The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Doogie Browser

O'Neill is always notoriously slow in transfer windows, a lot of his big buys at Celtic were last minute ones too.  Have a sneaking feeling he will got for Sol Campbell, not sure just think he will  :-\

lurganblue

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 02, 2009, 08:44:55 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on July 02, 2009, 08:35:37 AM
He certainly doesn't splash twenty million on one player but he did spend ten on milner. I think the main priority is to replace laursen and Barry. Personally I think a top quality centre half should be first.

Use are linked with Titus Bramble this morning.

::) that sums it up for me

Archie Mitchell

Luckily for youse, there is no truth in that rumour

1203 BST: Aston Villa have dismissed speculation linking them with a move for Wigan defender Titus Bramble, reportedly worth £3.5m plus midfielder Barry Bannan. (Press Association)

Doogie Browser

Looks like Stewart Downing is our first signing of the summer, good news.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 15, 2009, 02:08:51 PM
Looks like Stewart Downing is our first signing of the summer, good news.

depends what way you look at it?does this mean young is off?no laursen, barry or young i think you would finish 7th at best. 

Archie Mitchell

Stilian Petrov dislocated his shoulder playing in a friendly tonight. Will be out for a few months i'd say.

Big miss for Villa for start of season, especially with Barry leaving and don't really have anyone to replace them yet in midfield.

lurganblue

Big miss for the start of the season.

I can't believe this summer to be honest. One signing, who can't play till December. It's clear our squad is weak, there is money available, WTF?

Family guy

Maybe steve sidwell can step up and fill some of these spots open,Who would yous like to see villa go for????What about that young guy from leeds there were linked with has that fallen through??

Doogie Browser

Villa need experience through the spine of the team and losing Laursen and Barry means these are priority areas.
I would like us to go for Hangeland to show our ambition, failing that Distin from Pompey would suffice but we need two centre halfs as all we have now is Cuellar & Davies.  We now obv need a central midfielder and I do like the look of Jenas but feel he is a bit light-weight.
MON is notoriously late in transfer windows so I am expecting a flurry of activity in the next 7/10 days.

Would like to see NRC leave as I just can't take to him at all, despite his alleged versatility, I think Gardener does a better job to be honest and is a wee bit more nasty.

Family guy

But how many years are we gona hafta listen 2 MON and every manager before him tell us to be patient that he has players in  mind and it bes a real let down again with a small squad sayn if we hada invested in a few signings and then say ah theres always next year.Yeah hate reo coker myself,wud like scott parker 2 be signed even though i dont like him as a person hes a good player

Doogie Browser

Last summer he brought in 5/6 players IIRC, I trust him and am sure he has targets in mind.  Scott Parker is a good shout but can't see West Ham letting him go.

bigfrank

any workin links for the juve game,in extra time now i do believe

lurganblue

Pleasantly surprised that villa won this tournament with injuries and missing the under 21s. Well done...

Now that they are heading back to England maybe martin can get the ball rolling with a few transfers this week?

Doogie Browser

Ok so the season kicks off tomorrow, we have lost Laursen (irreplacable) and Barry (mercenary after all). Downing is a good acquisition but will not kick a ball to Christmas, Delph I hold out great hope for, he is elegant and comfortable on the ball. 
Would like us to start with 3 points and Wigan seem to have lost a few decent players.
Big John Carew looked great against the Scots on Weds night too, think he can get 20 goals this season if he stays fit, our main man now providing MON doesn't go for Heskey!!

Doogie Browser

Ok, that was some game.  No one myself included gave us a hope, but again MON proves why he is so coveted.  He brilliantly nullified Torres and Gerrard, you don't need a degree in physics to work out that Liverpool have nothing if these boys don't play.  I would go as far to say that that was one of the most ineffective Stevie G performances I have ever witnessed.  I can't believe I am about to say this but...Nigel Reo-Coker was excellent he and Petrov hassled and harried all night and gave Liverpool no time on the ball.  James Milner was great too, full of effort and running all night.
This is a crazy game, we get tanked at home to Wigan and then win our next league game away at a ground where the hosts have not lost in 20 months in the league  :o
Well done Villa, our season is up and running, lets take some momentum into the Vienna game on Thurs night now.
Oh and I had Davies backed 1st and last goal at 40/1 and the o.g didn't count - happy days, £102.50 back for a £5 stake.