New applegreen filling station Belfast M1

Started by orangeman, May 09, 2015, 09:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Is this the slowest most costliest building project ongoing in Ireland currently ?.

Are the archaeology people involved ?.

Tony Baloney

Building project?!  ;D I thought they were making a lay-by.

T Fearon

Must be alright.Also is it not too close to Belfast anyway?

Jeepers Creepers

It's to give people in Lisburn a day out.

general_lee

I look forward to yet another 10 mins added to the rush hour commute.

Franko

Quote from: hardstation on May 09, 2015, 01:37:27 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 09, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
Must be alright.Also is it not too close to Belfast anyway?
Exactly my thoughts. Why would a service station be needed there?

Erm... Belfast isn't the beginning and/or end of every journey that uses the M1.

T Fearon

Yeah,but after leaving Belfast do you really need a roadside cafe,service station 4 miles down the road?

Franko

There's no fuel stops/food outlets/truck stops etc etc with easy access from motorways in Belfast.  You may be passing through the city but for most traffic they're never really 'in' it.

Maguire01

Not that handy getting petrol near the city centre. This place should do well. The one on the M2 has had to take on extra staff since it opened - very busy apparently.

Tony Baloney

Up past it again today. A bit of excavation and a few retaining gabions is the sum total of a good few months work. I also had my reservations as it so close to Belfast. However a few good points here that plenty of journeys don't require a stop in the city and it isn't handy to fill the car let alone anything heavier. That garage at the end of Stockman's Lane is a bloody nightmare when the road is busy.

If this is southbound I assume the M2 equivalent is northbound?

cornerback

There will be 4 service stations by the end of next year afaik. One on each side of the M1 & M2.
The one opened on the M2 is country-bound.

T Fearon

I never buy petrol in Belfast,far too dear.Still think majority of traffic using the Motorway is coming from or going to Belfast and stopping or coming from stopping in the City for a specific reason.

I always use the Applegreen outside Dundalk on my way to Dublin,for a coffee, but still have doubts about the location of this one.In fact with four major turn off centres on the relatively short 40 odd mile MI journey from Belfast to Dungannon, I would doubt if there's a viable need for an Applegreen on the M1 at all.

Hardy

I dunno. Maybe we are becoming different peoples. I just can't imagine the opening of a petrol station in Finglas or Ballincollig generating a gaaboard thread.

T Fearon

That's because petrol stations in Finglas and Ballincollig are opened daily,usually with crowbars!

orangeman

The lack of progress is baffling. Maybe there is some good reason for it. But you'd hate to be the developer. It will be a very expensive filling station before it opens.