All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2017, 10:47:33 PM
Quote from: ashman on August 08, 2017, 10:44:40 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2017, 10:37:00 PM
Mayo need to try something different for this however I've seen nothing thus far to suggest that Rochford is much of a tactician.

Last year his team brought a brilliant Dublin team to the wire , twice .

That didn't happen by accident .

Massive work rate was a huge component.
Don't recall anything noteworthy from a tactical perspective.

According to Colm Parkinson, Mayo pushed up on Roscommon's kickouts but left a Ros player free to force the keeper to kick to him and knowing where the kickout was headed the mayo players closest to the free Ros player were ready to swarm him. Tactics now are far more refined but I'd say Mayo are doing plenty.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on August 08, 2017, 11:23:28 PM
According to Colm Parkinson, Mayo pushed up on Roscommon's kickouts but left a Ros player free to force the keeper to kick to him and knowing where the kickout was headed the mayo players closest to the free Ros player were ready to swarm him. Tactics now are far more refined but I'd say Mayo are doing plenty.
Mayo losing to Galway,needing extra time to beat Cork,Derry and replay to overcome Roscommon would suggest Rochford is struggling with his tactics. Kerry beat Galway,Cork comfortably in 70 minutes and would do the same against Derry,Roscommon if they played them.

dublin7

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 09, 2017, 12:07:43 AM
Mayo losing to Galway,needing extra time to beat Cork,Derry and replay to overcome Roscommon would suggest Rochford is struggling with his tactics. Kerry beat Galway,Cork comfortably in 70 minutes and would do the same against Derry,Roscommon if they played them.

Mayo will do what they always do. Work hard and give everything. Unfortunately for them this has not been good enough in the past. They have shown nothing this year to indicate that anything has changed.

Rochford has tried to change tactics and introduce more of a kicking game this year, but Mayo don't have the forwards to make it work. For the replay he went back to Horan's style of play and it suited the team far better.

Ballaghman

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 08, 2017, 10:45:21 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 08, 2017, 09:01:45 PM
Mayo would love Tyrone in a final.

Just like they loved Donegal in 2012? Mayo are clearly 4th best out of the 4 teams left standing.
Clearly. With analysis like that I think I'll head straight down to the bookies when they open.

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on August 09, 2017, 12:22:49 AM

Mayo will do what they always do. Work hard and give everything. Unfortunately for them this has not been good enough in the past. They have shown nothing this year to indicate that anything has changed.

Rochford has tried to change tactics and introduce more of a kicking game this year, but Mayo don't have the forwards to make it work. For the replay he went back to Horan's style of play and it suited the team far better.

Ah, sure we'll turn up and fulfill the next fixture anyway.

Zulu

Don't think how Mayo do against teams outside the top 2 or 3 has anything to do with tactics, it's more to do with their attitude. I don't see any evidence that they've been tactical poor in the past few years.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on August 09, 2017, 01:43:44 AM

Don't think how Mayo do against teams outside the top 2 or 3 has anything to do with tactics, it's more to do with their attitude. I don't see any evidence that they've been tactical poor in the past few years.

The biggest attitude problem must be with Rochford as you do need decent tactics to beat teams outside the top 2 or 3 comfortably. Its up to a manager to have his team in right mindset for who ever they play is it not?

Zulu

Many top teams have struggled past weaker teams. Mayo just need to win they don't need to set the world alight against Clare or Derry. What have Mayo done in recent games that was tactically poor?

Il Bomber Destro

Mayo have done enough in their big games in the past few years to win those matches and Sam itself. The reason they haven't is they've imploded on themselves at key moments. All their failings have been internal failings which they can address but up to they've seemed to look to blaming external factors.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2017, 07:34:35 AM

Mayo have done enough in their big games in the past few years to win those matches and Sam itself. The reason they haven't is they've imploded on themselves at key moments. All their failings have been internal failings which they can address but up to they've seemed to look to blaming external factors.

That said all the tactics in the world wont change 2 own goals in all ireland final, last minute frees to win / equalise etc
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 09, 2017, 01:30:29 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2017, 07:34:35 AM

That said all the tactics in the world wont change 2 own goals in all ireland final, last minute frees to win / equalise etc

Tactics can't legislate for bent refs like McEneaney or Reilly either.

macdanger2

Quote from: Aughafad on August 08, 2017, 08:43:56 PM
I'm of the opinion that Donaghy is not the player to worry about for Mayo but Geaney is. Dublin and Tyrone have shown over the years how to mark Donaghy and i think Mayo have the players capable of keeping him quiet. Geaney on the other hand is a real handful and will take some watching.
Donaghy is getting on a bit and isn't as mobile now and is only gonna play about 50 minutes whereas Geaney and O Donaghue will be on the go for the full 70.

Geaney is definitely a better footballer, possibly the best inside forward in the game at the moment. That said, it was Donaghy who broke Galway early on in the QF and we've allowed him a free reign far too often ourselves.

Depending on Barry Moran's fitness (unlikely to be fit apparently), I think we'll go with something like this:

Clarke
Barrett Vaughan/Moran Harrison
            Higgins
Keegan Boyle Durcan
SOS Parsons
DOC AOS McLoughlin
Andy COC

Our HB line matches up well against what is one of Kerry's weaker lines at HF (Walsh, Buckley, Geaney/Murphy?) and we'll need to get 5-6 scores from there to win. Midfield is where we'll need big performances, Moran is top quality with Maher/Barry doing the donkey work. If they get enough ball, the FF line will make hay

We'll need a big improvement up front too, the amount of handy chances we missed under relatively little pressure against Roscommon was criminal.

galwayman

Possibly with Moran unlikely to be fit enough to match up to Donaghy - Vaughan will match up with him?
The key thing for Mayo is they will have other bodies in around him to stop him doing damage when he gets to ground for any catches he makes.
World of difference between that defence and ours in fairness.

Lar Naparka

Good God Zulu, you cannot be serious!!
Remember Limerick 2014?
Horan matched Cafferkey with Donaghy  who outfielded him every time the ball was kicked in?
Not only did Horan fail to makes any changes to curb Donaghy's dominance but he set no one to mark Jamesy who went to toen on ballls bropken down by Donaghy. IIRC, Donaghy scored 2-7 that day.
The gruesome twosome got their P45s because they made a bulls of a job on the sideline in the first game against Dublin in 2015.The pair was later to claim one of the players left the notes prepared for the game behind him in the hotel and the players reared up on the poor, innocent managers because of this!
Rochford was getting a bollicking form all quarters up to last Sunday. He persisted in taking Andy Moran and Colm Boyle off around the 50 minute mark even though there was no obvious reason for doing so.
Okay, things went a thousand times better last Sunday but I believe that the players pressurised Rochford into making clearly necessary changes in tactics.
If any of the managers since O'Mahony got off the pot, had the tactical savvy of, say, Jim Gavin or Mickey Harte, the Mayo team would be up to its collective arse with Celtic crosses by now. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 10, 2017, 01:13:07 PM

Good God Zulu, you cannot be serious!!
Remember Limerick 2014?
Horan matched Cafferkey with Donaghy  who outfielded him every time the ball was kicked in?
Not only did Horan fail to makes any changes to curb Donaghy's dominance but he set no one to mark Jamesy who went to toen on ballls bropken down by Donaghy. IIRC, Donaghy scored 2-7 that day.
The gruesome twosome got their P45s because they made a bulls of a job on the sideline in the first game against Dublin in 2015.The pair was later to claim one of the players left the notes prepared for the game behind him in the hotel and the players reared up on the poor, innocent managers because of this!
Rochford was getting a bollicking form all quarters up to last Sunday. He persisted in taking Andy Moran and Colm Boyle off around the 50 minute mark even though there was no obvious reason for doing so.
Okay, things went a thousand times better last Sunday but I believe that the players pressurised Rochford into making clearly necessary changes in tactics.
If any of the managers since O'Mahony got off the pot, had the tactical savvy of, say, Jim Gavin or Mickey Harte, the Mayo team would be up to its collective arse with Celtic crosses by now. ;D

You have no appreciation for what managers have achieved do you? You call them every name under the sun, but you might remember before Horan took over, John O'Mahony (who is somehow spared your disdain) led us to a defeat to Longford.
Horan took over that Autumn and led us to 4 connacht titles in a row, 4 semi finals in a row and 2 finals. Do you think he might have earned some respect for that? Do you think maybe tactics played a part in those achievements?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."