John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Tubberman

Hmmm... maybe not over yet, but I wonder how many others would be willing to give up their positions on a matter of principle?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on September 26, 2014, 12:31:47 PM
Hmmm... maybe not over yet, but I wonder how many others would be willing to give up their positions on a matter of principle?

I think the clever ones usually do that, but at the right time.

Look at leadership contests over the years, many of the ultimate winners have to step down first. It can be a key step to undermine an incumbent, especially when it is on a matter of principle or more usually after a vote of no confidence.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on September 26, 2014, 12:40:01 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 26, 2014, 12:31:47 PM

I think the clever ones usually do that, but at the right time.

Look at leadership contests over the years, many of the ultimate winners have to step down first. It can be a key step to undermine an incumbent, especially when it is on a matter of principle or more usually after a vote of no confidence.

Ed McGreal reporting another member of the executive is to resign later today.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ballaghman

I'm as disgusted as anyone about the way this farce was conducted. Two good Mayo men like McStay and McHale deserved much better and I can't believe our delegates acted like such sheep last night.
A couple of things have got me wondering (doesn't take much I know).

1. Did the delegates not voice their disapproval because there was such a strong desire from the clubs that C & H got the job (i.e. That McStay didn't)?
2. The players have been very quiet. So they should be you might say but they seem very content to move on and work with the 2 boys. That's definitely the impression I got off AOS on the last word. Have the county board had a quiet word with some key players and simply chosen the men they wanted, by whatever means necessary?

I can't help but feel that the second point is playing a bigger part than we are acknowledging. Maybe I'm just being naive and it's wishful thinking that the players are happy with this decision, if not the process. If the players agree with the appointment then things will not be as bleak as some are suggesting.
However, if what some are saying is right and the players are pissed off then we are in for a couple of wasted years.

Syferus

Allowing players to dictate terms is one of the worst things you can do, though. That core Mayo panel have had an incredible level of security under Horan.

To get one last push out of that panel before they start breaking apart would take lighting a fire under them and making lots of players uncomfortable. Connelly/Holmes are giving that panel what they want (Buckley, no McHale) and I don't know if fattening the cow yet again is the approach Mayo needed.

Really interesting year ahead in Connacht.

Nihilist

Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2014, 08:25:56 PM
Allowing players to dictate terms is one of the worst things you can do, though. That core Mayo panel have had an incredible level of security under Horan.

To get one last push out of that panel before they start breaking apart would take lighting a fire under them and making lots of players uncomfortable. Connelly/Holmes are giving that panel what they want (Buckley, no McHale) and I don't know if fattening the cow yet again is the approach Mayo needed.

Not sure that's accurate. The players want continuity. Much easier to get a push out of a team if the team buys into the management rather than if the team doesn't. Also new management will have their own take and stamp on how the team look. Whether it is good enough or not we will have to wait and see.

Shrewdness

When the dust has settled on all this controversy, i would expect Mayo to kick on in the new year and more than likely make it five Connacht titles in a row. Can anyone realistically see any other outcome?

Ballaghman

Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2014, 08:25:56 PM

I know what you mean Syf but I wouldn't agree entirely with that either. You must have happy players and the players have to fully buy into what the new management wants to do. True, the players can't run the show but they have to be 100% behind this appointment. If the players are ok with this appointment then so am I but what I can't agree with is the way it was done and the way McStay was treated.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 26, 2014, 09:15:50 PM
When the dust has settled on all this controversy, i would expect Mayo to kick on in the new year and more than likely make it five Connacht titles in a row. Can anyone realistically see any other outcome?

We were three points up on the feckers with ten minutes to go ffs, why wouldn't we think we can give them a game? Every streak ends and it rarely comes when it's 'supposed' to happen. If Galway have any shape about them next year they'll be able to give Mayo a game in Pearse too. Who knows what shape Sligo will take next year. Plenty of interesting match-ups possible.

Nihilist

Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

We were three points up on the feckers with ten minutes to go ffs, why wouldn't we think we can give them a game? Every streak ends and it rarely comes when it's 'supposed' to happen. If Galway have any shape about them next year they'll be able to give Mayo a game in Pearse too. Who knows what shape Sligo will take next year. Plenty of interesting match-ups possible.

Have you seen a draw for the championship yet ?

Syferus

Quote from: Nihilist on September 26, 2014, 10:28:52 PM

Hmm? Are you being smart or serious?

The championship draw is on next month, usually K-Mac and whoever they let out of the Sunday Game pensioners' home running the rule over the ties..

Nihilist

Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2014, 10:37:28 PM

The championship draw is on next month, usually K-Mac and whoever they let out of the Sunday Game pensioners' home running the rule over the ties..

Actually I was being a little of both ;)

Seeing as none of us know yet what the draw will be, well I could equally put the argument forward that we might not play Galway in Pearse at all. What happens if ye draw them in the Hyde? I would expect this Ros team to give Galway a good challenge especially if that turned out to be the draw. And if we were then on the other side we could end up playing ye in Castlebar. I would hope that home advantage here would be a big plus ifthis were to be the case.

Syferus

Quote from: Nihilist on September 26, 2014, 11:05:44 PM

Seeing as none of us know yet what the draw will be, well I could equally put the argument forward that we might not play Galway in Pearse at all. What happens if ye draw them in the Hyde? I would expect this Ros team to give Galway a good challenge especially if that turned out to be the draw. And if we were then on the other side we could end up playing ye in Castlebar. I would hope that home advantage here would be a big plus ifthis were to be the case.

Will be in Pearse if we play Galway, indeed whoever we play next year will be an away game for us. Last time was 2012 and possibly the most embarrassing performance I've ever seen by a Roscommon team at Hyde Park, being hammered by a team that subsequently got knocked out by Sligo and Antrim, the later of whom we'd kicked around for fun a few weeks earlier. Beating Galway in Galway is rarely easy but we'd have plenty of motivation. If we didn't get best possible draw (Leitrim in a semi-final..), I'd want Galway. If we can't beat them there's no point even bothering with Mayo in Castlebar.

We're playing London and Galway get New York in the QFs so Mayo won't be meeting either county until the semi-finals at the earliest.

Nihilist

Quote from: Nihilist on September 26, 2014, 11:05:44 PM

Actually thinking back ye played them in the Hyde in 2012. Was this the last time ? If so next time will be in Pearse correct. If so well ya - fair enough. Galway will be good next year. And hard to beat. Get the money on now.

Nihilist

Will be in Pearse if we play Galway, indeed whoever we play next year will be an away game for us. Last time was 2012 and possibly the most embarrassing performance I've ever seen by a Roscommon team at Hyde Park, being hammered by a team that subsequently got knocked out by Sligo and Antrim, the later of whom we'd kicked around for fun a few weeks earlier. Beating Galway in Galway is rarely easy but we'd have plenty of motivation. If we didn't get best possible draw (Leitrim in a semi-final..), I'd want Galway. If we can't beat them there's no point even bothering with Mayo in Castlebar.

We're playing London and Galway get New York in the QFs so Mayo won't be meeting either county until the semi-finals at the earliest.

Apologies - didn't see this before previous post.