All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/01/23/glen-have-three-days-to-lodge-objection-to-all-ireland-club-football-final/

"The GAA are awaiting the decision of Derry champions Glen on whether they will lodge a formal objection to the outcome of Sunday's All-Ireland club football final, won by Kilmacud Crokes.

Indications are that should an objection be lodged, a rematch will be ordered. It is accordingly up to Glen if they wish to pursue that. They have three days to do so.  Indications are that the authorities may consider fines too lenient and forfeiture excessive, making a rematch the likely resolution. Although Mullin had no material impact on the play that unfolded – he didn't touch the ball – there is a view that it's impossible to infer what would have happened had the correct number of players been on the field."

Mullin will become the biggest gobshite in Stillorgan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on January 23, 2023, 03:09:15 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2023, 02:47:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 02:35:09 PM
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/01/23/news/gaa_won_t_investigate_16th_man_without_a_glen_objection-3013728/

As expected the GAA put the onus onto Glen to lodge an appeal which would very likely be successful. The GAA will be now desperately hoping there is no appeal forthcoming, it will be a long wait before Wednesday.

This boils my piss with the GAA rule book. Why is the onus of the impacted club to appeal when the world and his dog knows there were 16 Crokes players on the field?

Glenn won't want to be in this position either.

I wonder will Croke Park offer the Glen players £300 of vouchers to be quiet like they did the Down hurlers when their CR final was blown up 5 minutes early?

The onus has to be on the objecting club or else the GAA opens itself to a "can of worms".......why should they be expected to go looking for every transgression , if the offended team don't even feel strongly enough about it , to object ?
I don't think anyone should think of Glen as being Unsporting , if they objected. In fact they'd be foolish not to. There's no guarantee they'll ever be back in an All-ireland, it's a tortuous journey. Therefore if there is evidence of clear transgression of the rules, with material influence on the game (this is a very very rare event), they owe it to their players and supporters to object. There's sledging, dangerous play , cynical play which too often is accepted in the GAA, yet a team makes a clear objection in an AI final lost by two points , and the GAA moral compass is all of a sudden pulled out of the hat .
I'm a neutral on this , but IMO , Glen should object, they should win and we'll enjoy a fair crack between two great teams, this Saturday

This is the blue ribband of club football, an obvious transgression in the rules of the game occurred with everyone watching, yet it's up to Glen to raise the objections doesn't sit well with me and no doubt the Glen club are weighing up their options and how that plays out with the wider community as no one wants to be a sore loser and all that but genuine mistake or not there has to repercussions.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2023, 05:00:30 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 23, 2023, 03:09:15 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2023, 02:47:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 02:35:09 PM
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/01/23/news/gaa_won_t_investigate_16th_man_without_a_glen_objection-3013728/

As expected the GAA put the onus onto Glen to lodge an appeal which would very likely be successful. The GAA will be now desperately hoping there is no appeal forthcoming, it will be a long wait before Wednesday.

This boils my piss with the GAA rule book. Why is the onus of the impacted club to appeal when the world and his dog knows there were 16 Crokes players on the field?

Glenn won't want to be in this position either.

I wonder will Croke Park offer the Glen players £300 of vouchers to be quiet like they did the Down hurlers when their CR final was blown up 5 minutes early?

The onus has to be on the objecting club or else the GAA opens itself to a "can of worms".......why should they be expected to go looking for every transgression , if the offended team don't even feel strongly enough about it , to object ?
I don't think anyone should think of Glen as being Unsporting , if they objected. In fact they'd be foolish not to. There's no guarantee they'll ever be back in an All-ireland, it's a tortuous journey. Therefore if there is evidence of clear transgression of the rules, with material influence on the game (this is a very very rare event), they owe it to their players and supporters to object. There's sledging, dangerous play , cynical play which too often is accepted in the GAA, yet a team makes a clear objection in an AI final lost by two points , and the GAA moral compass is all of a sudden pulled out of the hat .
I'm a neutral on this , but IMO , Glen should object, they should win and we'll enjoy a fair crack between two great teams, this Saturday

This is the blue ribband of club football, an obvious transgression in the rules of the game occurred with everyone watching, yet it's up to Glen to raise the objections doesn't sit well with me and no doubt the Glen club are weighing up their options and how that plays out with the wider community as no one wants to be a sore loser and all that but genuine mistake or not there has to repercussions.
Wattys are entitled to object. The game was still in play. It's not about being a sore loser.

Armagh18

No one else has mentioned it but we got a qualifier match replayed vs Laois a few years ago because they made an extra sub. Feckers beat us anyway. Dark days!

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 04:45:15 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 04:32:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2023, 04:08:35 PM
Well given the Charlie Redmond incident many years ago, something needs to be done

It's crazy 20 years later that we're dealing with this again

Tyrone should've got a replay. Totally f**king robbed that day.

Then Armagh should get a replay for 2003 when Marsden was incorrectly sent off only to be later exonerated. That incident was actually 20 years ago.

Go on, why did Marsden get his ban overturned..... go on.. this will be good...

I don't really want this thread to get derailed about another incident about 20 years ago but I'm fairly sure you know the answer. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of you crying foul over a Charlie Redmond incident.

imtommygunn

I see Parkinson has pulled a report of a match the Kilmacaud manager played in around 05 I think (for Duboyne I think?) where they were kicked out for using an extra sub in extra time or something lol.

OrchardOrange

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 03:50:06 PM
Can't see a replay happening now. What if Crokes are beat, they've the very reasonable argument that their lads have been on the piss for days

Not to mention their asses will be rid clean off then too!  ;D

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 05:06:24 PM
No one else has mentioned it but we got a qualifier match replayed vs Laois a few years ago because they made an extra sub. Feckers beat us anyway. Dark days!

Fortunately, Armagh's fortunes and those of Laois have gone in opposite directions since then.
Kilmacud would likely beat Watty's this time too, especially if they did not allow the Derry men get off to such a good start.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 05:07:08 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 04:45:15 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 04:32:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2023, 04:08:35 PM
Well given the Charlie Redmond incident many years ago, something needs to be done

It's crazy 20 years later that we're dealing with this again

Tyrone should've got a replay. Totally f**king robbed that day.

Then Armagh should get a replay for 2003 when Marsden was incorrectly sent off only to be later exonerated. That incident was actually 20 years ago.

Go on, why did Marsden get his ban overturned..... go on.. this will be good...

I don't really want this thread to get derailed about another incident about 20 years ago but I'm fairly sure you know the answer. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of you crying foul over a Charlie Redmond incident.

I am absolutely not serious about looking for a replay in '95. Weird that I have to make that explicit.
Nor should there be one for the KC and Glen game.

CK_Redhand

Replay in Owenbeg. Dublin 95 v Tyrone 95 as curtain raiser. Marsden v Jordan half time entertainment.

LC

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2023, 05:07:54 PM
I see Parkinson has pulled a report of a match the Kilmacaud manager played in around 05 I think (for Duboyne I think?) where they were kicked out for using an extra sub in extra time or something lol.

https://twitter.com/smallerfishgaa/status/1617526003991212034?s=48&t=8F1t4D9hEHuvppJwddHMmg

JoG2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2023, 05:11:15 PM

Fortunately, Armagh's fortunes and those of Laois have gone in opposite directions since then.
Kilmacud would likely beat Watty's this time too, especially if they did not allow the Derry men get off to such a good start.

Glen did not play to near their potential for fair chunks of the game too. A replay would be a very interesting spectacle

rodney trotter

Conor Glass was ill in the build up to yesterdays game. Would he be in better shape for a replay?

RandyDupree

Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2023, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: weareros on January 23, 2023, 02:00:20 PM
Yeah has to be a replay. If slowly strolling off like the 17th man, Mannion, then that's fine, not interfering with play. But the 16th man was in there defending the goal. HQ has to make a firm decision here.

Was it a genuine mistake by the 16th player or did they try and pull a fast one?

In the semi final Kilmacud hung on for a narrow win as the opposition chased a late goal (and almost got it). In the interview afterwards the manager was asked about the frail mindset of conceding late goals. He acknowledged that it does exist and that is definitely something they will have to address before the AIF. I'm surprised no one has dug this interview up, it was only a few weeks ago.

seafoid

Quote from: JoG2 on January 23, 2023, 05:48:13 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2023, 05:11:15 PM

Glen did not play to near their potential for fair chunks of the game too. A replay would be a very interesting spectacle
The teams are  evenly matched.  Wattys probably have a better manager