?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

ned

Quote from: An Watcher on August 14, 2018, 09:17:59 PM
Lads the slow death is happening for years.  God knows what level Celtic will be at in 30 years.  Sad state of affairs when the domestic league is so poor.  A stronger rangers would help but don't think it would help massively.  Unless they get into the premier league or some sort of Euro league the club will get smaller and smaller

Why a strong Rangers? Aberdeen, hibs, hearts?
We were unlucky this round. Missing our two best CB's and with half fit strikers. In other circumstances we would have won that. f**k the English premier league. I watched Aberdeen run burnley close in the Europa League. Outside the top six that league is mediocre. Celtic are where we are, this pattern has been repeated for the last 20 years. We aren't really any further forward or back since MON came in.

Targetman

Well feck that anyway, dominated possession for large parts of that game but yet again the inability to defend costs us in Europe, not good enough and better off out of the champions league playing like that, should have opened the biscuit tin and bought a couple of decent defenders!!

bannside

In 3 hours football against Athens you could count on one hand how many times we looked like scoring. Defensively we look as if anyone could score against us. Ned is right we are where we are.  A mile away in European terms.

Milltown Row2

Fearon was right, Rodgers is a fake
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2018, 12:45:46 AM
Fearon was right, Rodgers is a fake
His teeth and tan are certainly fake anyway.

yellowcard

Rodgers European record has been dismal both with Liverpool and Celtic. I think that this will be his last season in Scotland now before he departs back to England. 

ned

Quote from: yellowcard on August 15, 2018, 08:43:19 AM
Rodgers European record has been dismal both with Liverpool and Celtic. I think that this will be his last season in Scotland now before he departs back to England.

CGAF what he did at Liverpool but with Celtic he has very much done as expected in Europe up til now. Should have beaten AEK so that is a blemish. Still have the Europa league so will wait and see before throwing dismal opinion about. BR has no intention of going back to England yet. English football is not the be all and end all as shown by their dismal European offerings.

Orior

Celtic have had a few years in the Champions League, and taken a few hidings. Without investment, they would continue to get thumped in the CL.

So, the Europa League is their best option, and will give the fans something to cheer.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

clarshack

Quote from: Orior on August 15, 2018, 10:34:38 AM
Celtic have had a few years in the Champions League, and taken a few hidings. Without investment, they would continue to get thumped in the CL.

So, the Europa League is their best option, and will give the fans something to cheer.

I think it would have been worse this year especially with that defence.

Applesisapples

Celtic in the Champions League is like Fermangh or Armagh in the Super 8's only going to end in defeat.I would be more concerned at the way the game went against Hearts than getting beaten by AEK who at the end of the day have more cash at their disposal and are from a larger country. Europa League is where Celtic should be aiming. That said some of the current squad look jaded and it needss freshening up. I suspect though we are in Lennon territory with Rodgers, he will walk because of lack of ambition or investment. who can blame him, Celtic fans deserve better from this Board.

maldini

AEK don't have a bigger budget than Celtic. They've spent very little compared to Celtic who spent £9m in breaking their transfer record on Eduoard.
Can't see Rodgers walking, where's he going to go to? He'll enjoy the battle with Gerrard in the coming months.
Agree with the Armagh/Fermanagh comparison though. Celtic would take several hammerings in the CL again, Europa league is more their level

clarshack

Quote from: maldini on August 15, 2018, 10:57:04 AM
AEK don't have a bigger budget than Celtic. They've spent very little compared to Celtic who spent £9m in breaking their transfer record on Eduoard.
Can't see Rodgers walking, where's he going to go to? He'll enjoy the battle with Gerrard in the coming months.
Agree with the Armagh/Fermanagh comparison though. Celtic would take several hammerings in the CL again, Europa league is more their level

Celtic should be competitive enough in the Europa group stage- as long as the playoff round isn't messed up.

now that there won't be any champions league cash, will any more players be sold now?

trailer

Think Celtic will struggle to get into the Europa League. The away leg could be very tricky.

laoislad

Quote from: ned on August 15, 2018, 09:29:28 AM

CGAF what he did at Liverpool but with Celtic he has very much done as expected in Europe up til now. Should have beaten AEK so that is a blemish. Still have the Europa league so will wait and see before throwing dismal opinion about. BR has no intention of going back to England yet. English football is not the be all and end all as shown by their dismal European offerings.
All English teams made it out of the group stages. 2 made it to the 1/4 finals and one made it to the final...pretty dismal alright ..
Celtic got hammered by PSG twice 5-0 and 7-1 and you think Rodgers did what was expected...lol
Rodgers will be back in England in the next season or 2.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ned

Quote from: laoislad on August 15, 2018, 11:28:54 AM
Quote from: ned on August 15, 2018, 09:29:28 AM

All English teams made it out of the group stages. 2 made it to the 1/4 finals and one made it to the final...pretty dismal alright ..
Celtic got hammered by PSG twice 5-0 and 7-1 and you think Rodgers did what was expected...lol
Rodgers will be back in England in the next season or 2.

When is the last time an English team won the CL? Liverpool were outclassed in the final last year.
3 CL and 3 EL winners this century. That is a very poor return for such a prestigious league!

What would you expect Celtic to achieve in Europe? Reaching the group stages of CL is good going with our budget. Anything beyond is bonus territory. Oh to be able to spend £15m on a benchwarmer. We have had two very difficult groups to negotiate, coming up against European superpowers each time. This year is disappointing but we will get years where we don't qualify due to coming up against a good team. I'm realistic on our expectations and BR has delivered very much what was expected up to now. The CL has become a closed shop. It's ridiculous that 16 places go to just four countries automatically. Finishing fourth should not be rewarded so easily.