Lough Neagh

Started by ONeill, August 21, 2023, 11:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

What now?

One of Ireland's potential gems is turning into a sewer.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

Some alot of dead fish starting to turn up. There too much farming run off ending up in it to start with. A hot June followed by heavy rain fall caused the issue to explode.

seafoid

Inputs like farm runoff will  have to be more carefully  managed in future. Autumn and winter rain should help but it is a warning. 

Eamonnca1

Sheughs on the southern shore run straight into the lough. If there's slurry-spreading going on as described on the other thread then that couldn't be good.

seafoid

Water systems are fragile. The Israelis took too much water out of the Dead Sea.
https://youtu.be/Oqh6hGLqAG8
Fixing problems can be very expensive.

RedHand88

Ballyronan has got desperate looking this year. The water has a permanent later of green on top.

Applesisapples

biggest threat to the bio-diversity of the Lough is sand dredging. The volume of famous Lough Neagh midges which feed so many fish and birds has dwindled to nothing.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 22, 2023, 04:11:16 PM
biggest threat to the bio-diversity of the Lough is sand dredging. The volume of famous Lough Neagh midges which feed so many fish and birds has dwindled to nothing.

And that's led to an explosion in housing in the countryside. It used to be a certain type of person that would put up with living in the county with the midges coming out in their squillions in the summer evenings. Now all the townies are moving out to the lough shore where they can have a big house, so the place is turning into a big traffic-ridden suburb.

Sportacus

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 22, 2023, 04:11:16 PM
Zebra mussel major problem.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Sportacus on August 22, 2023, 08:56:00 PM
Zebra mussel major problem.

Yep. Feck all to do with the sand.

Which is probably causing other problems
i usse an speelchekor

weareros

Is the Tory post Brexit vote, supported by DUP, that makes it easier to pump raw sewage into lakes and sea anything to do with the sad state of Lough Neagh? A horrid bunch to vote for that.

Itchy

I see 5 or 6 root causes already here but of course we all know its really due to Climate Change.

Saffrongael

There is green algae on loads of lakes and water bodies where raw sewage isn't being pumped into, it is a sign of poor water quality though - it should start to fade away you would think when the temperatures start to cool a bit
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on August 23, 2023, 01:30:36 PM
I see 5 or 6 root causes already here but of course we all know its really due to Climate Change.
Extreme summer heat is cough cough linked to climate change.

Upandover

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 23, 2023, 01:40:02 PM
There is green algae on loads of lakes and water bodies where raw sewage isn't being pumped into, it is a sign of poor water quality though - it should start to fade away you would think when the temperatures start to cool a bit

Not to the same extent as lough neagh just now though. The blue green algae is being caused by eutrophication, allsorts of things being emptied into the rivers and finding its way into lough neagh, in essence the lough is being treated as one big septic tank for the north or ireland.

The implications go above the lough also, the algae is now travelling up the bann and out onto beaches etc, mans greed and all that.