Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2018, 11:25:58 AM
Under a week to go and I've managed to secure a ticket for the final.. looking forward to this, just to see if Galway can back up what they did last year or can Limerick shock everyone and get over the line.. they missed the boat a few years ago 95/96?, I was at the match and remember that they wouldn't have a better chance to win, Carey was brilliant and Kirby missed a few, think he ended up with a broken hand..

The craic should be mighty

Limerick suffered heartbreak in 94 against us when our lads went mad for 5 minutes. In 96 they lost to a worse Wexford team, in my opinion. Gary Kirby's finger was broken very early in the game in 'suspicious' circumstances.

They also lost badly in 07 when they were outmatched v Kilkenny and Eddie Brennan roasted Seamus Hickey early on.

I'd love to see them win this.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 12:47:52 PM
Under a week to go and I've managed to secure a ticket for the final.. looking forward to this, just to see if Galway can back up what they did last year or can Limerick shock everyone and get over the line.. they missed the boat a few years ago 95/96?, I was at the match and remember that they wouldn't have a better chance to win, Carey was brilliant and Kirby missed a few, think he ended up with a broken hand..

Limerick suffered heartbreak in 94 against us when our lads went mad for 5 minutes. In 96 they lost to a worse Wexford team, in my opinion. Gary Kirby's finger was broken very early in the game in 'suspicious' circumstances.

They also lost badly in 07 when they were outmatched v Kilkenny and Eddie Brennan roasted Seamus Hickey early on.

Remember the Offaly game rightly, christ, talk about getting hijacked! Limerick were numb. Momentum is impossible to break late in a game, the rate of scores offlay got and the angles they hit them over was outrageous..

Mon Limerick, though I'm a Galway fan from the 80's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonadmad

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 12:47:52 PM

Liam Dunne,it was that done Kirby

And if roasted is a euphemism for giving a lad the butt of the hurl into the nuts before the ball was thrown in,then Brennan roasted Hickey all right

AZOffaly

Yep, I didn't want to name him here.

Wexford were agricultural that day. Most Limerick people I know would deem that a blacker day than 1994.

mouview

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 01:56:09 PM

Wexford were agricultural that day. Most Limerick people I know would deem that a blacker day than 1994.

Despite being at it, I don't recall a huge amount from '96, save a WX man (Scallan?) getting the line. Speaking of things agricultural, I do recall saying to a Wexford fan on the Hill before the match that the injured Sean Flood (a contractor) was a big loss to the Yellow Bellies. "Is that right?" said the fan, "What happened him?"

It was somehow pre-ordained that WX would win that year, having finally thrown off the twin shackles of KK and Offaly in Leinster, and beating Galway in the semi', a sine non qua in those days for winning Liam.

johnnycool

Quote from: mouview on August 13, 2018, 03:08:17 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 01:56:09 PM

Despite being at it, I don't recall a huge amount from '96, save a WX man (Scallan?) getting the line. Speaking of things agricultural, I do recall saying to a Wexford fan on the Hill before the match that the injured Sean Flood (a contractor) was a big loss to the Yellow Bellies. "Is that right?" said the fan, "What happened him?"

It was somehow pre-ordained that WX would win that year, having finally thrown off the twin shackles of KK and Offaly in Leinster, and beating Galway in the semi', a sine non qua in those days for winning Liam.

Wexford may have been agricultural but they'd also some very fine hurlers in their ranks.  Martin Storey, Larry O'Gorman, Tom Dempsey, Rory O'Connor, Liam Dunne, the O'Connors, Larry Murphy and Adrian Fenlon were all fine hurlers.

I remember poor Billy Dooley bent over his hurley near the end when the ball broke to him and just having enough energy to turn and put it over the bar. Mad game and all that it was.
Limerick couldn't handle having the spare man so early in the game.

AZOffaly

Wexford had fine hurlers. I'm saying they were agricultural that day. Limerick are still sore over that one.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 03:37:48 PM
Wexford had fine hurlers. I'm saying they were agricultural that day. Limerick are still sore over that one.

Limerick can go on all they like about the damage inflicted on Kirby but they'd enough coarse christians off their own to give it back. Mike Houlihan, Sean O'Neill and the likes weren't a bit shy at breaking a bit of ash when the need arose.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on August 13, 2018, 03:49:15 PM

Limerick can go on all they like about the damage inflicted on Kirby but they'd enough coarse christians off their own to give it back. Mike Houlihan, Sean O'Neill and the likes weren't a bit shy at breaking a bit of ash when the need arose.

Houlihan :) An absolute lunatic. Don't remember Sean O'Neill as being particularly nasty.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 03:50:24 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 13, 2018, 03:49:15 PM

Houlihan :) An absolute lunatic. Don't remember Sean O'Neill as being particularly nasty.

Skinny tall lad did midfield? He didn't spare the ash either. He'd a brother who played the odd time in the forwards as well, was a gentler soul compared to Sean.

AZOffaly

Yeah I know the lad. His brother was Owen or Eoin I think?

johnnycool

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on August 13, 2018, 04:44:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
Yeah I know the lad. His brother was Owen or Eoin I think?

The very one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8mauQ2npA0

15 seconds in

that's right, he's Murroe. The next club over the border to ourselves.

Minder

He tried to soften up George O'Connor at the throw in in 1996 and George was having none of it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

Quote from: Minder on August 13, 2018, 05:56:00 PM
He tried to soften up George O'Connor at the throw in in 1996 and George was having none of it

I think Limerick people being sore about agricultural hurling is a bit rich.

Just on that tagent, I cant remember a dirty blow being struck this year throughout the championship. Think this is one of the reasons the skilful players are flourishing at the moment.
(Maybe the u21 lad with the kick on the Tipp lad  :o)