A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Chimley

Quote from: Syferus on September 03, 2014, 11:42:05 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 03, 2014, 11:30:36 PM
Quote from: Chimley on September 03, 2014, 10:39:51 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 03, 2014, 10:07:42 PM
http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2014/09/03/4032333-connelly-front-runner-for-mayo-job/

Ummm

That's what we're up against. How do these clowns on the county board ever get elected.

Connacht telegraph? Not to be taken too seriously I'd have thought??

What's wrong with Connelly? He'd be a fine appointment.

Nothing wrong with Connelly (except he should have achieved a bit more with an exceptional group of u21s in my view) but the county board man crying in public about the fact that Horan never told them he was off and the bit about 'rules' for the next manager.
They won't be happy until they dismantle this squad of players. Looking for more of a yes man now I'd say

Chimley

Quote from: Tubberman on September 04, 2014, 07:03:40 AM
Quote from: Chimley on September 03, 2014, 10:39:51 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 03, 2014, 10:07:42 PM
http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2014/09/03/4032333-connelly-front-runner-for-mayo-job/

Ummm

That's what we're up against. How do these clowns on the county board ever get elected.

What's the problem with Connelly? He was joint manager of the u21s in 2006 and I always thought that all-Ireland was more to do with Connelly than Holmes. I think he could be a good appointment.

Looked great in 2006 but I'd be less impressed with our tactics against Laois in 2007 (admittedly with 14 men) , Kerry 2008 and Down 2009. Looking at the raw materials we certainly didnt achieve anything we shouldn't have.

Msgr. Horan

Yeah, whats his record with Hollymount like?
Ya see when you look at James and his track record up to that you could see that he had the ability to bring a group of players together and achieve things that they hadn't achieved before. Is that the case with Ray - what could he bring to it to get Mayo finally over the line? Those are genuine questions to those who may know more about him than me. We dont really have the luxury at this stage of just trying something. Of course there are no guarantees but we'd want to be fairly sure that the man for the job has a good chance. Past Performance indicates Future Performance generally so thats why this persons track record is so important.
Mayo at the moment remind me a bit of Munster, and thats not just with the losing finals thing, what I mean by that is that you have a very strong group of players there who know what they want and what they need. I reckon if the county board try to throw someone in who they think is not up to it, we might have a bit of a player revolt, and that might be no harm if they put someone in place who we all know from the beginning isnt up to it - as long as it doesn't get destructive a la Cork and to a lesser extent Limerick hurlers.

If the county board throw in some eeijet who they would be happy with because he will do their bidding and follow the "rules" which leads to a slow dismantling of the team then we may as well have a player revolt to stop that from happening.
Fans have a role to play in this too, I'd hope that the likes of Mayo club 51 and Cairde MaighEo will stand up and be counted here if it looks like we are going down the wrong road. The fear is that there are still many issues in the structures that we have and that JH dragged us kicking and screaming to the top table, its very very easy to fall below that again, very quickly.
As a cousin in Kilcolny said to me last year when we kicked the shite outta them in Pearce Stadium, "we'll still win the next all ireland before ye", he could easily be right if we feck up the next move.

Shrewdness

Horan's achievements are now well documented. He turned them into a serious outfit, but one that always just fell short.. A lot of you Mayo lads on here regularly attend club and county matches, so ye should know ye're stuff by now. So i have a question for ye...When the new manager takes over, and using all Horan's work as his foundation, what will it take to push this Mayo team over the line? Where should he look to find the extra 10 per cent performance required?

Farrandeelin

I believe he has to get the players mentally tuned in for big games Shrewdness. And none of this 'Game 5/6' whatever shite. Sorry but it really grated with me last year even though I didn't like to say it, it definitely did this year when I heard some Mitchels man counting all the games from the beginning of the club championship to the AI club final as 'Game 13' or something Call it for what it is, it's an All-Ireland final. Why not address the bloody mental side of things first and foremost and then go into the final positively.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 04, 2014, 08:48:11 PM
I believe he has to get the players mentally tuned in for big games Shrewdness. And none of this 'Game 5/6' whatever shite. Sorry but it really grated with me last year even though I didn't like to say it, it definitely did this year when I heard some Mitchels man counting all the games from the beginning of the club championship to the AI club final as 'Game 13' or something Call it for what it is, it's an All-Ireland final. Why not address the bloody mental side of things first and foremost and then go into the final positively.

I don't think mentality or attitude were a problem under Horan. There were very few problems really, the next man would need to be a top, top manager to do better than Horan. That bit of cuteness and quick thinking on the line is probably all that was lacking.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

saffronandblue

Rule No. 1 and the only rule for an appointment as Mayo Manager......you must be a die-hard blue-shirt.  No non Fine Gael heads need apply.........not sure what political colour McStay is, nor do I care, but if he's not a lover of our esteemed leader Enda he might as well forget about the job straight away. 

That said, N.C has a mighty track record, sure didn't he put a fine roof on the shed in McHale Park.........

My own opinion is that there should be no going back to the past and McStay should be given a crack at it..........down the line I see one Andy Moran as our next manager in waiting!!!!!!!

imtommygunn

If you look at tyrone or armagh the guys before the ai winning managers did great jobs but just fell that wee bit short of winning then big joe and mickey harte came in and had that wee bit extra.  Maybe that could happen in mayo?

Horan did a fantastic job. Where mayo are now compared to where they were before him was night and day.

If you look at donegal two years ago they were firing on all cylinders and really blitzed everyone. They struggled with mayo big time.

I guess that game could actually tell you the good and bad of horan. He built a team that could compete with anyone but in making changes he sometimes fell a wee bit short like he did leaving the smaller defender, who's name escapes me, on murphy.

moysider

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 04, 2014, 09:15:01 PM
If you look at tyrone or armagh the guys before the ai winning managers did great jobs but just fell that wee bit short of winning then big joe and mickey harte came in and had that wee bit extra.  Maybe that could happen in mayo?

Horan did a fantastic job. Where mayo are now compared to where they were before him was night and day.

If you look at donegal two years ago they were firing on all cylinders and really blitzed everyone. They struggled with mayo big time.

I guess that game could actually tell you the good and bad of horan. He built a team that could compete with anyone but in making changes he sometimes fell a wee bit short like he did leaving the smaller defender, who's name escapes me, on murphy.

Keane is probably our biggest defender! But I know what you mean I think. For me it was allowing Murphy isolated 1 on 1.  The Donaghy thing this year was a bit innocent as well.

As regards the future. Glad that Holmes not interested. He s had his stint and coułdn t understand why he was involved at U21 later.
Connelly's U21 record with Holmes is ok but Alan Mulholland shows that underage success is of no relevance.
Most worrying is the attitude of the clubs. Paddy Mac is going to appease the clubs it seems. Horan was hugely resented and if the board get their way we ll be looking at a patsy appointment.
Can't have it both ways. The fact that Horan was given most of what he wanted and came up short gives the clubs a large stick to beat the executive.
Paddy is already appeasing ( recent meeting a clubman claimed that the tail/Horan was wagging the dog/ board) the clubs and you can be sure that the committee that is sent out to interview the next manager will be telling those interested that they won't be able to get club matches postponed e.g.
We could find that we end up with slack enough candidates.

imtommygunn

Quote from: moysider on September 04, 2014, 10:47:09 PM

Keane is probably our biggest defender! But I know what you mean I think. For me it was allowing Murphy isolated 1 on 1.  The Donaghy thing this year was a bit innocent as well.

As regards the future. Glad that Holmes not interested. He s had his stint and coułdn t understand why he was involved at U21 later.
Connelly's U21 record with Holmes is ok but Alan Mulholland shows that underage success is of no relevance.
Most worrying is the attitude of the clubs. Paddy Mac is going to appease the clubs it seems. Horan was hugely resented and if the board get their way we ll be looking at a patsy appointment.
Can't have it both ways. The fact that Horan was given most of what he wanted and came up short gives the clubs a large stick to beat the executive.
Paddy is already appeasing ( recent meeting a clubman claimed that the tail/Horan was wagging the dog/ board) the clubs and you can be sure that the committee that is sent out to interview the next manager will be telling those interested that they won't be able to get club matches postponed e.g.

Was that keane?? Gees he's bigger than i remembered but yeah the one on one thing was bad too.

I hope they can get a good manager. Very few competitive teams at the top end and if one drop off will make the championship a lot more boring.

bucko

Unfortunately the following seems to back this up.
from the Irish Examiner "Resources may also be a sticking point for Horan's replacement as the board intends cutting overheads"
from the Connaught Telegraph "There is a special Croke Park charter for appointing a county manager. But we are entitled to add to this charter and we will be drawing up criteria for all the applicants for the job."
It seems the county board will move fast on the new appointment and a new manager is expected to be in place in the next month to six weeks. It is also evident the county board will have some set rules for the next manager."

Factor in the rumours after last years all Ireland of rows between Horan and the board over travel arrangements and accommodation and then more recently over the intermediate quarter finals, it looks like the next guy in the hot seat is going to be well shackled by the CB. If this group of players ever do win the all Ireland, like 51 it will be in spite of the county board, not because of it.

Syferus

Quote from: bucko on September 04, 2014, 11:35:14 PM

from the Irish Examiner "Resources may also be a sticking point for Horan's replacement as the board intends cutting overheads"
from the Connaught Telegraph ""There is a special Croke Park charter for appointing a county manager. But we are entitled to add to this charter and we will be drawing up criteria for all the applicants for the job."
It seems the county board will move fast on the new appointment and a new manager is expected to be in place in the next month to six weeks. It is also evident the county board will have some set rules for the next manager."
Factor in the rumours after last years all Ireland of rows between Horan and the board over travel arrangements and accommodation and then more recently over the intermediate quarter finals, it looks like the next guy in the hot seat is going to be well shackled by the CB. If this group of players ever do win the all Ireland, like 51 it will be in spite of the county board, not because of it.

Ah c'mon now. Ye built a massive palace in Castlebar and have been burning through money under Horan. It's only natural that there would need to be cuts after the Cap stepped down.

Your CB did nearly everything asked of them under Horan and it certainly wasn't their fault he never got over the line. That's more than a lot of counties get from their board.

moysider

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 04, 2014, 10:53:24 PM

Was that keane?? Gees he's bigger than i remembered but yeah the one on one thing was bad too.

I hope they can get a good manager. Very few competitive teams at the top end and if one drop off will make the championship a lot more boring.

Not optimistic. I was delighted Horan got the gig ahead of Lyons. It was probably too late for likes of Micko and Paudi by then, even though I'd have liked to see how they got on in  2007.
Jack O Connor has been mentioned in dispatches.
Always thought James Nallen would become s top manager but maybe has moved on. Could get fiery enough next month.

macdanger2

What is the process / timelines for picking the new manager?

bucko

Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2014, 11:49:23 PM
Quote from: bucko on September 04, 2014, 11:35:14 PM

from the Connaught Telegraph ""There is a special Croke Park charter for appointing a county manager. But we are entitled to add to this charter and we will be drawing up criteria for all the applicants for the job."

Ah c'mon now. Ye built a massive palace in Castlebar and have been burning through money under Horan. It's only natural that there would need to be cuts after the Cap stepped down.

Your CB did nearly everything asked of them under Horan and it certainly wasn't their fault he never got over the line. That's more than a lot of counties get from their board.
The massive palace in Castlebar and the associated debt was certainly their fault, and is a factor in cutting all these overheads. The board probably wasn't in a strong position to say no to Horan in the first place. If Horan had walked at any point and it came out it was because the board refused Horan resources there would have been uproar from supporters which could have impacted Cairde Maigheo uptake and subsequently the finances. That and the club fixtures issue gives the impression that there are self interests working against each other to the detriment of the county set up.