2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Good old Division 1 damned if you do damned if you don't. Ideal scenario for Kildare would be a 6th place finish including beating a stale Dublin first game up. The draw is kind with Monaghan and Tyrone at home after that Dublin away game, is it ever anywhere else, Kildare have also Mayo and Galway at home. So I predict we will stay up on 6 maybe 7 points. If O'Neill can keep Kildare up and discover 2 new defenders and another midfielder to compliment Feeley and Moolick it will be a very good league.

Kerry will win the league with Dublin missing out on the final, Tyrone will be runners-up.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Tyrone and Donegal could be dark.horses for relegation.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

Dinny from looking at the current panel the defence is where O´Neill is giving a lot of new faces a chance. It´s a case of Feely with AN Other in the middle and I imagine he will try to get a team settled ASAP and build on. I honestly think Luke Flynn is a great addition as a bastardy type at the back. Kevin Flynn is another who has serious pace at half back.

Galway lads here don't seem to confident so that isn´t a bad sign for a lad who wants his team to stay up...Depending on how Donegal settle and if they try any new systems- players it could make or break them.
Would any Donegal men be fearing the drop here?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

tippabu

Quote from: seafoid on January 03, 2018, 11:53:26 AM

Tyrone would be but donegal Id fully expect to be in the mix for relegation. Monaghan have always seemed to throw their lot into the league recently and championship has suffered for it, they may also struggle. For me theres a Divide between top 4 and bottom 4 in division 1, Dubs, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone battling to win it they other 4 fighting to stay up

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 03, 2018, 12:26:12 PM
Dinny from looking at the current panel the defence is where O´Neill is giving a lot of new faces a chance. It´s a case of Feely with AN Other in the middle and I imagine he will try to get a team settled ASAP and build on. I honestly think Luke Flynn is a great addition as a bastardy type at the back. Kevin Flynn is another who has serious pace at half back.

Galway lads here don't seem to confident so that isn´t a bad sign for a lad who wants his team to stay up...Depending on how Donegal settle and if they try any new systems- players it could make or break them.

Mikey Kelly has been Towers best player since the season they were relegated to Intermediate, has had to deal with a lot personally so I suspect he would have been in and committed before now otherwise. He's not slow, smart and is as hard as nails expect him to really challenge for corner back, Dempsey from Moorefield is highly rated too. I think we might have better defenders this year but if the system is not right and it never looks right we could be going down before we have even started.
#newbridgeornowhere

StephenC

Will be surprised if we don't get relegated. Murphy, McGlynn and McGlynn out for the first 3 league games. Will be good experience for the younger lads but the drop is likely.

Syferus

Quote from: tippabu on January 03, 2018, 12:29:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 03, 2018, 11:53:26 AM

Tyrone would be but donegal Id fully expect to be in the mix for relegation. Monaghan have always seemed to throw their lot into the league recently and championship has suffered for it, they may also struggle. For me theres a Divide between top 4 and bottom 4 in division 1, Dubs, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone battling to win it they other 4 fighting to stay up

Mayo are one of the most vulnerable teams in D1 and have been for many years now. League should not be judged by championship placings.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway lads here don't seem to confident so that isn´t a bad sign for a lad who wants his team to stay up...

The unavailability of some players and the injuries to others make it very difficult IMO. By my count I think we'll be missing the following players for most it not all the league campaign.

Bernard Power
Liam Silke
Gary Sice
Martin Farragher
Ian Burke
Gary O'Donnell
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Johnny Heaney
Danny Cummins
Michael Daly

Not ideal for a return to top flight football and that's before a ball has been kicked. I'm sure we'll lose a few more once the actual games start. Might do a Donegal from last year and the young players do just about enough in the early games to stay up but I'd be doubtful.

Duine Eile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 03, 2018, 02:49:03 PM
Galway lads here don't seem to confident so that isn´t a bad sign for a lad who wants his team to stay up...

The unavailability of some players and the injuries to others make it very difficult IMO. By my count I think we'll be missing the following players for most it not all the league campaign.

Bernard Power
Liam Silke
Gary Sice
Martin Farragher Michael Farragher
Ian Burke
Gary O'Donnell
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Johnny Heaney
Danny Cummins
Michael Daly

Not ideal for a return to top flight football and that's before a ball has been kicked. I'm sure we'll lose a few more once the actual games start. Might do a Donegal from last year and the young players do just about enough in the early games to stay up but I'd be doubtful.

Micheál Lundy, Ronan Steede also. I'd love to see Kieran Molloy get a couple of runs for the seniors to see how he'd get on. Dylan Wall is another from Corofin who was excellent and might get the call when the club finishes up.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 03, 2018, 04:26:38 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 03, 2018, 02:49:03 PM

Bernard Power
Liam Silke
Gary Sice
Martin Farragher Michael Farragher
Ian Burke
Gary O'Donnell
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Johnny Heaney
Danny Cummins
Michael Daly

Micheál Lundy, Ronan Steede also. I'd love to see Kieran Molloy get a couple of runs for the seniors to see how he'd get on. Dylan Wall is another from Corofin who was excellent and might get the call when the club finishes up.

Would be an excellent achievement to stay up given the circumstances. Expectations are too high on Kelly at full back too. I'd like to see Brannigan given a chance in the half back line but probably unlikely to happen.

From the Bunker

Mayo having been living on the edge in both League and Championship under Roachford! Expect that to continue under Roachford. So expect a 4 to six points total survival - if we survive.

Although we ran Dublin close in the AI Final, I don't expect anything more from this group in the Championship! They are in decline. Giving 115% in last year AI Final and still 2 points away from beating Dublin proved this! Don't get wrong they will beat nearly every county in the country still except Dublin! That is worth shag all at this stage! They might get another Connacht, but that will be about it!

J70

Not fearing it as such (as in I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it), but I reckon we're good bets to go down.

Some main men will be missing for the first three or four games - Murphy, Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath, Frank McGlynn. Leo McLoone is not back yet. The Kilcar men were late back to training, but I don't know if they're going to miss any league action. Think Jason McGee has been out too.

No harm to give all these young lads some more action though, while Brian Mullins' son will get a run out at midfield. And hopefully we'll get away from the all-out defensive tactics and try to play a bit more openly. Let the chips fall where they may. Its not like we're an All Ireland or even very serious Ulster contender this year anyway.

Captain Obvious

So the expectation among supporters is that Kildare,Galway,Mayo,Donegal,Monaghan will get relegated but only two can...

Captain Scarlet

It makes us all look shocking cagey!
Donegal men saying they might drop, Galway men saying they haven't a hope and Kildare lads getting in early to say we don't fancy staying up!
Div 2 was mad last year and so tight. Once it's not a case of one or two teams tanking then there won't be many complaints. Kildare would be looking to build and any game we lose, at least not be lying down.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

It's a pity you can't short teams
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU