Surely, a Darwin award contender

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 23, 2009, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

From rte.ie

Limerick shooting filmed on mobile phone
Monday, 23 March 2009 13:08

Gardaí investigating the death of a man who shot himself in the head in Limerick are now satisfied that the shooting was accidental.

29-year-old Philip Collopy accidentally shot himself with a handgun in a house in St Mary's Park, Limerick, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The shooting was captured on video by a person at the scene with a mobile phone. The phone has since been seized by gardaí.

Gardaí believe Mr Collopy was showing a friend how to kill someone when he put the gun to his own head without realising there was a round in the breach.

There were about seven people in the house at the time.

Members of the armed garda regional support unit were on patrol when a man came running out the house and alerted them to the shooting.

Mr Collopy died in at the Mid Western Regional Hospital at 8.30pm last night.

A post mortem, due to be carried out by the Deputy State Pathologist this afternoon, will confirm the cause of death and establish if he had any drink or drugs taken at the time.

That must have been horrific  :-\

full back

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2009, 01:33:40 PM

Mr Collopy was showing a friend how to kill someone when he put the gun to his own head without realising there was a round in the breach.

:-\

fitzroyalty

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

screenmachine

at least his friend now knows how to kill someone... ???

i would imagine that anyone with half a brain would know that if you shoot someone in the head, odds are they won't be alive for much longer.  I'm sort of hoping that this fella was highly intoxicated at the time or is society away to the dogs all together?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Doogie Browser

f**k sake, he was 'showing a friend how to kill someone else'!!

If as it seems this man was a 'gangster' its better he is brown bread than someone else I suppose.

armaghniac

How do you nominate for the Darwin awards? This is a good runner.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

i would imagine that anyone with half a brain

Tell me you meant that??? :D

screenmachine

i was goin to put in no pun intended but didn't like to stick the boot in the lad... :D
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Hardy

Maybe we have the germ of the solution to the "gangland" problem here. Organise "show and tell" sessions in Moyross, Southill, Blanchardstown, Finglas ...

Over the Bar

Does the fact that he was demonstrating how to shoot someone else by putting the gun to his own head not make him a double nominee?

I'm sure the others in the room were thankful he didn't decide to demonstrate on them!

Orior

Emmmm.... cant believe i'm posting this but...

Why does this guy not get the same respect as Ms Goody? A mother has lost her son. A wife may have lost het husband. Child may have lost their father.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 23, 2009, 02:03:12 PM
f**k sake, he was 'showing a friend how to kill someone else'!!

If as it seems this man was a 'gangster' its better he is brown bread than someone else I suppose.

Philip Collopy was well known to gardaí as one of the Keane/Collopy Criminal gangs which has been involved in the ongoing feud with the McCarthy/Dundon gang.

He was a target not just of Limerick gardaí but also of the Criminal Assets Bureau, which seized a house, two cars and a substantial amount of cash from the gang.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0323/collopyp.html
Testing Accessibility

screenmachine

Quote from: Orior on March 23, 2009, 03:00:31 PM

Why does this guy not get the same respect as Ms Goody? A mother has lost her son. A wife may have lost het husband. Child may have lost their father.

Fair enough when you look at it that way Orior but you can't compare the situations.  Of course its going to be tough on his family/friends but I find it hard to feel anything for anyone who was showing someone how to kill someone else, all be it he showed him a bit too well in the end.

maddog

Quote from: Orior on March 23, 2009, 03:00:31 PM

Because the news of the world didnt tell you to. Get with it Orior.