The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

I am of the opinion that he was generally terrible throughout Ireland's qualifying campaign, and indeed for his whole International career to date.

On Lennon, he has pace but nothing else. Awful crosses, you can see Lukaku's understandable frustration with Lennon's delivery. Deulofeu has his weaknesses, but he's a much better player.

imtommygunn

Mccarthy had not lived up to his club form for quite a while for ireland. In the germany home game he was superb. Really he suits a specific way of playing. Barry and him compliment each other at everton. For ireland whelan does not compliment him. When whelan doesn't play he plays a lot better but he has been very good in qualifying.

Deulofeu isn't worth a start for everton. Once full backs started marking him tightly and nipping at him he didn't want to know. If there was an offensive full back against him he wouldn't track back. He had a massive detrimental impact on coleman too. Lennon's final ball may be poor but he covers coleman and he covers his full back. Deulofeu is worth a sub role but it was noticeable he was going to come on last night just before the goal. Goal was scored and plug was pulled. Why? Because defensively everton would have struggled with coleman more or less double teamer.

The Stallion

Barry, McCarthy and Cleverly are really poor central midfielders, and this is one of the weakest areas in the Everton side. They need to prioritise getting a new keeper, coupleof central midfielders and a centre back. Howard is finished and Stones and Jagielka aren't very good.

imtommygunn

Quote from: The Stallion on March 13, 2016, 09:15:46 PM
Barry, McCarthy and Cleverly are really poor central midfielders, and this is one of the weakest areas in the Everton side. They need to prioritise getting a new keeper, coupleof central midfielders and a centre back. Howard is finished and Stones and Jagielka aren't very good.

You are way off the mark on mccarthy. Barry fits a specific system like everton's very well and has been very good this year. Everton tend to do a lot worse when mccarthy is not on too. They have a ready made quality midfielder in besic. If they played the best midfield quartet they would be ok.

Jagielka isn't fit enough this year with injuries but he is a good defender.

You are closer to the mark on stones and cleverly definitely mind you and have a point on barkley...

The Stallion

We'll have to agree to disagree on McCarthy.

imtommygunn

About 2 years ago i would have agreed but not now. All about opinions so fair enough.

Main Street

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 13, 2016, 10:00:03 PM
About 2 years ago i would have agreed but not now. All about opinions so fair enough.
It isn't all about opinions. so fck the "fair enough".
A shíte opinion is a shíte opinion. 
If some moron says Scholes was a crap midfielder and the reply is  "it's all about opinions"  as if to give credence to trollism then I say fck the troll, give me an informed opinion.
McCarthy is an ace midfielder for Everton.

The Stallion

Assuming we're paying Aces low, I agree with you. He's rubbish.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Main Street on March 13, 2016, 11:04:07 PM
If some moron says Scholes was a crap midfielder and the reply is  "it's all about opinions"  as if to give credence to trollism then I say fck the troll, give me an informed opinion.

To be honest all you need to do is look at everton's record with and without him to see how important he is. A shite opinion is still an opinion so people entitled to it ;D

Esmarelda

Quote from: Main Street on March 13, 2016, 11:04:07 PM
McCarthy offers absolutely nothing in possession. He's very good at breaking up the play but Besic showed him up when he played for a few weeks there recently.

The Stallion

I agree he offers nothing in possession. Although on your second point I disagree, I think he has a tendency to give away silly fouls.

johnneycool

Quote from: The Stallion on March 14, 2016, 10:08:33 AM
I agree he offers nothing in possession. Although on your second point I disagree, I think he has a tendency to give away silly fouls.

McCarthy does the job at Everton he's meant to do, break up the play and give the ball to someone else, remember a lad called Dunga doing the same for Brazil and he ended up lifting the world cup for Brazil and was derided by the english media as useless.
Horses for courses.
Barry is playing very well ATM, I'd have him ahead of Henderson and Joe Allen every day of the week. Besic was going well until his injury and has shown glimpses, having big Yaya in his back pocket of the first leg of the Capital One cup and was sadly missed in the second leg when Everton were overrun..

Lukaka was a bargain at £28M, no doubt considering some of the other donkeys bought for considerably more.

Stones and Barkley have great potential, but in both cases their decision making can be terrible at times, both need to learn about playing for the team and I'm not sure Martinez is the man to bring that to their game.

Squad wise Everton are healthy enough to be pushing for a top 4, just not consistent and defensively frail like all Martinez's teams.

Time to go Martinezz..

ashman

McCarthy is an average player , in an average team in what is becoming an average league .

That said he is important to ROI.

Btw I would have a bit of a gra for everton .

SHEEDY

Not the draw we wanted, tough semi-final no matter who gets through. Hopefully it will be a replay of the 1984 final with Watford with the same result.
nil satis nisi optimum

ashman

Quote from: johnneycool on March 14, 2016, 11:23:57 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on March 14, 2016, 10:08:33 AM

McCarthy does the job at Everton he's meant to do, break up the play and give the ball to someone else, remember a lad called Dunga doing the same for Brazil and he ended up lifting the world cup for Brazil and was derided by the english media as useless.
Horses for courses.
Barry is playing very well ATM, I'd have him ahead of Henderson and Joe Allen every day of the week. Besic was going well until his injury and has shown glimpses, having big Yaya in his back pocket of the first leg of the Capital One cup and was sadly missed in the second leg when Everton were overrun..

Lukaka was a bargain at £28M, no doubt considering some of the other donkeys bought for considerably more.

Stones and Barkley have great potential, but in both cases their decision making can be terrible at times, both need to learn about playing for the team and I'm not sure Martinez is the man to bring that to their game.

Squad wise Everton are healthy enough to be pushing for a top 4, just not consistent and defensively frail like all Martinez's teams.

Time to go Martinezz..

Barkley looks to me always like a fella who could lose another half stone weight .