all ireland championship 2007, odds, outsiders, minor teams etc.

Started by anportmorforjfc, November 13, 2006, 09:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Guillem2

Should you not at least add an opinion yourself before asking others to? By the way, change that daft user name. Out of date after one game FFS!
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

anportmorforjfc

Jack Dempsey

Only 4 teams can win it. Kerry, Dublin,  Tyrone & Mayo. Mayo will need someone else to beat Kerry if they are to lfit Sam.
Hurling wise, Its Kilkenny or Cork. With Kilkenny very strong favourites. Expect good seasons from Tipp and Galway but pretty far behind the cats going on this years form.  I'll plum for the Kilkenny Dublin Double.

ONeill

Well, the last 5 All-Irelands have seen just four teams compete. Kerry (2/4) Tyrone (2/2) Armagh (1/2) and Mayo (0/2). Can any team break this dominance? Well, the Jackeens, despite their obvious failings, do seem to be edging closer to an All-Ireland final. I feel that a change of management will see this happen - a bit like Armagh pre-2002, coupled with a Player-of-the-Year season for Brogan. I cannot envisage a breakthrough from any other teams in Ulster, Connacht and Leinster. I still think there's a big year in Cork.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stephenite

While I agree with O'neill in that there is also a feeling that this Dublin team will win an All Ireland, I cannot on the other hand stop thinking that they are about two other top class forwards short at the moment, another two like Alan Brogan and they'll make it, not sure if there are any coming through the ranks but all it requires is one or two of the exisitng players to step up, maybe Mossy Quinn, how is the younger Brogan brother ( is it Bernard? ) shaping up, saw him play a few times for Plunketts and he looked like a great prospect albeit a bit skinny, will he make it at it Senior Inter county level?

Jack Dempsey

Quote from: stephenite on November 13, 2006, 10:47:37 PM
how is the younger Brogan brother ( is it Bernard? ) shaping up, saw him play a few times for Plunketts and he looked like a great prospect albeit a bit skinny, will he make it at it Senior Inter county level?

Young Brogan and Vaughan have all the potential. We will have to wait and see

stephenite

MacDanger

Needless to say the Galway v Mayo game will have a big bearing on who takes Connacht and the winners of that game will be favourites but the Rossies should be better in the 2nd year under Maughan and will be bouyed by their minor victory this year. Tough draw for Leitrim and it's hard to see sligo doing much, they seem to a team who only starts to play once they hit the qualifiers.

Hard to see past Kerry in Munster although Cork should give them a good run for it they lack a couple of quality forwards. Limerick seem to have missed their chance of winning a Munster title and the rest don't seem to be up to much.

In Leinster, the Dubs will be favorites but have a tough draw which might well stand to them later in the championship. Other than that it's pretty even with a lot of improving "weaker" teams; whether any of them will make the breakthrough this year remains to be seen.

In Ulster Derry look to have been pulled in the easier side of the draw and would hope to make the final while on the other side getting knocked out early might be a blessing in disguise with a trip through the qualifiers maybe easier than a slog through Ulster. Awful hard to predict.

There are still the "big three" in football and with Kerry losing two backs and a manager they could struggle to retain it. Armagh will be hard beat but high mileage could catch up with them if they go all the way to the Ulster final. I'd expect Tyrone to be fresh after last years early exit and I find it hard to see past them for Sam next year. The "open draw" from the Q/F's on will change things this year as well.

Dublin and Cork are a forward or two short; Laois and Galway won't be far off but hard to see them doing it. Donegal don't seem to have the temperment/discipline and you'd expect Mayo to have the same old failings unless JO'M can sort that out in a few months......

Decent bet to be had on Wicklow winning Leinster in the next two years at 20/1 which is not bad considering Micko's recent record in Leinster. 

From a Mayo point of view 14/1 for the all ireland is poor odds at the moment but hopefully they'll have a mediocre league (due to all the weights training!!) and push that price out a bit and might make a good e/w bet. Fermanagh could be a good e/w bet at 16/1 to win Ulster. As always there's short odds on the Jacks, no value to be had at 5/1 for the all ireland but Tyrone aren't bad odds at 9/2.

From a small ball side of things, I really fancy Galway this year with Loughnane at the helm (a poor league will see them move out from 6/1). Doesn't seem to be much other value in the Hurling but Clare might fancy their chances of catching Cork on the hop first day out which would be a good chance for a new winner in Munster.

Apologies for the long post, that's all from my crystal ball for now............

Josey Whales

Can't see beyond dublin in Leinster- louth might surprise a few people.
Galway or Mayo in Connacht-probably mayo
Tyrone or Armagh in Ulster
Kerry or Cork in Munster

As regards the All-Ireland- there are  alot of assumptions about Tyrone the major one being that all their players will return fit and well which remains to be seen. I don't see Armagh doing it. I don't see mayo doing it. Cork haven't enough in my view. Kerry are kerry- they'll be close and to be honest even though they've lost a few there is alaways a few players hanging aorund kerry more so than any other county. As for Dublin if vaughan and bernard brogan come good watch out. I'd give a hesitant vote to kerry.

The hurling will be a walkover for kilkenny in my view. Galway will only have a chance if the Cannings are on board(including Joe). Cork are a little bit too long on the road- need an injection of players to freshen it up. The rest aren't close. An outside punt for the more discerning punter -is the outside bet of dublin being in  a Leinster hurling final. Other than that kilkenny will reign supreme.

Dinny Breen

Dublin should win Leinster at a canter, Meath and Kildare in particular have gone backwards at a massive rate of knots although Offaly might surprise them in the semi. Laois and Westmeath I believe have both missed the boat in terms of progression and really doing something on the All-Ireland stage, would not be surprised to see a Louth, a Wicklow or a Longford in the Leinster final.

Think we might see Roscommon lift Connacht, while Kerry and Tyrone should lift their respective titles....

The All-Ireland at the moment is only between 3 Dublin, Kerry and Tyrone. I think I've enjoyed Dublin's pain too much over the last 12 years so I think 2007 could be there year and if Kildare don't do it I hope a Leinster team does, even the Dubs  :P

The hurling is really just the old firm, Cork or Kilkenny....
#newbridgeornowhere

Barney

Connacht
The winner of Mayo v Galway should dispose of Leitrim especially with a game under their belts. If Ros are to do anything under Maughan this must be the year but Sligo seemed to progress last year and will love the opportunity of a winner takes all tie against the Rossies. At this stage I still feel Mayo are the best of the bunch but we all know what can happen us come the big days!

Ulster
Surely Donegal with home advantage can see of Armagh this time around. Tyrone and Fermanagh will see another big gun slayed. Any of the four could reach the final but you would feel that it should be one of the big two. Will Tyrone have the hunger to come back from this years disappointment. I think they have been such great champions that they will. Derry or Monaghan would be my pick on the other side of the draw. But Tyrone for the cup.

Munster
Cork or Kerry. Kerry or Cork. The Kingdom must find a full-back and a centre-half back. Not easily done. Will Donaghy be found out in year 2? Have Cork the forwards to challenge them? The big question for me is how much was Jack O'Connor holding things together during this year when there was talk of unrest. If there is a lack of hunger and remnants of that unrest they may have a tricky year.

Leinster
Dublin should, Laois could, Louth might, Offaly are in the long grass. Hard to see Kildare do anything. Can Longford make a run of it? Surely they have alot of confidence after last year. I feel the Dubs need to freshen things up, one or two new players, and a rejigging of the selectors. Caffrey and Billings have been there 6 years now. Question marks over the making of big decisions in big games remain.

tayto

Quote from: Jack Dempsey on November 13, 2006, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: stephenite on November 13, 2006, 10:47:37 PM
how is the younger Brogan brother ( is it Bernard? ) shaping up, saw him play a few times for Plunketts and he looked like a great prospect albeit a bit skinny, will he make it at it Senior Inter county level?

Young Brogan and Vaughan have all the potential. We will have to wait and see

I agree that Dulin could do with another top class forward to have a real chance of steping up a level.

Bernard Brogan was told he needed to work on his ball winning last year by the management team, his pace and finishing arent in question and after a year on the panel he's beginning to bulk up a bit. He roasted McNulty to two high balls which he finished very well in the quarter final v NaFianna, both were belters in fact., I'd say he'll get a run in the league.

Vaughan once again looked the real deal for his club until he got injured, he looked dangerious every time he gets the ball. I honestly think he is a more consistent free taker then Mossy, I know he missed those kicks against Mayo but to come off the bench and take a kick like that is almost unfair on the guy. With Crokes out of the club championship nice and early I think he'll get a good run in the league for the frist time.

After that it's young Connolly, but he's very young and needs to be left develop for another couple of years.

We've a problem at 3 imo as well

tayto

Quote from: Barney on November 14, 2006, 08:40:48 AM
Caffrey and Billings have been there 6 years now. Question marks over the making of big decisions in big games remain.

A very valid point!