NFL Division 2 final Down V Roscommon 26th April 2015

Started by Dubh driocht, April 06, 2015, 12:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

This should be a good game to open proceedings on League Final day. Although Down finished top of the table, Roscommon were comfortable winners in Newry earlier in the season. The Shines and Senan Kilbride were too strong for the Down defence and they charged up the middle like buffalo on the prairie. Evans is a fanatical manager who will love taking the Rossies in their bus to Croke and will reckon Down have a bit of a soft belly. However, his fanaticism is nothing compared to what the smallest man in the pitch will bring. Based in Trinity, Conor Laverty will have thought every possibility through, just as he does in a micro-second on the pitch. He mightn't have many degrees or doctorates but he is a professor of the game and will be well aware that the last man in dearg agus dubh to lift a trophy in Dublin was DJ Kane. So I tip Down to take it in a high scoring game; when did Down last play Roscommon (if ever) at Croke ?

Syferus

To be fair we have a bit of a soft belly too. I think both teams have trouble defending so it could be an open game. That said you could see both teams trying out more defensive tactics to try and improve their fortunes at the back.

Interesting that it was the two best attacking teams in the league that ended up on top when all was said and done.

OgraAnDun

Roscommon to win because Down can't seem to cope with bigger, more physical teams at the minute.

Syferus

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 06, 2015, 01:11:08 PM
Roscommon to win because Down can't seem to cope with bigger, more physical teams at the minute.

Apart from our FB line our team resembles a Schools team such is their youth! Never been a terribly physical team. The team is based much more around pace than power.

The Black Mamba

With McDermott likely to miss the game through suspension who will likely get the nod at corner back. David Murray seems the most likely I think. Pity Seanie will probably miss out on the game, he's been a fantastic servant to Roscommon football when we were going through some pretty bad years.

Syferus

Quote from: The Black Mamba on April 06, 2015, 01:51:31 PM
With McDermott likely to miss the game through suspension who will likely get the nod at corner back. David Murray seems the most likely I think. Pity Seanie will probably miss out on the game, he's been a fantastic servant to Roscommon football when we were going through some pretty bad years.

Hopefully we do what D1 teams do and find a technicality to get him out of it. Even if they could delay until after the final somehow and let him miss the London match everyone would be happy, we're likely to use that game to get starts in some other players anyways. Davy Murray will surely start for Seanie if he is out.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Syferus on April 06, 2015, 01:25:36 PM

Apart from our FB line our team resembles a Schools team such is their youth! Never been a terribly physical team. The team is based much more around pace than power.

Seemed big enough to me when you played us in Newry!

Syferus

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 06, 2015, 01:58:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 06, 2015, 01:25:36 PM

Seemed big enough to me when you played us in Newry!

Some tall ladeens around the middle and Senan at FF obviously but we're no Cork 2010 or anything. Donie Shine is injured at the moment. Might be fit to feature in three weeks' time though.

Mourne Rover

As Dubh Driocht might recall, Down last played Roscommon at Croke Park 25 years ago this month. It was the semi final of the 1990 NFL, and Down won comfortably before losing to Meath in the final.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 06, 2015, 02:07:37 PM
As Dubh Driocht might recall, Down last played Roscommon at Croke Park 25 years ago this month. It was the semi final of the 1990 NFL, and Down won comfortably before losing to Meath in the final.

Sweet Mother I feel real oul havin read that!

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Dubh driocht on April 06, 2015, 12:46:52 PM
This should be a good game to open proceedings on League Final day. Although Down finished top of the table, Roscommon were comfortable winners in Newry earlier in the season. The Shines and Senan Kilbride were too strong for the Down defence and they charged up the middle like buffalo on the prairie. Evans is a fanatical manager who will love taking the Rossies in their bus to Croke and will reckon Down have a bit of a soft belly. However, his fanaticism is nothing compared to what the smallest man in the pitch will bring. Based in Trinity, Conor Laverty will have thought every possibility through, just as he does in a micro-second on the pitch. He mightn't have many degrees or doctorates but he is a professor of the game and will be well aware that the last man in dearg agus dubh to lift a trophy in Dublin was DJ Kane. So I tip Down to take it in a high scoring game; when did Down last play Roscommon (if ever) at Croke ?

Jesus wept. Shocking touch of hero worship there brinking on a man-crush. Would you catch yourself on man.
Did someone dare you to write that.

gibbs32

I fancy a hatrick of titles in nxt 3 weeks. I have a doubt over cbs as they are playing the home of football.im going for 2 from 3

gibbs32

My rossie32 fans and please keep following rossie u21 cbs and div2 title. If any punting man likes a bet,spend the winnings on the ladies. Or just give them the winnings

gibbs32

My rossie32 fans and please keep following rossie u21 cbs and div2 title. If any punting man likes a bet,spend the winnings on the ladies. Or just give them the winnings

Rossfan

This is a nice semi competitive game to have and an Oul run out in Croker as well.
Be nice to win the little cupeen too but sure it's a biteen meaningless.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM