The Patronising Dublin Fan Thread

Started by Sidney, August 09, 2014, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 29, 2016, 02:44:08 PM
Dublin's high performance culture > Kerry's tradition.

Had a pain in my bollix all week listening to Kerry legend after Kerry legend going on about "hunger, revenge, pain, wanting it more, belief" and every other sporting cliche in the book.

What ever about best ever, impossible judge teams across different eras this Dublin team is the best prepared ever.

I never once doubted Dublin would win that game yesterday. Great ambassadors for Leinster Football.
Dublin and Dublin supporters would always be very mindful that we're representing Leinster. It's a victory for the whole province really, and we're delighted that Leinsterians from Carnsore Pont to the Cooley Peninsula to the left bank of the Shannon can bask in the reflected glory of our success.

Even Kerry, as part of the Leinster hurling championship, can now rejoice in the success of their province.

But nothing is won yet and we'll also be mindful that Mayo will go into the final as favourites - a repeat of Dublin's performance yesterday will mean no back to back All-Ireland.

rrhf

Im sure the Meath lads are just loving this... 

Dinny Breen

Quote from: sid waddell on August 29, 2016, 03:10:53 PM

Had a pain in my bollix all week listening to Kerry legend after Kerry legend going on about "hunger, revenge, pain, wanting it more, belief" and every other sporting cliche in the book.

What ever about best ever, impossible judge teams across different eras this Dublin team is the best prepared ever.

I never once doubted Dublin would win that game yesterday. Great ambassadors for Leinster Football.
Dublin and Dublin supporters would always be very mindful that we're representing Leinster. It's a victory for the whole province really, and we're delighted that Leinsterians from Carnsore Pont to the Cooley Peninsula to the left bank of the Shannon can bask in the reflected glory of our success.

Even Kerry, as part of the Leinster hurling championship, can now rejoice in the success of their province.

But nothing is won yet and we'll also be mindful that Mayo will go into the final as favourites - a repeat of Dublin's performance yesterday will mean no back to back All-Ireland.

As our champions we all expect you to deliver.
#newbridgeornowhere

Lar Naparka

Yes indeed this is the best prepared team ever and so it should be but let's compare like with like.
For one thing, Dublin, as of Census '16 has almost 9 times the population of Kerry and it logically follows that they can avail of sponsorship arrangements that other counties can only dream about.
Dublin has no worries about players having to travel long distances to get to their training grounds. They also get to play their championship (almost without exception) on their home pitch.
Sure, they are a very talented bunch but don't forget that the backbone of that team played against Meath in 2010 and were annihilated. The following year they won the All Ireland. In the interim, Dublin launched their 'Blue Wave' initiative and won the AI the very next year.
Go figure...
Was it the sheer natural talent of the players that makes them the best prepared team in the land or did the money spent on resources and coaching etc. play a part?
I wouldn't say they are great ambassadors for Leinster football either as that would imply that they were primus inter pares and that there was/is meaningful opposition within the province.
But there isn't and with 11 Leinster titles out of the last 12, they inhabit a different planet to the others.
I don't blame JIm Gavin or his players for the overwhelming advantages ion playing numbers and resources over every other team in the land. That's demographics at work and they have no say over that.
Trouble is that this particular cuckoo is getting way too big for its nest and that will bring about the same scenario that you see in the Scottish Premiership to the detriment of the GAA as a whole.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rrhf

There is talk of Dublin representing Ireland in the Olympics in Tokyo. 

Dinny Breen

Quote from: rrhf on August 29, 2016, 04:17:32 PM

Let's see how they get on in the 6 nations first.
#newbridgeornowhere

Wildweasel74

Bypassing the 6 nations and going straight on to the all Blacks, be Joe Brolly`s wet dream

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 29, 2016, 04:14:55 PM

Was it the sheer natural talent of the players that makes them the best prepared team in the land or did the money spent on resources and coaching etc. play a part?

Kevin Heffernan said he would always have a good big lad before a good little lad. Dublin have always gone with bigger athletic players - in the past some might not have been technically great. Exceptions to the big rule would be maybe Mick Deegan, Anto McCaul and Jim Gavin himself.
This bunch is athletic and for the most part very good technically as well and a few are very good indeed. A couple like McAuley and O Gara are not Ferraris but are strong and very effective.
I suspect that there are lots of smaller, very skilful players in Dublin clubs. But you would be mad not to go with the bigger lads when they can play as well.
Of course likes of Leitrim cannot hope to develop a squad like that, neither can the vast majority of counties. Other counties can do better. Sport science is a pretty much open book. There are club plodders training for marathons that have the same programmes that elite athletes have. You can throw any amount of resources at a plodder and they will still be a plodder - even if an improved plodder.
This Dublin team has lads that are brilliant footballers but many have an exceptional basic athleticism. You can develop that but the natural base has to be there.
Looking at the Olympics you would have to wonder about Kilkenny and decathlon maybe. McCarty just covers the ground effortlessly. McCaffrey too.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 29, 2016, 04:23:27 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 29, 2016, 04:17:32 PM

Let's see how they get on in the 6 nations first.

Will they be able to do without the players they are lending Pittsburgh for the Super Bowl?

Go the Steelers!
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

sid waddell

I'm expecting a really tough game from Carlow this evening.

Jonny Cooper rightly said it would be a tough challenge last October, and he should know what he's talking about.

People wrongly criticise the Leinster championship when they say it's a cakewalk - everybody in Dublin knows that's not the case at all.

Another Leinster title this year is the primary aim and tonight is the first step towards achieving that.

As Jim Gavin says, we're passionate about east coast football.

Carlow had a tremendous win over a very good Wexford team in the preliminary round, playing very direct attacking football.

It'll be a hostile atmosphere in Portlaoise, Carlow have a massive support, the Sky Sports cameras are there and all the ingredients are in place for a shock.

It's up to Dublin now to tear up the script and not let that shock happen.

seafoid

I am surprised Dublin still play Gah in 2017. Surely they have moved on beyond it at this stage. Do they not have a UEFA coefficient or a TV gig in California?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Huge travelling Dublin support today

they must have brought 0.5% of the population down to Portlaoise today

seafoid

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 03, 2017, 09:30:06 PM
Huge travelling Dublin support today

they must have brought 0.5% of the population down to Portlaoise today
To join the other 0.5% who are already accommodated by the State in the town
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Very tough match there this evening.

Carlow were difficult opponents, as predicted, and Dublin were put to the pins of their collective collars to shake them off.

Those in the cheap seats who ridiculed Jonny Cooper last October now have egg on their faces.

Jonny knew.

Carlow will do well in the qualifiers.

Westmeath or Offaly up next and whoever comes through that will also provide a huge challenge.

But Dublin supporters will think about that on Monday.

Time first of all to celebrate a job well done this evening.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2017, 07:00:12 PM
I am surprised Dublin still play Gah in 2017. Surely they have moved on beyond it at this stage. Do they not have a UEFA coefficient or a TV gig in California?
After last year's media war over the Connolly-Keegan battle, we're planning an east coast/west coast gang war with Mayo this year, complete with drive by shootings and all.

Watch out for the Notorious D.U.B.

He's quick on the draw.

East Coast, the coast with the most, yeah.