Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

There is none. If you're fouled and the refs plays advantage I'm not aware of any caveat that allows the fouled player to foul himself without punishment. 

Jim_Murphy_74

I can't claim to be well versed in the particular rules but that was the explanation given on Sunday Game for Ger Aylward goal standing.

I haven't watched Shane's goal back yet to count steps so don't know how many he actually took.  I would maintain though that he was trying to play the ball fair.  Calling it back would be a reward to those dragging out of him.

/Jim.

shark

Quote from: Zulu on August 07, 2018, 02:31:06 PM
There is none. If you're fouled and the refs plays advantage I'm not aware of any caveat that allows the fouled player to foul himself without punishment.

You're 100% correct. However, if the refs started calling this by the letter of the law there could be unintended consequences of increased pulling and dragging. Why would you not foul a lad going through on goal, and there is no black card! One of the reasons the big hurling games have been so exciting has been refs letting so much go. I can understand how that can be frustrating in equal measure. Mannion was fouled blatantly 3 times in 30 seconds at the end of the first half and the ref just let it run.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: shark on August 07, 2018, 02:52:06 PM

You're 100% correct. However, if the refs started calling this by the letter of the law there could be unintended consequences of increased pulling and dragging. Why would you not foul a lad going through on goal, and there is no black card! One of the reasons the big hurling games have been so exciting has been refs letting so much go. I can understand how that can be frustrating in equal measure. Mannion was fouled blatantly 3 times in 30 seconds at the end of the first half and the ref just let it run.

In a practical sense the steps one if policed that way would give no advantage in a lot of cases. 

Take a scenario where a player is dragged on his third or fourth step.  The ref gives advantage to the now off-balance player and he corrects his run.  Immediately a free for over-carrying.  Regardless of rule, it appears to the games I am watching the ref is either:

1) Giving a couple of steps grace
2) Counting from advantage on
3) Just going with the flow

I know many will say it is number 3!

/Jim.

Zulu

I agree and it's a tough one for refs. However, I think hurling referee's are not actually refereeing the game and leaving a lot of fouls go. It certainly helps the entertainment value and players accept it but I think it's very odd that blatant frees are not given. Interestingly, Brian Gavin, in his column in the Irish examiner said that the sending off in the Kerry Kildare game was probably correct as striking or attempting to strike around the head was a sending off in FOOTBALL. The rule book is the same for both codes yet I think the games are refereed completely differently. Football referees are far too fussy but hurling ones leave far too many blatant fouls go. Mind you, where the happy medium is I've no clue.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on August 07, 2018, 03:38:45 PM
I agree and it's a tough one for refs. However, I think hurling referee's are not actually refereeing the game and leaving a lot of fouls go. It certainly helps the entertainment value and players accept it but I think it's very odd that blatant frees are not given. Interestingly, Brian Gavin, in his column in the Irish examiner said that the sending off in the Kerry Kildare game was probably correct as striking or attempting to strike around the head was a sending off in FOOTBALL. The rule book is the same for both codes yet I think the games are refereed completely differently. Football referees are far too fussy but hurling ones leave far too many blatant fouls go. Mind you, where the happy medium is I've no clue.

I also think the hurling refs are reffing to make the entertaining game. If one team is getting ahead, the losing team gets a few handy ones, and the winning team gets nothing for a few minutes.

NAG1

There is no caveat in the books, but most refs (rightly or wrongly) allow that extra couple of steps to the player being fouled.

I dont think O'Donnell's goal was the worst example of over carrying we have seen in this season never mind over the past few.

Milltown Row2

As NAG said it's not the worst for goals. Ref did allow extra couple but no more, man going in for goal being hauled back, this used to be the old advantage rule that never was a rule, if you know what I mean, count how many steps it was from the 'foul' before he throws it on to his stick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Zulu on August 07, 2018, 03:38:45 PM

I agree to an extent - but fail to see that it's a problem.  If the players accept it, the fans accept it and the game is more entertaining as a result, I don't see why the practice should be changed.

Milltown Row2

The ref is riding Galway here, been at least two advantages not given, and theee slaps from Tipp men on the heads of Galway players that haven't received a card! Plus one slap down on a Galway players hand let off also!

Other than that Tipps accuracy is something else.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ball Hopper

Tipp ahead 2-13 to 0-9 at halftime.  Galway down to 14.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 08, 2018, 08:22:05 PM

The red card was ridiculous! Be seriously embarrassed if I was sent off for that, or sent someone off for that based on what the linesman said!

How many people are sent off for jostling with their markers? Zero

Ball Hopper

Tipp red card for challenge on keeper...keeper off injured.  2-16 to 0-11...Tipp ahead with 20 mins to go.

tippabu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2018, 08:28:52 PM

The red card was ridiculous! Be seriously embarrassed if I was sent off for that, or sent someone off for that based on what the linesman said!

It was a strike, very close to hitting him in the balls, red card all day long. The 2nd red was a disgraceful decision

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tippabu on August 08, 2018, 08:47:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2018, 08:28:52 PM

It was a strike, very close to hitting him in the balls, red card all day long. The 2nd red was a disgraceful decision

Behave yourself! A strike? The guy went down like a footballer.. embarrassed for you