Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on March 18, 2024, 08:15:48 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2024, 07:49:24 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on March 18, 2024, 04:26:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2024, 12:02:29 PMWe mightn't necessarily have the best starting 15 but I'd say we have the best squad depth in the country at the minute.

I will never understand where this Armagh delusion comes from. You have accomplished nothing with these players and yet you actually believe this.

It's not delusion, it's just one persons opinion and squad depth does not equal the best team so I wouldn't be getting too upset over it. I'm not sure Dublin have the same depth they had about 5 or 6 years ago.

McGeeney operates with a squad of about 40 players which means that there are 10 lads who don't even get game time at training matches. But you can see that they are ready to make an impact if called up as they are conditioned and train like an inter county footballer. It takes a serious level of buy in from players to be able to committ to that without even getting into the training matches never mind the match day squad.

BUT, surely Armagh have to win Ulster this year or McGeeney will have failed? Is he a decade in charge, no silverware and lots of hard luck stories. They've the best draw they could've got in Ulster, they appear to have the players. Surely it's shit or get off the pot time now?

I suppose it depends how you define success. If it's measured purely in terms of trophies well then, yes he will have failed. But if it is making the best use of the players he has at his disposal there is another train of thought that says he has been successful at that.

I think he probably does need to win Ulster this year or failing that, get to an AI final in order to leave with something tangible. We've had the luck of the draw 2 years running and it feels like this year is make or break. 

Ethan Tremblay

I think anyone following armagh know that the depth of players commiting to the team at present hasn't been seen for the past 20odd years. There are quality players currently sitting on the bench we would have been building teams around 10 years ago, certainly a conundrum mcgeeney never had when he started.

In terms of success, ulster would certainly be a realistic possibility with the draw, and failing to win that would been seen as a failure to capitalise on all the elements aligning (a good team, good draw, and previous final experience).

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2024, 08:33:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2024, 12:02:29 PMWe mightn't necessarily have the best starting 15 but I'd say we have the best squad depth in the country at the minute.

I will never understand where this Armagh delusion comes from. You have accomplished nothing with these players and yet you actually believe this.

It's not delusion, it's just one persons opinion and squad depth does not equal the best team so I wouldn't be getting too upset over it. I'm not sure Dublin have the same depth they had about 5 or 6 years ago.

McGeeney operates with a squad of about 40 players which means that there are 10 lads who don't even get game time at training matches. But you can see that they are ready to make an impact if called up as they are conditioned and train like an inter county footballer. It takes a serious level of buy in from players to be able to committ to that without even getting into the training matches never mind the match day squad.

BUT, surely Armagh have to win Ulster this year or McGeeney will have failed? Is he a decade in charge, no silverware and lots of hard luck stories. They've the best draw they could've got in Ulster, they appear to have the players. Surely it's shit or get off the pot time now?

I suppose it depends how you define success. If it's measured purely in terms of trophies well then, yes he will have failed. But if it is making the best use of the players he has at his disposal there is another train of thought that says he has been successful at that.

I think he probably does need to win Ulster this year or failing that, get to an AI final in order to leave with something tangible. We've had the luck of the draw 2 years running and it feels like this year is make or break. 
It would be par for the course if they failed to win Ulster again but if they managed it it would be a great boost

Armagh18

In terms of drop off then yeah we probably do. We could field 2 15's of a similar level, but obviously the first 15 isn't at the level of Dublin or Kerry.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on March 18, 2024, 09:35:12 PM

It would be par for the course if they failed to win Ulster again but if they managed it it would be a great boost
Should be in an Ulster final given the draw. On current form it'll be against Derry, who we could definitely have beat last year but who seem to have improved again going on the league.

Be no more of a kick of a ball in it either way imo, if that's the two teams who make the final.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 18, 2024, 09:42:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 18, 2024, 09:35:12 PM

Should be in an Ulster final given the draw. On current form it'll be against Derry, who we could definitely have beat last year but who seem to have improved again going on the league.

Be no more of a kick of a ball in it either way imo, if that's the two teams who make the final.

At this point I'd expect that to be the final as well. You could have the unusual situation of a Derry man (Gilligan) plotting his own counties downfall against 2 Tyrone men (Harte and Devlin) trying to win silverware for their arch rivals.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Awful beating for Tipp at the weekend. They're in a sorry state having been on the crest of a wave up to 2020. They lost a few key players to emigration and injury. Football is a second class citizen for most of Tipperary of course also and only the few hardcore men like David Power were keeping them going at a high level. Liam Kearns RIP was amazing for them also. Conor Sweeney will be back for championship I think which will help, but I don't see them beating Clare in 3 weeks.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

DuffleKing

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on March 18, 2024, 09:06:38 PMI think anyone following armagh know that the depth of players commiting to the team at present hasn't been seen for the past 20odd years. There are quality players currently sitting on the bench we would have been building teams around 10 years ago, certainly a conundrum mcgeeney never had when he started.

In terms of success, ulster would certainly be a realistic possibility with the draw, and failing to win that would been seen as a failure to capitalise on all the elements aligning (a good team, good draw, and previous final experience).

This is a nonsense and part of the populist narrative in the county over the last couple of years.
We have a large panel of players of a very similar and good standard. A lot of players are interchangeable.

McGeeney demands an extremely high level or work and when they're all hitting that together it makes the team formidible. He's getting a tune out of lads at that level through conditioning and effort that I wouldn't have though possible watching them play club football.

However, Armagh don't have the number of high quality players that most of the division one teams have. Forker, Grugan and Murnin are the exceptions to that - they'd make any team in my view. This is why Rian is such a disappointment as he has exceptional ability but doesn't back it up with the work on and off the pitch the others do.

Beyond that group, everyone is replaceable by similar but that group is smaller than most top counties.

If Armagh are to win Ulster or All Ireland titles it will be a collective effort and a result of team ethic and approach tactically.

imtommygunn

I think that is a much more reasoned post. Armagh can replace like for like with a lot of players so do have the benefit of depth but maybe the best of the best with them just isn't quite as high as with some others. Dublin can bring Jack McCaffrey off the bench and Kerry the likes of Stephen O'Brien. No one else really - Derry and Tyrone included - can bring that level of player off the bench.

lurganblue

I think McGeeney has been searching for that level of player to use as an impact sub late in games but as you say, we dont really have the luxury to leave a higher level player on the bench.  He tried it with Stefan quite a bit.  Most recently in the Ulster Final. Then he inevitably gets the loud cries of why did this player not start if they play so well...

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 19, 2024, 10:36:58 AM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on March 18, 2024, 09:06:38 PMI think anyone following armagh know that the depth of players commiting to the team at present hasn't been seen for the past 20odd years. There are quality players currently sitting on the bench we would have been building teams around 10 years ago, certainly a conundrum mcgeeney never had when he started.

This is a nonsense and part of the populist narrative in the county over the last couple of years.
We have a large panel of players of a very similar and good standard. A lot of players are interchangeable.

McGeeney demands an extremely high level or work and when they're all hitting that together it makes the team formidible. He's getting a tune out of lads at that level through conditioning and effort that I wouldn't have though possible watching them play club football.

However, Armagh don't have the number of high quality players that most of the division one teams have. Forker, Grugan and Murnin are the exceptions to that - they'd make any team in my view. This is why Rian is such a disappointment as he has exceptional ability but doesn't back it up with the work on and off the pitch the others do.

Beyond that group, everyone is replaceable by similar but that group is smaller than most top counties.

If Armagh are to win Ulster or All Ireland titles it will be a collective effort and a result of team ethic and approach tactically.

What part is nonsense?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

imtommygunn

Quote from: lurganblue on March 19, 2024, 10:59:14 AMI think McGeeney has been searching for that level of player to use as an impact sub late in games but as you say, we dont really have the luxury to leave a higher level player on the bench.  He tried it with Stefan quite a bit.  Most recently in the Ulster Final. Then he inevitably gets the loud cries of why did this player not start if they play so well...

I just don't think many teams out there have that luxury - only two and arguably one have. To have a team not starting Jack McCaffrey for example is ludicrous. No one else could do that.

5times5times

Any watering holes in Irelands real capital for the games on Sat? Is it a far walk from train station to PUC?

Armamike

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 19, 2024, 10:36:58 AM

Would agree.  We can only really judge the quality of the players we have by how they perform in the bigger pressure championship games so for me if we're talking quality forwards, they need to be showing it on Ulster final day, All-Ireland quarter final etc.  A pressure free kick, a key score at a critical time, a goal. Something to show that they can impact a fairly big game against decent opposition. I can't say too many Armagh forwards have shown that in recent years.  They may have another chance this year so let's see.
That's just, like your opinion man.

armaghniac

Quote from: 5times5times on March 19, 2024, 01:40:45 PMAny watering holes in Irelands real capital for the games on Sat? Is it a far walk from train station to PUC?

I think it is a far walk from PUC to anything useful, station is 40-45 mins.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B