2020/21 All Ireland Football Championship

Started by Angelo, June 06, 2020, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2020, 11:26:47 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 27, 2020, 09:21:47 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2020, 07:43:33 AM
Quote from: clarshack on June 26, 2020, 11:11:09 PM
Tyrone and Donegal completely fcuked over in all this.

Yeah imagine. Two counties who haven't got close to winning an AI in 12 and 6 years respectively are the big losers?

Did it ever cross your mind that I order to win an AI, Dublin have to be beaten? Everything else is a moot point

Quite a bizarre point to make when one of those counties (Donegal) are the only team to have beaten Dublin in Championship in the past 6 years.

Also bizarre when Tyrone and Donegal are 2 of just 5 teams who made All Ireland finals since 2011

Are you a little envious?

Not envious.

Curious as to why a championship draw could possibly be unfair on teams like Donegal and Tyrone, when on recent form they are also rans.

I don't care if the former beat Dublin once in the league, or the latter made a final a couple of years back. Neither has remotely looked like giving Dublin a game in the championship in the past 5 years. So whether they leave the championship in round 1 or the final makes no f**king odds.

(Donegal might have a  chance this year btw, and probably more so in a straight knockout format where killing Dublin once kills them for good. Tyrone have roughly the same chance of winning it as Leitrim).
Whether or not they have a chance to win the thing has nothing to do with the fairness and equity of the draw. In theory Donegal and Tyrone could have got each other in an open draw anyway. They could win an AI in 5 games - same as Dublin so that's okay too. My issue is that some counties that have to play 6 games to win an AI - cavan, monaghan and the lesinter teams that have to play an extra game while Munster and Connaught teams can win an AI in 4. That is dumb no matter how you look at it

Eire90

Every Round of the champiosnhip should just be as important as the final i dont get this thing about we need to have the two best teams in peoples opunions in the final its good to have cracking games in the early rounds

An Watcher

Yeah so let's have the dubs up against Monaghan on a cold blustery day in Clones. Everyones happy

seafoid

I think they gave too much time to the clubs and underestimated the state of pitches in Nov/Dec.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2020, 03:33:53 PM
I think they gave too much time to the clubs and underestimated the state of pitches in Nov/Dec.

Yes. Sure who gives a shite about the clubs. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2020, 03:33:53 PM

Can debate clubs didn't get enough time as there is no room for a provincial and All Ireland series at club level this year.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on June 27, 2020, 03:10:09 PM
is all championship games on a saturday

No they are looking to play them under lights at 6pm in Croke every Friday,  possibly midweek games in Killarney for the Ulster teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Hill is Blue

Word is that Jack Mac has stepped down from the Dublin panel ...  :(
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Boycey

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 27, 2020, 09:46:41 PM

Aye, read that headline on Indo App it's a premium story so ya have to pay to access it.

Angelo

The article says that McCaffrey stepping away was nothing to do with what has happened with Covid  and hinting at it being a retirement but he had just returned to the Dublin panel for the league and had played in the last game against Tyrone and would almost certainly had been available for Championship.

I'd say he's looking at the farce of this Championship and uncertainty over it and giving it a miss but will return for 2021.

He's not as big a loss for a muddy winter football football Championship as he would be on the solid turf in the summer months.

Does put a little more pressure on Farrell though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Boycey on June 27, 2020, 10:20:30 PM

Aye, read that headline on Indo App it's a premium story so ya have to pay to access it.

https://twitter.com/Hill16Army/status/1276969119116656643
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on June 27, 2020, 10:35:14 PM
The article says that McCaffrey stepping away was nothing to do with what has happened with Covid  and hinting at it being a retirement but he had just returned to the Dublin panel for the league and had played in the last game against Tyrone and would almost certainly had been available for Championship.

I'd say he's looking at the farce of this Championship and uncertainty over it and giving it a miss but will return for 2021.

He's not as big a loss for a muddy winter football football Championship as he would be on the solid turf in the summer months.

Retiring at 26? He opted out before and I doubt the current format had much to do about his decision.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

McCaffrey was on the second captains podcast a couple of weeks after the lockdown started and still seemed enthusiastic for inter county football then. Said he was training away individually to be ready for its return.

I'd say he'll be back next year.

macdanger2

Much as I'd like to see Dublin beaten, it'd be sad not to see Jack Mc playing, he's a super player and seems like a decent fella

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Angelo on June 27, 2020, 10:35:14 PM

Most if not all Dublin games will be played in croke park if it goes ahead. The weather might be an issue but there'll be no issue over the surface - it'll still be top class.