Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: naka on August 11, 2019, 07:43:55 PM
Definitely was a poor crowd today but reality every family chatted to acknowledging Dublin are too far ahead
Today was realistically the last chance either set of supporters had of seeing their Team win this year. I ha snore enthusiasm for going to today's game than I would have going to watch Tyrone get steamrollered in the final.

LeoMc

Quote from: befair on August 11, 2019, 08:48:59 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 11, 2019, 08:29:21 PM
Poor attendances isn't just down to Dublin dominating. It's also about HQ taking the piss with ticket prices and this Super 8 bollocks.

Yellowcard is correct. The county and club games do feel like different sports.
The poor attendance was multifactorial. Dublin's overt superiority is a factor, both teams + supporters + neutrals aware that the final will be a procession. Kerry are also poorly supported at the best of times. When a low attendance is suspected, these games should be aggressively marketed to tourists, who could learn more about the real Ireland i.e. always blame the ref
I think Kerry had better support there than Tyrone. That puts Tyrone support at <15k for an All Ireland semi final! It would once have been 40k+.

Rossfan

Tyrones support was noticeably lower this year right through the Championship than other years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

t_mac

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 10:24:00 PM
Great news. The new Casement could host an All Ireland semi final.

What year 2039, Dublin be going for 25 in a row.

didlyi

So the attendance was not great but neither was the game. Are Dubs to blame for that too? All this talk that the c'ship would be great if only dublin weren't so strong is rubbish. IMO Dublin have raised the profile of gaelic football for years to a place it scarcely deserves to be. Shoot them and you shot the golden goose!

t_mac

The golden goose is only feeding the Dubs.

t_mac

What's all the professions of the Dublin players? Bet those lads aren't up at 7 tomorrow for a days graft.

marty34

People starting to catch 9n to this borefest of football I reckon - like rugby league nowadays.

Attendences reflecting this.

omaghjoe

Crikey that attendance was bad.... is it people getting rode with the super 8s or the feeling that the bandwagon will hit the juggernaut...

irish345

Quote from: t_mac on August 11, 2019, 11:03:25 PM
What's all the professions of the Dublin players? Bet those lads aren't up at 7 tomorrow for a days graft.

lets not pretend here that tyrone and kerry players dont get favour in the community aswell

FermGael

Lower attendances are the only thing that the top brass in the Gaa will take any notice off. The people are voting with their feet.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

irish345

semi finals should be played in neutral province and no semis in croke park  if two teams from same province then neutral ground within that province

thewobbler

Quote from: irish345 on August 12, 2019, 09:27:24 AM
semi finals should be played in neutral province and no semis in croke park  if two teams from same province then neutral ground within that province

Sure we might as well bulldoze Croke while we are at it.

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 12, 2019, 05:04:24 AM
Crikey that attendance was bad.... is it people getting rode with the super 8s or the feeling that the bandwagon will hit the juggernaut...

Malachy Clerkin, Irish times

"On the streets outside the ground, you couldn't walk 10 yards without being offered spare tickets. All the talk during the week had been of an attendance between 50,000 and 60,000. In the end, it was 33,848. It's obvious that somewhere along the way, a chunk of people who had intended going to the game thought better of it".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clarshack

There were 53,044 at the Tyrone/Kerry semi-final 4 years ago (on a day with heavy rain too). That's some drop in attendance from then to now.
Dublin will do the 5 and I think attendances will plummet even more next year.