Ulster Under 21 Football Club Championship (at Creggan)

Started by drici, December 12, 2010, 12:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

TacadoirArdMhacha

FT St Patrick's Cullyhanna 1-4 Kickhams Creggan 0-6. Very very difficult conditions today, we just about deserved it I felt. Will put up a full report later.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Ulster Under 21 Club Championship Quarter-final: St Patrick's 1-4 Kickhams Creggan 0-6

St Patrick's made the long journey to County Antrim again on Sunday to face the host club in the quarter-final of the Ulster championship. As expected, the home side provided a much sterner examination than St Pat's had faced the previous week with the result of this match in doubt until the final shrill of the referee's whistle. Indeed it could be said that, rather than either side dominating the match, it was the elements which controlled affairs, as the strong breeze and constant driving rain made playing conditions very difficult and ensured that flowing football would be at a premium.

Despite facing the wind in the first half, St Pat's were to make the perfect start. Three minutes in, the Antrim side created a goalscoring opportunity as they launched a dangerous ball into the Cullyhanna penalty area. It took stout resistance to keep the away side's goal intact but as the lines were cleared, an enterprising hack downfield from Genie McCooey afforded Rory O'Neill to opportunity to counter attack. O'Neill showed the Creggan defence a clean pair of heels as he ghosted down the touchline before cutting inside and delivering a fine pass to Kyle McEvoy who showed great composure to find the back of the Creggan net. An early lead was ideal for Cullyhanna facing a battle against both the elements and a physically imposing opposition side but inevitably the Antrim champions responded to this set-back and two points in the fifth and eighth minutes, the latter from a free, brought them back within the minimum. With 11 minutes played, Cullyhanna edged further in the lead with Conor Nugent involved in the build-up before Gareth Mackin kicked a fine point. Understandably given the conditions, St Pat's spent most of the rest of the half fighting a rearguard action with scoring opportunities hard to come by and often in difficult positions when they did arrive. However Cullyhanna excelled defensively to restrict Creggan to only a further two points in the final 20 minutes of the first half leaving the sides level at the break on a scoreline of St Patrick's 1-1 Kickhams Creggan 0-4.

St Pat's will have been pleased to have maintained parity whilst opposing the elements however the advantage of the wind in the second period provided no guarantees of success. Cullyhanna did start the second half the more convincing of the sides however and despite missing a couple of early opportunities, regained the lead after six minutes when a Rory O'Neill displayed great vision to pick out Conor Nugent perfectly, allowing Nugent to kick an excellent point. Although St Pat's were perhaps the better side in the early stages of the second half, they could not extend their advantage further and as the home side grew in confidence, it was they who had the best of the exchanges in the middle part of the second period. Creggan were awarded a trio of scoreable frees in this period which could have given them a crucial lead however the stiff breeze came to Cullyhanna's rescue as only the latter was pointed, leaving the sides level facing into the final 10 minutes. Rory O'Neill was unfortunate to see a fine effort hit the crossbar 10 minutes from time however soon after, Kyle McEvoy showed great strength to win possession before collecting a pass and firing over a much needed St Patrick's point. With only 4 minutes remaining, McEvoy was on the scoresheet again with a vital point as he profited from a good move involving Pearce Casey and Gareth Mackin. The home side responded almost immediately however, to leave only a point between the sides in the closing stages. Try as Creggan might, they simply could not fashion an equalising score as their challenge floundered on the rock of Cullyhanna's strong and disciplined defending. In the dying seconds, a great counter attack from Micky Murray produced a free and although Kyle McEvoy could not point the long range effort, a wide was as good as a score at that stage as the referee ended the match immediately after amid scenes of great jubilation from the St Patrick's support and players.

This was not a match for the faint-hearted however it took huge amounts of courage and determination for St Pat's to hold on for victory against gallant opposition. This Cullyhanna side have developed a useful habit of winning tight matches, having prevailed by the minimum margin twice in the Armagh championship and won another game after extra time. Hopefully this is an attribute which will continue to serve them well as their Ulster odyssey continues. Huge credit is due to the management team of Stephen Reel, Mal Mackin and Liam O'Hare for the spirit they have instilled in their charges. This was perhaps not a day conducive to individual brilliance but Darren Mackin gave his customary assured display at full-back while Micky Murray was the launchpad for many the Cullyhanna attack. On a day when scores were hard to come by, the 1-2 from play landed by Kyle McEvoy was worth its weight in gold. The side now have a well deserved week's break before returning to Antrim for their semi-final, likely to be in a fortnight's time.

Starting XV: Deaglan McArdle; Kieran McCooey, Darren Mackin, Michael Murray; Sean Connell, Eoin McArdle, Neil Donnelly; Pearse Casey, Genie McCooey; COlm Hoey, Tony Donnelly, Rory O'Neill; Kyle McEvoy (1-2), Gareth Mackin (0-1), Conor Nugent (0-1). Sub Used: Kevin Hoey
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

intheknowhow

Scotstown v Omagh and Dungiven V Kilcar. Any analysis what these teams are like and predictions?

Magicsponge

Looks like Mark McHugh is out for Kilcar on Sunday, that'll be a big miss for them. Still think they'll win but it will be tight. Omagh to just get by Scotstown

intheknowhow

Mc Brearty still has a county match sat aswell as ronan o'neill for tyrone and hughes for scotstown! Whats Dungiven and Scotstown like?

Peter OToole

Quote from: intheknowhow on February 01, 2012, 08:02:36 PM
Mc Brearty still has a county match sat aswell as ronan o'neill for tyrone and hughes for scotstown! Whats Dungiven and Scotstown like?

Scotstown from what I can remember were beat in the 2008 St.Paul's Minor final by Ballinderry , who dungiven beat in the final of Derry if my memory serves me right! So both should be in with a right shout!

intheknowhow

Peter OToole

Any craic

See a superb team goal scored by Christopher Gallagher for Omagh St Enda's in their defeat of Scotstown in the Thomas Devlin Motors Ulster Under-21 Club Championship Quarter-finals at Creggan today - http://tinyurl.com/8ycfepy

Link

Any one think the score was 5-5 at half time in the dungiven game?

Thought sludden had a terrible game! Great response from dungiven after the kilcar goal!

drici

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Any craic

the semis will be on the 19th, double header. Yesterday's first game was a very high standard, great game between two good teams, Omagh and Scotstown. You can see the best bits from the first-half here - http://t.co/HC8GuhsT

intheknowhow

Great first game! Scotstown were unlucky. missed alot of chances and i thought they had more possession and were a better team!