29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2014, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2014, 11:18:31 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2014, 10:00:44 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2014, 09:15:10 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 21, 2014, 02:38:41 AM
Split Dublin they said more like split mayo for the sake of peace. Thanks be to christ im not from a big club down home, they're all full of their own importance and the bias is just incredible.  Id be more concerned about yer Kiltane defeat today than stickin yer head up your arse over the adopted rossies failed bid for the hot seat.

Connelly deserves our support.

I am from a 'big club'.

Our manager has been appointed.

I am not overwhelmed by the appointment. Please explain my 'bias'.

Are you not a Castlebar man mup??

Yip. Pat was our manager up to earlier this year.

Was the "big club" thing a typo so or what??  ;D ;D

28 titles and current Connacht Champions.

There must be a of a lot of small clubs in Mayo!  ;D
MWWSI 2017

bucko

Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2014, 01:53:49 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2014, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2014, 11:18:31 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2014, 10:00:44 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2014, 09:15:10 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 21, 2014, 02:38:41 AM
Split Dublin they said more like split mayo for the sake of peace. Thanks be to christ im not from a big club down home, they're all full of their own importance and the bias is just incredible.  Id be more concerned about yer Kiltane defeat today than stickin yer head up your arse over the adopted rossies failed bid for the hot seat.

Connelly deserves our support.

I am from a 'big club'.

Our manager has been appointed.

I am not overwhelmed by the appointment. Please explain my 'bias'.

Are you not a Castlebar man mup??

Yip. Pat was our manager up to earlier this year.

Was the "big club" thing a typo so or what??  ;D ;D

28 titles and current Connacht Champions.

There must be a of a lot of small clubs in Mayo!  ;D
If you're from a "small" club but you have a load of big players, are you then considered a "big" club??? :P

Mayo4Sam

Are you still a big club if you're playing intermediate football   ;)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

Was there ever any talk of Maughan having another go at it?
Would he still have the legs for it?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 04:33:19 PM
Was there ever any talk of Maughan having another go at it?
Would he still have the legs for it?

Whatever about having the legs for another go for it, he wasn't mentioned at all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: maigheo on September 22, 2014, 03:21:29 AM
To say that Donahy is a better F.F than Liston is going a bit far .Kerry are deserving All Ireland winners but they had  the luck with there 2 goals and that had nothing to do with tactics.Kerry had the better players on the day and that is what usually wins you games and any talk of Mayo or Dublin  being the 2 best teams in ireland this year is rubbish as they  were not good enough to get there.

We were good enough to get there - that s the annoying there.

If we re relying on being the best team on the day we ll find we never will be. Good managers try to ensure they are the best on the day. In recent years Harte, McGuinness and this year Fitzmaurice have given their team those extra inches.

Kerry s first goal yesterday was far from luck. On radio after JOD said they had practiced it in training. Pulling Donaghy out and isolating McGrath who they thought Geaney would take for height. If that s not tactics, I dunno what is. The second goal was good fortune and fair play to Donaghy he was waiting to pounce on a slack one. But Kerry played a strict tactical game all year and that got them there.

Jacko Shea said after that he had Kerry ranked as low as 5 for AI last May - his first 4 were Dub. Mayo, Cork and Tyrone in that order. Donegal were not even rated. He felt that the difference and the reason we had that final was because Kerry and Donegal had the 2 best managers. If Jim Gavin has a future he s going to have to look at the way Dublin plays and adapt. We ll have to wait and see.

I agree with him. You don t have to of course.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2014, 04:58:05 PM
To say that Donahy is a better F.F than Liston is going a bit far .Kerry are deserving All Ireland winners but they had  the luck with there 2 goals and that had nothing to do with tactics.Kerry had the better players on the day and that is what usually wins you games and any talk of Mayo or Dublin  being the 2 best teams in ireland this year is rubbish as they  were not good enough to get there.

If we re relying on being the best team on the day we ll find we never will be. Good managers try to ensure they are the best on the day. In recent years Harte, McGuinness and this year Fitzmaurice have given their team those extra inches.

Kerry s first goal yesterday was far from luck. On radio after JOD said they had practiced it in training. Pulling Donaghy out and isolating McGrath who they thought Geaney would take for height. If that s not tactics, I dunno what is. The second goal was good fortune and fair play to Donaghy he was waiting to pounce on a slack one. But Kerry played a strict tactical game all year and that got them there.

Jacko Shea said after that he had Kerry ranked as low as 5 for AI last May - his first 4 were Dub. Mayo, Cork and Tyrone in that order. Donegal were not even rated. He felt that the difference and the reason we had that final was because Kerry and Donegal had the 2 best managers. If Jim Gavin has a future he s going to have to look at the way Dublin plays and adapt. We ll have to wait and see.

They may have practiced that move but there was a huge chunk of luck involved as well - the ball in was s shot dropping short rather than a pass to Geaney. Brilliant finish though although he subsequently missed a much easier one

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 22, 2014, 10:09:05 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2014, 04:58:05 PM

They may have practiced that move but there was a huge chunk of luck involved as well - the ball in was s shot dropping short rather than a pass to Geaney. Brilliant finish though although he subsequently missed a much easier one

Yeah it looked like a shot but McGrath was still isolated. It might as well have been deliberate. That's the point. The second one would have ended the game. But it was tactical. The first dropping shot turned out to be a brilliant pass!

I think the penny has to drop eventually with Mayo people and losing. Can t always be blaming on Meath and bad luck.

If the current squad can t get there ( they should have already at least once) forget about it.
I ve always believed our players have been let down by watery management. Likes of Clarke, Higgins, Boyle, Keegan, O Sheas, McLoughlin, Parsons, O Connor, Dillon, Andy would back bone any AI winning team in the current circumstances.

maigheo

Jeez Moysider that last post was ridicules.You are making up something to prove your point that every other manager is a tactical genius and James Horan is no better than a junior B manager.Gaelic football is not a chess game where you plan every move and no matter what way you spin it  oBrien was attempting a shot which fell short and even if Neil McGee was marking Geaney he would  have probably scored.Stuff happens in games and the real fault for the goal lies with McNeilis,not some tactical wizirdy from Fitzmaurice.If Jim Mcguinness was a Mayo man yesterday there would be plenty of posters saying he was tactically inept in putting Mcgrath on Geaney.The simple reason that Mayo have not won the all ireland is that the opposition have been better than us  on the day .alot of pundits like talking about tactics as if they are a complete mystery but the reality is that a lot of tactics are getting the fundamentals right like passing with both hands,accurate kick passing,movement off the ball and being aware of every body around you.I am sure if kerry lost yesterday every body would be slating Fitzmaurice for taking O  Donoghue away from the scoring zone but the winners always get to write the script.

Tubberman

I see the Mayo CB seem to have completely mismanaged the selection process for the new manager - check out Ed McGreal's tweets on what's in this week's Mayo News.
A member of the executive has even resigned over the way the whole thing was handled.
The board are either incompetent, or deliberately ignored the process in order to appoint the man (men) they wanted. I'm not sure which is worse, probably the latter.
It seems the CB will continue to run their affairs in a completely amateurish and political way, and they don't really give a fck how they are perceived. It's such a contrast to the modern, direct, professional approach used by Horan to run the senior team.

It doesn't provide much grounds for optimism for the medium to long term future of Mayo football if these are the people making decisions. As was the oft-cited case in 1951, if and when Mayo win an All-Ireland, it will be in spite of the County Board, not because of them. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: Tubberman on September 23, 2014, 08:50:58 AM
I see the Mayo CB seem to have completely mismanaged the selection process for the new manager - check out Ed McGreal's tweets on what's in this week's Mayo News.
A member of the executive has even resigned over the way the whole thing was handled.
The board are either incompetent, or deliberately ignored the process in order to appoint the man (men) they wanted. I'm not sure which is worse, probably the latter.
It seems the CB will continue to run their affairs in a completely amateurish and political way, and they don't really give a fck how they are perceived. It's such a contrast to the modern, direct, professional approach used by Horan to run the senior team.

It doesn't provide much grounds for optimism for the medium to long term future of Mayo football if these are the people making decisions. As was the oft-cited case in 1951, if and when Mayo win an All-Ireland, it will be in spite of the County Board, not because of them.
Yes, this has been my concern also, and James Horan said it in his interview last week. The success of the last 4 years, and the minor all ireland happened almost despite the county board not because of them it seems. Its not like Tyrone, Kilkenny in hurling and other counties who have orchestrated a plan years back to ensure that everyone is pulling the same way. Its down to the fact that we always have quality footballers and had some really good guys (JH and team, Enda Gilvarry etc.) in key roles. All the issues that came out of the report 4 years ago after the Longford debacle are still there.
It would be absolutely criminal if this group of footballers (and there is plenty more talent to come in if the two bucks are open minded) dont win an all ireland. I think we will still ahve some success due to the talent that we have and the singlemindeness of these players, but it may not what it could have been, which is an all ireland because we are still not all pulling together.

Tubberman

Connelly & Holmes look to have a very good backroom team in place though.

Connelly, Holmes, Micheal Collins (selector), Donie Buckley (coach), Barry Solan (S&C).
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Tubberman on September 23, 2014, 11:35:45 AM
Connelly & Holmes look to have a very good backroom team in place though.

Connelly, Holmes, Micheal Collins (selector), Donie Buckley (coach), Barry Solan (S&C).

Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin as the stats person according to rumours.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

larryin89

I don't know, why are ye complicating all the tactical stuff with ifs buts and maybes.

1....Donaghy came on with minutes to go in sf , we were five points up , he created the goal and showed he could murder caff .

Q. Does that make horan tactically incompetent ? No,it was a chance taken by Kerry management, a last throw of the dice , it worked .

2..  We find ourselves in a replay , we've had our ample warning in the above, Horan has to combat the aerial threat from Donaghy with a tactic  whether it was when he came on or if he started. He didn't , he showed himself to be a first class clown in this episode , gloss over it whatever way you like. It lost us the game, not the losing of midfield, not the clash of heads blah blah .

Furthermore he didnt even try to change it after 20 mins into the replay with BM and TP  at his disposal one of them should of been dropped back to cover KD.   Caff has not got the hands for the high ball game, its just not in him . Lots of positives to the lads game but  it horses for courses in todays world.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .