Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

It could be a Clare versus Limerick final.

shantygael

Doesn't matter who is in it at this stage,(for the neutral)it will be a novel pairing.if it is half as good as the semis it will be a cracker
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Farrandeelin

Hope Limerick go on and win it out now. It's great none of the big 3 are there for the second year in a row.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 29, 2018, 08:22:02 PM
Hope Limerick go on and win it out now. It's great none of the big 3 are there for the second year in a row.
would love to see clare win it but i think galway might be just too strong for them the next day out.
nil satis nisi optimum

Minder

Limerick have beaten all three
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnnycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 29, 2018, 08:27:26 PM
would love to see clare win it but i think galway might be just too strong for them the next day out.

Galway need to check on the walking wounded before they can see off Clare.
McInerney may be a bigger loss than Canning, sacrilege I know, Galway really missed him when he went off. They were very open defensively when he exited the stage.
Would have kept Conor Whelan on the field though.

Clare will grow in confidence from Saturday, with Shanagher and Conlon causing problems when the ball was given in early. First touch in general from Clare was poor in general.
Limerick will fear neither with the extra weeks rest .
I was all for a compressed championship but maybe a wee tweek is required.

Mayo4Sam

Ur right on McInerney, huge loss. Galway have nobody really to replace him, IMO he's the one irreplaceable on that team
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2018, 10:40:56 PM

McInerney may be a bigger loss than Canning, sacrilege I know, Galway really missed him when he went off. They were very open defensively when he exited the stage.

Clare will grow in confidence from Saturday, with Shanagher and Conlon causing problems when the ball was given in early. First touch in general from Clare was poor in general.
I don't think they considered injuries in the masterplan.

Also Cork have been quite disappointing in the last few years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2018, 07:28:27 AM

Back to back Munster titles, poor? Unlucky yesterday, should have had the game won, only for the introduction of Shane Cork would have won!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mouview

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 29, 2018, 11:40:08 PM
Ur right on McInerney, huge loss. Galway have nobody really to replace him, IMO he's the one irreplaceable on that team

Wouldn't say irreplaceable, but it needs a bit of rejigging around, something not easy to do during the course of a game. Could see Padraig Mannion no. 6 the next day. Canning still a huge loss for his placed-balls acumen, score-taking and score-making. Could also be more injuries too :-(
One of these you might just get away with.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2018, 08:10:52 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2018, 07:28:27 AM

Back to back Munster titles, poor? Unlucky yesterday, should have had the game won, only for the introduction of Shane Cork would have won!
Back to back Munster winners and semi final losers.
Haven't won an all Ireland since 05

seafoid

I think we might get a repeat of 94-98 if we are lucky with the old firm shunted out of contention and the lesser counties winning a few all Irelands.
A Limerick all Ireland would be fantastic for the game.
Nice contrast with the football as well.

trailer

What's the view on Cork's fitness? They had Limerick where they wanted them going into the last 10 but couldn't get those couple of scores to stem the Limerick onslaught. They were out on their feet in extra time. Limerick had serious impact from the bench and Shane Dowling who I only heard of after watching the Na Piarsaigh AI SF win and his wonder goal, is a serious player. A huge effort to push them on and seems like a real leader given his interview afterwards.

Have to say the hurling championship has been immense this year. Serious games and serious commitment from the teams.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on July 30, 2018, 10:02:29 AM
What's the view on Cork's fitness? They had Limerick where they wanted them going into the last 10 but couldn't get those couple of scores to stem the Limerick onslaught. They were out on their feet in extra time. Limerick had serious impact from the bench and Shane Dowling who I only heard of after watching the Na Piarsaigh AI SF win and his wonder goal, is a serious player. A huge effort to push them on and seems like a real leader given his interview afterwards.

Have to say the hurling championship has been immense this year. Serious games and serious commitment from the teams.

Dowling has been oustanding for NP and Limerick for a few years now, bad injury and of late and only coming back to fitness, is class though is up with the best
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2018, 11:44:10 PM
They'll be doing well to replace Canning mind you.

I'd need to watch it back but he wasn't that overly involved in open play on first review. two line balls over the bar and deadly from frees all the same.
The lack of fresh faces in the Galway team could be their undoing although got a few run outs in the league, only Sean Loftus would be new to the larger hurling public at this level.

In Cork another Munster championship won't be enough when they see a Clare/Galway/Limerick man lifting the Liam McCarthy in a few weeks time. They expect and demand to be challenging for top honours. Last year was tolerated as it was their first time back at that level and competing.
This year they were aiming for the big one.

They have fine hurlers in their ranks, the touch and control of the likes of Lehane, Horgan, Fitzgibbon and even Harnedy is a thing of beauty and their shooting by and large is unreal.
BUT they lack two things;
A serious goal threat, a big aerial winning full forward who can bustle his way to goal (Think Conlon, Guillane, Flynn, Dowling, Shanagher, Duggan, Joe Cooney)
And
A defence able and capable of stopping a big, aerial winning full forward like those mentioned above.

They dominated large parts of that game yesterday but never were able to land the killer blow.

There'll be a novel pairing in the AI final anyways so that is good.