2018 Ulster Club Minor Tournament

Started by bloody mary, December 16, 2018, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Great tournament, been there numerous times, lucky enough to have watched us win one,  we've lost a couple of finals as well. I Thought it was powerful, but I wasn't involved in team prep and was likely well watered and fed in the clubhouse on each occasion.

OgraAnDun

Having played in it quite recently I think it's a great tournament. I think the Ulster council should take it over and run it off alongside the senior championship though. Having it at Christmas time is good for a spectator but it's a bit of a pain as a player!

thewobbler

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 18, 2018, 07:59:18 PM
Having played in it quite recently I think it's a great tournament. I think the Ulster council should take it over and run it off alongside the senior championship though. Having it at Christmas time is good for a spectator but it's a bit of a pain as a player!

The tournament is run off in December to minimise conflict with MacRory Cup, Rannafast Cup and Ulster Club. It is the genuinely only sensible place for it in the calendar.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 18, 2018, 03:04:34 PM
No, I've no plans to do so. A meaningless tournament with no official standing. Akin to a friendly match. It's actually a danger to let children participate. When you compare it with the Feile you realise that there's no comparison.

Which Feile? The official 1 with loads of teams taking part? Or the unofficial 1 which is where the best teams play?

bennydorano

Who would be favourites now, any betting about? Derry hoors always hard beat.

restorepride

Quote from: bloody mary on December 18, 2018, 05:14:28 PM
I think anyone who hasn't been up to St Paul's for a few years would be impressed by the improvement in facilities. There is a new terraced area for supporters which is really excellent, much better than before, no grassy banks any more, all concreted with shops, barriers, fencing, etc. There is also a new first-class all-weather warm-up area for teams, plus the pitch surface is vastly improved. The club will admit themselves that the pitch was a weak point in years gone by but they have worked very hard on it, plus several games have been played this year at Colaiste Feirste which is one of the best GAA facilities I have seen, both for spectators and players. In every interview, players and managers talk about the honour and excitement of playing in the Tournament, whether they are new to it, like Inniskeen last Sunday, or Bellaghy who are trying to emulate their previous generation who won it in the 1990s. It's quite incredible that the competition has been hosted every single year in all sorts of climate, both weather and political, since the early 1980s. The host club members have always stepped up to the plate, whether to clear snow or do umpires or whatever, year in year out, giving up their Boxing Day and New Year's Day. The tournament has also inspired an U-16 version in Dromore and an U-21 version in Creggan. But at the end of the day it's up to the players and clubs to take part or not, and every year they come from all parts of Ulster. In 2012, Kilcar left home at 6am to play and an unknown Paddy McBrearty banged in a great goal. 9 months later Paddy won the Sam Maguire. Not that it's all about winning. In fact, Kilcar lost that day. I do recall the Final where the presentation was made in awful conditions a few years ago, but that can happen and of course it is worse when you lose, but it is custom for losing teams to watch the presentation, no matter what the weather is. Half an hour later, everyone was sat down enjoying a 3-course meal in the clubhouse. By the way, it is an official competition, sanctioned by Ulster Council.
A quare spake, Mary. Maith thú!

Tyrdub

Quote from: restorepride on December 19, 2018, 06:31:32 PM
Quote from: bloody mary on December 18, 2018, 05:14:28 PM
I think anyone who hasn't been up to St Paul's for a few years would be impressed by the improvement in facilities. There is a new terraced area for supporters which is really excellent, much better than before, no grassy banks any more, all concreted with shops, barriers, fencing, etc. There is also a new first-class all-weather warm-up area for teams, plus the pitch surface is vastly improved. The club will admit themselves that the pitch was a weak point in years gone by but they have worked very hard on it, plus several games have been played this year at Colaiste Feirste which is one of the best GAA facilities I have seen, both for spectators and players. In every interview, players and managers talk about the honour and excitement of playing in the Tournament, whether they are new to it, like Inniskeen last Sunday, or Bellaghy who are trying to emulate their previous generation who won it in the 1990s. It's quite incredible that the competition has been hosted every single year in all sorts of climate, both weather and political, since the early 1980s. The host club members have always stepped up to the plate, whether to clear snow or do umpires or whatever, year in year out, giving up their Boxing Day and New Year's Day. The tournament has also inspired an U-16 version in Dromore and an U-21 version in Creggan. But at the end of the day it's up to the players and clubs to take part or not, and every year they come from all parts of Ulster. In 2012, Kilcar left home at 6am to play and an unknown Paddy McBrearty banged in a great goal. 9 months later Paddy won the Sam Maguire. Not that it's all about winning. In fact, Kilcar lost that day. I do recall the Final where the presentation was made in awful conditions a few years ago, but that can happen and of course it is worse when you lose, but it is custom for losing teams to watch the presentation, no matter what the weather is. Half an hour later, everyone was sat down enjoying a 3-course meal in the clubhouse. By the way, it is an official competition, sanctioned by Ulster Council.
A quare spake, Mary. Maith thú!

Here Here!!

brokencrossbar1

Didn't make it but great to be back in the final here. It will be a tough ask to win it as the 2 other teams left are very ah day from what I believe but well done to our leads for even making it. 12 starters underage next year I believe so morning so bad!  Hard luck to Ballyholland

imtommygunn

Really entertaining game today. Bellaghy 10-1 up at half time with st eunans lucky enough to even get a score then bellaghy end up winning by, i think, a point in the end and were lucky enough. A few mistakes at key times cost letterkenny. Not 100 % sure on final score but was something like 0-16 to 3-6.

bloody mary

St Eunan's were TEN points down, 0-11 to 0-1 & without a score from play, but they then hit these THREE goals in 10 minutes to lead Bellaghy but still lost their semi-final.. https://youtu.be/zq3ti57DL3s

bloody mary

Best Scores at St Paul's - See 11 terrific efforts, starting with Darragh Canavan but possibly ending with the winner in Peter McEniff from St Eunan's.. https://youtu.be/WTHtojnCzBM

imtommygunn

Bellaghy winning handy early in second half - 4-8 to 0-6.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 01:58:40 PM
Bellaghy winning handy early in second half - 4-8 to 0-6.

That makes the Dunloy team look good!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea