Nicest Towns in Ireland

Started by AZOffaly, April 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Aye, forgot about Leenane, nice spot.

And Mullaghmore, nice place to spend a relaxing day.

Enniskerry in Wicklow nice spot too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 18, 2018, 06:29:04 PM
Would agree with who said earlier about Plumbridge. I'd actually extend that to the Glenelly Valley as a whole.

Portstewart IMO tends to be underrated, nice tidy town, it benefits from being somewhat a student town even when the students aren't there, the Strand is a great beach and has little of the sectarian blight that is otherwise afflicted in nearby Coleraine & Portrush.

A little surprised that some parts of North Antrim haven't been mentioned, Cushendall and Waterfoot/Glenariff have looked like great spots any time I've gone through them.

Enniskillen has it's location going for it and again it's a tidy enough town, though for whatever reason I've always found the natives there a bit cold and unwelcoming, while the traffic in the town centre gets easily chocked at peak times.

Truthfully and honestly I've never been further south of Birr, nor have I ever been in Galway or Mayo with the exception of Charlestown, so I'll defer to those in the know about the southern half a lot better than I do.

Yes Cushendall Cushendun and Waterfoot have a lot going for them.. plenty of great scenery and walks.. Cushendall having some nice places to eat have a pint and a bet!! The natives are grand though a good crowd of Belfast ones have moved in part time  ;)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

It wouldn't be an incredibly pretty/picturesque town and so probably wouldn't qualify for the 'nicest towns in Ireland' list, but Lahinch in Clare is a great place to spend the weekend or even a week.

Minder

Would agree with who said earlier about Plumbridge. I'd actually extend that to the Glenelly Valley as a whole.

Portstewart IMO tends to be underrated, nice tidy town, it benefits from being somewhat a student town even when the students aren't there, the Strand is a great beach and has little of the sectarian blight that is otherwise afflicted in nearby Coleraine & Portrush.

A little surprised that some parts of North Antrim haven't been mentioned, Cushendall and Waterfoot/Glenariff have looked like great spots any time I've gone through them.

Enniskillen has it's location going for it and again it's a tidy enough town, though for whatever reason I've always found the natives there a bit cold and unwelcoming, while the traffic in the town centre gets easily chocked at peak times.

Truthfully and honestly I've never been further south of Birr, nor have I ever been in Galway or Mayo with the exception of Charlestown, so I'll defer to those in the know about the southern half a lot better than I do.

You are correct  ;)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

From the Bunker

If one could include villages, Straide - Co. Mayo deserves a notable mention.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Minder on April 18, 2018, 06:45:40 PM

You are correct  ;)

I was once told waterfoot was the ghetto of Glenariff ;D

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 18, 2018, 07:51:02 PM

You are correct  ;)

Christ !

imtommygunn

The person who said it was from Glenariff lol.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 18, 2018, 09:43:27 PM
The person who said it was from Glenariff lol.

You can PM me the guilty party  ;D

ned

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 18, 2018, 07:51:02 PM

You are correct  ;)

Spent many a day "bunking off" in Waterfoot. Not exactly the best place to hide out! Cushendall was always better for a night out and a fight between the hurling factions.

stephenite

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 18, 2018, 07:08:07 PM
If one could include villages, Straide - Co. Mayo deserves a notable mention.

Why? Not trying to be smart, but there's nothing there? The parents now live nearby, all I've ever done is driven through it, takes about 15 seconds

The museum isn't great

gallsman

Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Hillsborough, Co. Down, black as it may be is a lovely, well kept town with some great spots for food and drink.

seafoid

Shannonbridge in Offaly has a fantastic pub beside a canal and is close to Clonmacnoise. It is like an antidote to Dublin. Clifden is like that as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Is it a town to spend a day or two, or to live in??

Dromod, Leitrim is a lovely little village, beside the Shannon

johnnycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 19, 2018, 07:56:23 AM
Is it a town to spend a day or two, or to live in??

Dromod, Leitrim is a lovely little village, beside the Shannon

Anyone ever hire a cruiser to do the Lough Erne, Shannon run?

I'd love to do it some time, but the kids are too young ATM.