Ciaran McKeever

Started by Owen Brannigan, August 15, 2017, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 18, 2017, 01:56:31 PM
I merely suggested moving it to the local thread. Id also advocate the same for any half decent footballer retiring.
Don't think it merits a place on the main section. We could end up it being full of threads for average county footballers retiring.

Totally agree, he was a long serving player for armagh but was just a very average player. My memory of him will be when he was destroyed by eoin bradley in the ulster championship semi final from a frw years ago. I'd say he never had a harder or worse game. He was left on his ass a few times by the twisting and turning of skinner.

Armamike

Quote from: LCohen on August 18, 2017, 01:43:01 PM
Quote from: Armamike on August 18, 2017, 01:11:07 PM
if you can't say anything decent about someone, say nothing.

Utter rubbish.

Plenty on here are blind to mckeever's playing qualities. Often due to their own baggage and loyalties. Plenty are blind to his failings for the same reason. But there is always room for genuine opinion. Otherwise it is not a discussion forum

My own view is I tend to avoid threads where I've got nothing half positive to say about the player who's retired.  Plenty of threads have been put up here over the years on players I wouldn't have much time for and I kept my counsel.  Maybe I'm alone in that but if someone's put in a lot of years hard service at county level I think they're due a certain level of respect at retirement. 

That's just, like your opinion man.

LCohen

Quote from: Armamike on August 18, 2017, 03:04:48 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 18, 2017, 01:43:01 PM
Quote from: Armamike on August 18, 2017, 01:11:07 PM
if you can't say anything decent about someone, say nothing.

Utter rubbish.

Plenty on here are blind to mckeever's playing qualities. Often due to their own baggage and loyalties. Plenty are blind to his failings for the same reason. But there is always room for genuine opinion. Otherwise it is not a discussion forum

My own view is I tend to avoid threads where I've got nothing half positive to say about the player who's retired.  Plenty of threads have been put up here over the years on players I wouldn't have much time for and I kept my counsel.  Maybe I'm alone in that but if someone's put in a lot of years hard service at county level I think they're due a certain level of respect at retirement.

Praise from someone who isn't prepared to call it as they see it isn't worth much though is it ?

Owen Brannigan

For such an average player he had acheivements that most county players will never attain and certainly those jumping in on this thread to criticise him will be nowhere near:

4 Ulster SFC medals (2004, 2005, 2006, 2008)
3 League titles - Division 1 (2005), Division 2 (2010), Division 3 (2015),
1 All-Ireland U-21 medal (2004) as captain of Armagh
1 Ulster U-21 medal (2004)
4 Railway Cup medals with Ulster
Represented Ireland in four International Rules series.

Erwin Rommel

Quote from: lenny on August 18, 2017, 02:39:33 PM
Totally agree, he was a long serving player for armagh but was just a very average player. My memory of him will be when he was destroyed by eoin bradley in the ulster championship semi final from a frw years ago. I'd say he never had a harder or worse game. He was left on his ass a few times by the twisting and turning of skinner.

Aye definitely skinners finest moment and one that came to define his career. Has to be worth at least 2 of those Ulster Championships medals that McKeever has!!    ;D

Erwin Rommel

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 18, 2017, 09:47:08 AM
And who can forget when he cried about 'racism' he suffered against Laois despite him being known for sledging shite himself, one incident against Martin Clarke was particularly unsavoury.

I seem to have forgot that.

any chance you could post a link to a quote from McKeever. Just to prove like that your not talking through your hole.

rrhf

Didn't he captain his club to the county final one year as well. Overall he was a trenches man for his teams and  putting county rivalries aside he was armaghs leader for 10 years.

Itchy

I can see why Armagh fans would like him but I thought he was a 2nd grade thug on the field. Armagh had some great players like McDonnell and mcconville. Mckeever wasnt one of them.

T Fearon

Longest lasting member of the All Ireland U21 winning side of 2004,and a survivor of the epic battles with Tyrone in 2005,harshly penalised for Tyrone's winning Free in the AI semi final that year.His soccer equivalent in terms of style and commitment would be Celtic skipper Scott Brown

Has to be admired for not walking away prematurely,like so many of that U21 side did,and not only a great footballer,but expert organiser of pre match band parades😂😂

naka

Quote from: Itchy on August 18, 2017, 09:20:27 PM
I can see why Armagh fans would like him but I thought he was a 2nd grade thug on the field. Armagh had some great players like McDonnell and mcconville. Mckeever wasnt one of them.
Itchy
No need to be rancorous if you don't like him that's all well and good he didn't get paid for it but he represented Armagh every year for 14 years with pride
Sometimes in an amateur sport there really isn't any glory only guys like you who will undermine
Am 50 years of age and have watched great players in down ( linden , James etc) in Tyrone ( Peter,o Neill) Derry ( gilligan , tohill)
He was a good servant for Armagh no need to  be depreciating

Targetman

As a Down man I feckin hated to see Mc Keever playing against us, he was effective in most of the things he did, legal or otherwise but I always said we could do with a McKeever or 2 in our team, still could!

StGallsGAA

Quote from: T Fearon on August 18, 2017, 09:20:36 PM
Longest lasting member of the All Ireland U21 winning side of 2004,and a survivor of the epic battles with Tyrone in 2005,harshly penalised for Tyrone's winning Free in the AI semi final that year.His soccer equivalent in terms of style and commitment would be Celtic skipper Scott Brown

Has to be admired for not walking away prematurely,like so many of that U21 side did,and not only a great footballer,but expert organiser of pre match band parades😂😂
Did he foul O'Neill?  Of course he did.  He said himself he could have no complaints as he just wanted to stop a nailed on score any way he could.

regal

Fair play to the Tyrone and Down folk who have been fair and honest in their comments on mckeever. I must say as someone who has been less than gracious at times when Tyrone players have retired over the years, I've been impressed by many of the respectful comments. I'm starting to come round to supporting Tyrone next Sunday!!

I compare that to the disparaging comments from some of the Derry contingent. Considering I can't remember Derry palying a serious championship with Armagh (or many others) in 17 years, I must say that their comments would explain why their county is about 40 years behind the rest of the country. Narrow minded, parochial, bitter and distasteful.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rrhf on August 18, 2017, 09:06:53 PM
Didn't he captain his club to the county final one year as well. Overall he was a trenches man for his teams and  putting county rivalries aside he was armaghs leader for 10 years.

Well said, if any fans had reason to dislike McKeever, it was Tyrone fans.

But I'm glad to see a lot of Tyrone lads on here have good respect and appreciation for what McKeever gave to Armagh. Personally, I've always seen him as a credit to Ulster football. Nevermind the bitter Derry ones.

omaghjoe

Quote from: regal on August 19, 2017, 12:17:24 AM
Fair play to the Tyrone and Down folk who have been fair and honest in their comments on mckeever. I must say as someone who has been less than gracious at times when Tyrone players have retired over the years, I've been impressed by many of the respectful comments. I'm starting to come round to supporting Tyrone next Sunday!!

I compare that to the disparaging comments from some of the Derry contingent. Considering I can't remember Derry palying a serious championship with Armagh (or many others) in 17 years, I must say that their comments would explain why their county is about 40 years behind the rest of the country. Narrow minded, parochial, bitter and distasteful.

Ive been steadily unimpressed.
Im putting it down to giving him the send off he deserved on his last outing tho, when the dist settles on his career he'll be remembered more appropriately.