Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 03:09:23 PM
Jesus I was listening to the off the ball podcast from Monday morning there and it's no wonder the "neutral" hates us when you hear the shite Ger Gilroy comes out with. He'd put Rte to shame with his witty Tyrone bashing. What an utter **** of a man.

but the neutral hates Trone too. no advantage. play on......

omagh_gael

I think we have to find a way of bringing our three main men into the game. Harte and Sludden (M Donnelly to a lesser extent) were on the periphery for too long in the Omagh match. I wonder will Mickey try something a bit left field and have Harte and Sludden hold their positions much further up the field than they usually would.

Dublin have the power and athleticism to go with and surpass our hard running game, so make them do something different. Implement a higher press and push our danger men further up the field. If they get the ball they'll get into dangerous positions quicker than receiving the ball on our own 45m line. We seen the double sweeper effectively abandoned from the get go v Monaghan. Obviously, Dublin are more dangerous in attack but we seen that they are vulnerable when they are pressed higher up. It's a risky approach though as they could blow us away with a goal and a rash of points in the first quarter and we're screwed.

The Golden Years

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 14, 2018, 03:00:21 PM
I think we have to do what Lee Keegan did to Ciaran Kilkenny and tag him everywhere he goes. He is THE big influence on the Dublin team. They are always looking for him as an outlet, he holds possession (sometimes recycling for up to 7 or 8 seconds) and this enables them to get players beyond the ball in attack in numbers. This is crucial to their attacking strategy, getting numbers up to overwhelm you. I am also convinced that this Dublin team does not have the flair up front of previous teams and are very methodical. Mannion, O'Callaghan, Andrews, Scully are not at the level of Connolly, Flynn and Brogans. I think we can get at them if we stop Kilkenny. What do they do if they can't get him on the ball? This stat from last year really spoke volumes about how Mayo were able to push Dublin ..."He had 66 possessions in the semi-final against Tyrone, he was restricted to eight today by Lee Keegan." If we can restrict the supply to him we really disrupt their gameplan and I just think they may not have the class of previous years to adapt as easily.

I think this a strategy Tyrone will have to deploy to win the game. We can not leave Kilkenny unmarked the way we did in the semi final last year and again this year in Omagh.  Everything Dublin do goes through him.  He makes them tick.  Have we a player though of Lee Keegans ability to be able to stick with him and mark him the way Keegan did?  I am not sure we do.

Jayop

I noticed in the firs half on Sunday Harte was at full forward on his own for a while. Then again McKiernan was the furthest man up for a short while too.

Jayop

Quote from: The Golden Years on August 14, 2018, 03:43:07 PM
I think we have to do what Lee Keegan did to Ciaran Kilkenny and tag him everywhere he goes. He is THE big influence on the Dublin team. They are always looking for him as an outlet, he holds possession (sometimes recycling for up to 7 or 8 seconds) and this enables them to get players beyond the ball in attack in numbers. This is crucial to their attacking strategy, getting numbers up to overwhelm you. I am also convinced that this Dublin team does not have the flair up front of previous teams and are very methodical. Mannion, O'Callaghan, Andrews, Scully are not at the level of Connolly, Flynn and Brogans. I think we can get at them if we stop Kilkenny. What do they do if they can't get him on the ball? This stat from last year really spoke volumes about how Mayo were able to push Dublin ..."He had 66 possessions in the semi-final against Tyrone, he was restricted to eight today by Lee Keegan." If we can restrict the supply to him we really disrupt their gameplan and I just think they may not have the class of previous years to adapt as easily.

I think this a strategy Tyrone will have to deploy to win the game. We can not leave Kilkenny unmarked the way we did in the semi final last year and again this year in Omagh.  Everything Dublin do goes through him.  He makes them tick.  Have we a player though of Lee Keegans ability to be able to stick with him and mark him the way Keegan did?  I am not sure we do.

Have to imagine Hamspey will have the job on him given he's been our main man marker this past while.

square_ball

Is meyler a no go for the final? McGeary could be the man to track Kilkenny and leave Hampsey to fight fires elsewhere? One way or the other he'll definitely need man marked.

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Golden Years on August 14, 2018, 03:43:07 PM

We probably don't but if we can improve that stat of 66 times on the ball to 20 or 25 then I'd imagine we'd be in a better position than last year. Hampsey or McGeary would be my men for the job. Possibly taking turns.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: square_ball on August 14, 2018, 03:47:44 PM
Is meyler a no go for the final? McGeary could be the man to track Kilkenny and leave Hampsey to fight fires elsewhere? One way or the other he'll definitely need man marked.

McGerary is a wee bit of a liability in defence, he has great energy but he is prone to fouling and making sloppy mistakes.
That said he could do a number on Kilkenny for a period but Hampsey is the best man for the bulk of the job

square_ball

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 14, 2018, 06:17:09 PM
Quote from: square_ball on August 14, 2018, 03:47:44 PM

McGerary is a wee bit of a liability in defence, he has great energy but he is prone to fouling and making sloppy mistakes.
That said he could do a number on Kilkenny for a period but Hampsey is the best man for the bulk of the job

Think I'd lean towards putting McGeary on to him to start with. Well that's what I'll be suggesting to Mickey when he no doubts picks up the phone to ask my opinion on it.

Club boi

Did Hampsey not do a decent job on Fenton in Omagh. Problem here is Tyrone dont have enough quality to cover all of Dublins danger men

And just when you think you've done your job, on comes another superstar from the bench to run at you

Jayop

Quote from: Club boi on August 14, 2018, 08:13:18 PM
Did Hampsey not do a decent job on Fenton in Omagh. Problem here is Tyrone dont have enough quality to cover all of Dublins danger men

And just when you think you've done your job, on comes another superstar from the bench to run at you

And there is the problem. It's all about choices against Dublin.

Choice 1. Go essentially man to man with 2/3 man markers of the key danger men. Problem here is is someone loses their man you're wide open.
Choice 2. Go full balls out defensive with 14 men back and double sweepers. Problem here is what happened last year, they'll juyst hold the ball, keep moving side to side until one person comes out of cover and they pop over a simple point. The Dubs have all the patience in the world to do this all day long.
Choice 3. Go 2 up, defend the space around the 45 and have Colm play around the D. I think this is the best option as they get most of their scores from the D, but you've no Colm on the edge of the square and goals against will kill us.
Choice 4. Go 4 up. Never going to happen so no problems there.

Personally I think we'll go between 1,2 & 3 on the day at different times. Hopefully we go balls out attack at the start, get a few scores on the board and then get back in shape for 15 minutes then have another run at them before half time. The start of the second half is key and I hope we bring in fresh legs there to stop them doing what they do in that 3rd quarter.

Baile an tuaigh

This a two horse race only one team can win and one of them is Tyrone.  Wouldn't it be nice if the panel could take off work until after the final to get the last bit of fine tuning done. I think sometimes the supporters enjoy this part of the journey more than the players. The pressure these lads are under is huge. Wither it be an injury or someone they know isn't well, girl friend problems these men need to be ready to go to war and their heads need to be right. I remember reading one time Cork took their hurlers to a convent for a few days in Dublin before a final to protect the players from all the commotion that comes with playing in a final. Every advantage must be taken. These things don't happen to often.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on August 14, 2018, 09:55:13 PM
This a two horse race only one team can win and one of them is Tyrone.  Wouldn't it be nice if the panel could take off work until after the final to get the last bit of fine tuning done. I think sometimes the supporters enjoy this part of the journey more than the players. The pressure these lads are under is huge. Wither it be an injury or someone they know isn't well, girl friend problems these men need to be ready to go to war and their heads need to be right. I remember reading one time Cork took their hurlers to a convent for a few days in Dublin before a final to protect the players from all the commotion that comes with playing in a final. Every advantage must be taken. These things don't happen to often.

...and did the Cork hurlers win?????

GetOverTheBar

Dublin's biggest weakness (yes...i know) is a weakness under a high ball onto their full back line - would there be a chance that Tyrone throw Colm Cavanagh up there for periods of the final? It's a potential way through - you lose what he does anchoring the defence but against Dublin in the Super 8 game he was largely rendered irrelevant as Dublin wouldn't actually go through the middle, instead slip down the sides, i.e. Rock pretty much playing out at the corner of goalline/end line.

Would Harte give this a go? I think it's a no go, but a big man in front of Cluxton tends to get him to do strange things like the Comer goal last Saturday - maybe a pity Tyrone don't have a 'big' natural forward.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 15, 2018, 09:39:06 AM
Dublin's biggest weakness (yes...i know) is a weakness under a high ball onto their full back line - would there be a chance that Tyrone throw Colm Cavanagh up there for periods of the final? It's a potential way through - you lose what he does anchoring the defence but against Dublin in the Super 8 game he was largely rendered irrelevant as Dublin wouldn't actually go through the middle, instead slip down the sides, i.e. Rock pretty much playing out at the corner of goalline/end line.

Would Harte give this a go? I think it's a no go, but a big man in front of Cluxton tends to get him to do strange things like the Comer goal last Saturday - maybe a pity Tyrone don't have a 'big' natural forward.

If he wasn't in there holding the middle they'd probably go straight through it. Though maybe anyone in there would be enough to make them avoid it. Either way Colm Cavanagh is such a key part of the defensive set up I don't think he could risk moving him at this stage. We have seen less ball kicked in there as the season has went on and R Donnelly role as ball winner has become less effective. I think I'd start McAliskey and Harte up front with Bradley playing of them. Lee Brennan to come on with 20 minutes to go.