy and fixing the referee issue is only one of several changes required.  50,000 at an AI semi-final involving the dubs is a definite indication of the lack of interest in the modern game...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

AQMP

Oh for a ref with the dedication to implementing the rules of my fellow county man John Gough.  He set the standard in '83.

Jinxy

Think we need a separate set of rules for the inter-county game tbh.
Some things, i.e. the two refs, would work well at county level but simply wouldn't be practical at club level.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

I don't think we need two refs. We need to use the other 7 officials that are supposed to be helping to run the game. They are all mic'ed up, so let the umpires, linesmen and fourth official advise the referee of off the ball frees etc.