Anyone got Virgin?

Started by Milltown Row2, December 31, 2012, 11:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Looking to change my TV/Broadband/telephone contract. Currently out of contract with Sky (for TV) and Talk Talk (for broadband/phone), Virgin seem to be doing a decent package for £16 a month and after 6 months its £26. Includes broadband, 30MB fibre optic, unlimited downloads, free wireless hub, 80 channels with recorder box, and free weekend calls (who uses their house phone??)

There are other packages but this one would suit i think. Anyone with any experience with these guys?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

The last one was a 17 year old Swedish bird called Antonia.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on December 31, 2012, 11:44:30 AM

I knew the thread title would bring this out!! If she was Swedish I doubt she was a virgin at 17 :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

BF has it in his house.  He turns his box off each night and it takes about 10 mins for it to come to life again the next day which is frustrating. 

The recorder package (Tivo) is ok but not as good as Sky +.  The menus etc aren't as easy to follow.  The movies that you can purchase aren't as good either IMO but that may not be a priority for others.

No problems with wireless.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on December 31, 2012, 11:54:49 AM
BF has it in his house.  He turns his box off each night and it takes about 10 mins for it to come to life again the next day which is frustrating. 

The recorder package (Tivo) is ok but not as good as Sky +.  The menus etc aren't as easy to follow.  The movies that you can purchase aren't as good either IMO but that may not be a priority for others.

Yeah have heard a few stories about the menus being hard to follow at first, not worried about the films as much, would order the odd one every so often.

The price and the wireless would be the ones I'm interested in. With laptops, Iphones, I Touch and Kindle Fires on the go the wireless can play up and I don't even get a go on the Playstation!!

take_yer_points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2012, 12:02:06 PM

Yeah have heard a few stories about the menus being hard to follow at first, not worried about the films as much, would order the odd one every so often.

The price and the wireless would be the ones I'm interested in. With laptops, Iphones, I Touch and Kindle Fires on the go the wireless can play up and I don't even get a go on the Playstation!!

I have the same package as you've been offered other than the TV package being a level above yours. I can't complain - I'd have no bother downloading something, watching TV on the iPad and playing the Xbox simultaneously. The upload speed is 2mb/sec approx as well which is handy if you're going to be uploading anything. The connection drops very rarely.

I don't mind the recording and navigating the menus - I find it handy enough. Their catchup is very good.

They have an app you can use to remote record when you're away from the house and you can use the same app as an extra remote control in the house.

They've made a poor effort at copying skygo - you can only watch channel 5, gold and a few other channels.

I was renewing with them a while back there. They were saying my average Internet usage per month is approx 30GB (I'd say skygo is a big contributor to that) and I've never had any complaints from them about Internet usage

Milltown Row2

Quote from: take_yer_points on December 31, 2012, 12:26:31 PM

I have the same package as you've been offered other than the TV package being a level above yours. I can't complain - I'd have no bother downloading something, watching TV on the iPad and playing the Xbox simultaneously. The upload speed is 2mb/sec approx as well which is handy if you're going to be uploading anything. The connection drops very rarely.

I don't mind the recording and navigating the menus - I find it handy enough. Their catchup is very good.

They have an app you can use to remote record when you're away from the house and you can use the same app as an extra remote control in the house.

They've made a poor effort at copying skygo - you can only watch channel 5, gold and a few other channels.

I was renewing with them a while back there. They were saying my average Internet usage per month is approx 30GB (I'd say skygo is a big contributor to that) and I've never had any complaints from them about Internet usage

Does it have RTE?

ziggy90

I've got Sky+TV, I had Virgin TV before that but Sky have a lot better channels. I've had Virgin's Broadband and Phone Package for years and maybe had to call them once a year to fix something (usually something that I should have been able to do myself). The Son-in-Law reckons our Broadband speed is the fastest he has seen. Being based in Birmingham maybe has something to do with it (nearer a junction box or something) but I'd definitely recommend Virgin's non TV package.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

take_yer_points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2012, 12:28:53 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on December 31, 2012, 12:26:31 PM

Does it have RTE?

Yes, rte1, rte2 and tg4 - no tv3 though and some programmes are blocked out. I have freeview Hd and get all those channels (and 3E, Rte news, etc) from the transmitter in Dundalk

Square Ball

I have had Virgin for years and dont have a problem. we run a PS3 and Xbox, plus Ipods, phones and Laptops, not all at the one time mind you, only have the 2meg but still d/l a film in 10mins.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2012, 11:47:22 AM

I knew the thread title would bring this out!! If she was Swedish I doubt she was a virgin at 17 :o
Pretty sure she was. Wasn't far off being one myself but an auld wan from Longford of all places sorted me out the month before.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

stew

Aye right, she was a virgin.  ::)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on January 01, 2013, 10:58:11 PM
Dont forget Sky can def be negotiated with. Going through cancellations as usual, I got (off the top of my head) - Unlimited Fibre Broadband + Wireless Hub, Sky Entertainment Plus, Landline, Evening & Weekend Calls - £39 a month on a 12 month contract. I was exact same as you - out of Sky TV contract and TalkTalk broadband.

Aye I know when I try and cancel things they will offer loads but I'm paying over £40 quid for Talk Talk and basic Sky channels (with Disney) but lately the Sky has lost signals and over Xmas lost the picture totally for a couple of days, said I'd need to get someone out to fix dish and maybe a new box!! Sorry no can do

Virgin giving me it all for (first 6 months) £16 then after 6 months it's £26 so will give them a bell today and see what I can get