The Big Merger

Started by Baile Brigín 2, October 27, 2022, 09:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Jungle drums say the GAA, LGFA and CI are merging in (or from) December. Anyone else hearing this?

thewobbler

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 27, 2022, 09:45:35 PM
Jungle drums say the GAA, LGFA and CI are merging in (or from) December. Anyone else hearing this?

It can't happen that quickly, apart from at a cosmetic level. There's got to be a tonne of logistics to work out in terms of structuring boards, finances and constitutions at a national, regional, county and club level. Which means a truckload of politics, legal support, and training.

It'll drip feed in from next year but I can't see a full rollout before 2025 myself.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on October 27, 2022, 10:35:56 PM

It can't happen that quickly, apart from at a cosmetic level. There's got to be a tonne of logistics to work out in terms of structuring boards, finances and constitutions at a national, regional, county and club level. Which means a truckload of politics, legal support, and training.

It'll drip feed in from next year but I can't see a full rollout before 2025 myself.

I believe Mary McAleese is heading up the project to align the organisations.

seafoid

Compared to women's soccer, LGF and camogie can benefit from 2 of the GAA's particular strengths -   the volunteer culture and the resources that the GAA has benefited from historically.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

SCFC

Quote from: thewobbler on October 27, 2022, 10:35:56 PM

Yeah, by year end there might be some agreement in place to merge but that's about it.
It will take a couple of years, I'd guess.

Itchy

I think it is great to see this but cant possibly happen by December.

twohands!!!

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2022, 09:03:02 AM
Compared to women's soccer, LGF and camogie can benefit from 2 of the GAA's particular strengths -   the volunteer culture and the resources that the GAA has benefited from historically.

Agreed on resources

But I don't see that either association benefits particularly from the GAA's volunteer culture

In my experience, the volunteer culture within the camogie association is as strong, if not stronger than that within the GAA

Perhaps there might be a slight gain from merging into an organisation with a common purpose

Cavan19

Hopefully this will mean the ladies will start paying their away around the clubs now and realise that pitches don't mark themselves, floodlights, heating and running of showers cost money and equipment bought by the club didn't just land on the pitch.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Cavan19 on October 28, 2022, 02:30:32 PM
Hopefully this will mean the ladies will start paying their away around the clubs now and realise that pitches don't mark themselves, floodlights, heating and running of showers cost money and equipment bought by the club didn't just land on the pitch.

That is generally included in rent though, is it not?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2022, 09:03:02 AM

Soccer, camogie and LGF don't have a volunteer culture?

Cavan19

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 28, 2022, 02:32:30 PM

That is generally included in rent though, is it not?

There would be war if that was mentioned around here  ;D

Itchy

Thats a fair point, I know our club hosts ladies team (a local amalgamation of a few clubs) and they pay nothing towards the upkeep of the grounds. They dont be long complaining if they cant get access or have to use the 2nd pitch. So it does work both ways and ladies teams will have to pay  their way too.

thewobbler

We've a similar scenario going on.

To be honest I don't see it in One Club becoming a case of "camogie and LGFA must provide X volunteer hours and Y thousand quid directly each year towards maintenance". If we are all operating as one club, then so would be the groundsman and so would be the fundraisers.

The initial shock (in our club) is likely to be when membership fees for the females rise to meet what the males currently pay. An absolute requirement for female players to help lead and support every fundraising drive, will take a bit of adjusting too. The really awkward part of this is that if a few basic requirements aren't met, then there has to be some form of previously agreed internal sanction available for use against that code. And it'll be holy f**king war drowned in floods of tears when that hammer is needed.

——

I'm all for One Club. But equality just ain't always what it's stacked up to be!