Old outfield players still plugging away?

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, June 22, 2017, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

"Smoking" Joe McNally still togs (did last year anyhow) for Bohernabreena, div 11 south.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

imtommygunn

seafoid

Maggie , the Laois hurler who recently passed away, was playing into his 50s. Joe Cooney hurled with Sarsfields into his 40s. He never lost it. I think Mike Coleman played on with Abbeyknockmoy. Ciaran McDonald was playing relatively recently. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

heffo

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
For Westmeath Denis Glennon (33) is the oldest with the footballers and had only missed 1 year since 2003. With the hurlers Brendan Murtagh is still going at 35. I reckon he probably made his senior debut as a minor, which would have been 2000. Can't be sure though.

How many times has he packed it in

heffo

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2017, 08:52:38 PM
Maggie , the Laois hurler who recently passed away, was playing into his 50s. Joe Cooney hurled with Sarsfields into his 40s. He never lost it. I think Mike Coleman played on with Abbeyknockmoy. Ciaran McDonald was playing relatively recently.

I think Maurice Fitz is still playing away with the Mary's. He was until recently anyway.

Gabriel_Hurl

last played in 2015 I think - he was manager at the time

Schkite

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 23, 2017, 07:31:40 PM
Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 09:57:04 AM
Not so sure. At that age you are sure to have lost speed and power, but with the correct training you can hold on to your cardiovascular fitness well in to your 40's. Mid 30's myself and still able to go pretty well (by my standard) around the middle 8, but I wouldn't have a hope from a standing start in the full back line.
In 5-10 years time I don't think we will see any intercounty players in mid 30's.

It is getting rarer all right, sad to see how some players lose their legs completely in there early 30s. Seeing Tiernan McCann ghost by Karl Lacy (only 32) is a case in point. The oldest Dub is Bernard Brogan at 33, Mayo have Andy Moran at 33, Tyrone have Sean Cavanagh at 34 while Kerry's oldest is Donaghy at 34 as far as I can see. So there is no real elder statesman in any of the top teams. Cork have Donncha O'Connor still going at 36 but that is a reflection of where they are at.
Monaghan keep their ages a secret but Vinnie Corey can't be too young now, while Dessie Mone has plenty of miles on the clock.

No secret at all, they'll be in the program tomorrow sure. Thankfully the media seem to have dropped the "Monaghan are an aging team" that was going on for a while there. With the exception of the two lads you mention, I believe our whole squad is 29/30 and under. But yeah, Vinny and Dessie are 34 and 33 respectively so around the same as the other older players you mention. Gollogly would be about the same but I haven't seen him in a match day squad for a while now.

thewobbler

Ryan McCloskey must be 35/36 at this stage. He's been around since I was young. Which was long ago.

Was chatting to Ronan Murtagh last week in Ballyholland and it would seem that of the Down All Ireland minor team of 99, he's the only one still playing club football still, though Benny the legend has the occasional stab at it between injuries.

A young man's game.

shark

Quote from: heffo on June 23, 2017, 09:39:38 PM
Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
For Westmeath Denis Glennon (33) is the oldest with the footballers and had only missed 1 year since 2003. With the hurlers Brendan Murtagh is still going at 35. I reckon he probably made his senior debut as a minor, which would have been 2000. Can't be sure though.

How many times has he packed it in

Glennon or Murtagh?
Glennon walked a few times but came back for championship every year bar last year.

Gael85

Not so sure. At that age you are sure to have lost speed and power, but with the correct training you can hold on to your cardiovascular fitness well in to your 40's. Mid 30's myself and still able to go pretty well (by my standard) around the middle 8, but I wouldn't have a hope from a standing start in the full back line.
In 5-10 years time I don't think we will see any intercounty players in mid 30's.

It is getting rarer all right, sad to see how some players lose their legs completely in there early 30s. Seeing Tiernan McCann ghost by Karl Lacy (only 32) is a case in point. The oldest Dub is Bernard Brogan at 33, Mayo have Andy Moran at 33, Tyrone have Sean Cavanagh at 34 while Kerry's oldest is Donaghy at 34 as far as I can see. So there is no real elder statesman in any of the top teams. Cork have Donncha O'Connor still going at 36 but that is a reflection of where they are at.
Monaghan keep their ages a secret but Vinnie Corey can't be too young now, while Dessie Mone has plenty of miles on the clock.

From a Kildare perspective we still have Eamon Callaghan coming on as a sub and he has to be at least 35 at this stage. Ollie Lyons is the only starter over the age of 30 and at 31 he has not lost an inch of pace and would be up there with the quickest players in the country still. Many others of a similar age did not age as well, whether that was down to the intense training in the McGeeney years remains to be seen. Johnny Doyle is still class at club level at the age of 39.

Denis Bastic(36) is Dublin oldest player.

PMG1

Ricey is still flying for his club, will be forty this year

Syferus

Quote from: PMG1 on June 24, 2017, 12:21:06 AM
Ricey is still flying for his club, will be forty this year

He didn't have much ability to lose in the first place.

INDIANA

Quote from: Gael85 on June 24, 2017, 12:02:25 AM

From a Kildare perspective we still have Eamon Callaghan coming on as a sub and he has to be at least 35 at this stage. Ollie Lyons is the only starter over the age of 30 and at 31 he has not lost an inch of pace and would be up there with the quickest players in the country still. Many others of a similar age did not age as well, whether that was down to the intense training in the McGeeney years remains to be seen. Johnny Doyle is still class at club level at the age of 39.

Denis Bastic(36) is Dublin oldest player.

Is nowhere near getting a game this year I'm afraid. Not sure why he stayed on to be hoenst