O'Byrne Cup Final 2008

Started by Hound, February 06, 2008, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

I must admit that on leaving Parnell Park on Saturday (and having won 200 bills on Wales beating England) I had the intention of putting 50 yoyos on Longford, who would in all likelihood be big outsiders with the bookies, to win the O'Byrne Cup. Had heard Longford had been playing well, and they did get some good results in the O'Byrne Cup, but now not so sure after their defeat to Wexford.

Dublin's forward line should also be improved with the return of the two Brogans - albeit this is largely cancelled out by the loss of Sherlock, Keaney and the free taking of Vaughan.

The following team has been picked:

J Leonard
D Henry, R McConnell, S O'Shaughnessy
P McMahon, P Casey, D Murray
E Fennell, S Ryan
B Cullen, A Brogan, B McManamon
J O'Brien, B Brogan, K Bonner

Subs: S Cluxton, N O'Shea, C Moran, D Lally, P Brogan, B Kennedy, G Cullen, J Sherlock, E O'Gara, P Flynn.

tayto

Could be close, a lot depends on how fired upt he two teams are.

Shamrock Shore

Well.....I won't be wasting my money on a Longford win.

Saving it for the Leinster first round  ;)

Seriously Dublin, on paper, have to win. Again it depends on who is fired up the most. If Dublin are any way interested their forwards could run riot on us.

However, like always, I'll travel with hope in the heart.

Hardy

Dublin - final - pressure - choke.  No?

An Laoch

Don't recall seeing Casey play centre back for the Dubs before....another experiment? Ray Silke wont be happy.

With Cluxton on the bench who'll miss the 45s for Dublin? ;)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: An Laoch on February 06, 2008, 12:09:43 PM
Don't recall seeing Casey play centre back for the Dubs before....another experiment? Ray Silke wont be happy.

He played there last Sat night, with Moran at half back  :o Both were rubbish.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

An Laoch

Thanks Croi.

I don't think Casey has the distribution skills for that role, and I think Collie Moran would probably benefit from a period of being brought in as an attacking substitute rather than a starting role.

Is Cosgrove gone altogether from the set up now?

his holiness nb

Based on Dublins form so far, I predict a Longford win.
Ask me holy bollix

tayto

Quote from: An Laoch on February 06, 2008, 12:27:57 PM
I don't think Casey has the distribution skills for that role, and I think Collie Moran would probably benefit from a period of being brought in as an attacking substitute rather than a starting role.

Would have to agree with that. Not suited to CHB at all in my opinion, seems to be a favorite of Pillar's though. Thought Collie was playing well there till he picked up a knock in the earlier rounds.

Cosgrove seems to be gone alright, no sign of him anyway. 

tayto

No Vaughan for the frees could be crucial.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: tayto on February 06, 2008, 01:16:26 PM
No Vaughan for the frees could be crucial.

That's all he's good for though. If yous could wheel him on a la American Football youw would be sorted  :P

Cosgroves inter-county days are well over, no confidence or nothing left. McMenamin was a handy impact sub the last day.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

LaurelEye

Longford team named:

Damian Sheridan; Dermot Brady, Diarmuid Masterson, Declan Reilly; Shane Mulligan, Arthur O'Connor, Noel Farrell; Liam Keenan, Enda Farrell; David Barden, Paul Barden, Pádraig Berry; Brian Kavanagh, Declan Farrell, Francis McGee.

Subs: Stephen Watters, Gary Murphy, Enda Williams, Kevin Mulligan, Stephen Phillips, Aidan Rowan, Jamesie Martin, Paddy McDonnell, Paddy Dowd, Conor Casey, Cathal Conefrey.

A number of those are named subject to fitness tests though - Shane Mulligan, Paul Barden, Keenan.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteDavid Barden

Where did they find him?

A pretty strong side - looks like Luke wants a trophy!

Hound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 06, 2008, 12:16:42 PM
Quote from: An Laoch on February 06, 2008, 12:09:43 PM

He played there last Sat night, with Moran at half back  :o Both were rubbish.
While I thought Dublin were rubbish in general, I had no complaints with Casey and Moran. It would be easy to mention half a dozen who were worse. Moran did particularly well in setting up the goal.

Personally I hope Collie gets an extended run at 7. I'd imagine number 6 in the summer will be between Cahill and Brennan.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 06, 2008, 02:02:40 PM
QuoteDavid Barden

Where did they find him?

He came on last Sunday late-ish in the match for Declan Farrell. He was away on holidays for the previous O'Byrne matches and I'm not sure if he'd been training before Sunday last.

There are injury worries over Berry and Paddy Dowd as well.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.