Quote from: The Trap on May 22, 2018, 11:19:44 PM
My best team of last 20 years would be:
Niall Morgan
Ricey Justin McMahon gormley
Peter harte Mattie Donnelly Philip Jordan
Hub Sean cavanagh
Dooher McGuigan joe McMahon
Oneill Canavan mulligan

You have to wonder why harte and Donnelly didn't perform on Sunday as they are 2 superb players......also why did Beggan outshine Morgan?
Because Beggan is a better all round goalkeeper! Your team however I think many would pick Pascal McConnell before Morgan.

The Trap

Morgan has been chosen on the ireland team ahead of Beggan. He has fantastic natural ability but I think we all know the shortcomings he has and these have never been taken out of his game. I think that is poor management of him. He could be a great keeper and that is why I put him in there as the other keepers were steady and reliable but had not as much ability.
I think Mattie and Pete would be fantastic players in that team.

Thebigdog

I don't want to hear anymore crap about how great a player Peter Harte would be on the noughties team, the Dublin team, the Kerry team or any other bloody team. The only team that matters is the Tyrone seniors 2018. A player who in my eyes is not a team leader, a player who goes missing in action more often than not. Anyone who wants to understand why Mickey Harte plays his rigid system it is too purely accommodate his nephew who a don't think would fancy too much man to man  football as has been proven since last August. As the system has been found out, teams simply man mark him. Mickey s nephew is not up to it.  Never will be, and the red card on Sunday was a disgrace.

southtyronegael

Have to agree with thebigdog on this one. For all peter hartes undoubted ability, he goes missing too often in big games. He doesn't seem up for the fight. He wouldn't survive on the 00's team.I'd say the fact that he knows mickey will never sub him isn't helping his performance levels.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: The Trap on May 23, 2018, 04:24:14 AM
Morgan has been chosen on the ireland team ahead of Beggan. He has fantastic natural ability but I think we all know the shortcomings he has and these have never been taken out of his game. I think that is poor management of him. He could be a great keeper and that is why I put him in there as the other keepers were steady and reliable but had not as much ability.
I think Mattie and Pete would be fantastic players in that team.

Beggan was on the Ireland panel  the year Morgan got in, but due to Scotstown being in Ulster Club Final he was unavailable!

outsideoftheboot

Harte receives a lot more abuse off the ball than any other player on the team. He's harassed and bullied and gets no protection from referees or team mates. Referees need to make their helping officials more aware of these sledging matches.

I believe that affected Darren hughes and not beggan when talking about missing the international series due to scotstown championship campaign? although they were later flown out after the first test.

Thebigdog

Quote from: outsideoftheboot on May 23, 2018, 09:22:26 AM
Harte receives a lot more abuse off the ball than any other player on the team. He's harassed and bullied and gets no protection from referees or team mates. Referees need to make their helping officials more aware of these sledging matches.

I believe that affected Darren hughes and not beggan when talking about missing the international series due to scotstown championship campaign? although they were later flown out after the first test.
sledging is part of the game. The noughties team were the masters of it. It should be embraced. As for Peter getting protection from others. Would he protect them? Probably not. It wouldn't surprise me if other players resented Mickey s nephew. I would.

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 22, 2018, 09:41:24 PM
Quote from: skeog on May 22, 2018, 09:29:11 PM
Said Colm would have made the difference going up the home straight with his know how and leadership quality.He said He stands by his comments last week.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0522/965357-colms-presence-was-badly-missed-in-that-tyrone-team/

He didn't seem to acknowledge that Colm was injured and implied it was tactical due to Mickey thinking McClure was a more attacking option. Is he suggesting Colm wasn't injured or is he just purposely trying to be controversial again? It's only a few weeks into the championship and Sean's Eamon Dunphy act is getting tiresome already. He's a big enough name already, he doesn't need the controversy to make it as a pundit.
So last week Mickey was too defensive, this week he should have been more defensive?

However Sean is correct about leadership. Sean always provided it even when not playing well and Colm would have provided it on Sunday.

youhavenofans

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 22, 2018, 05:58:57 PM
Quote from: youhavenofans on May 22, 2018, 05:03:01 PM
Quote from: Quarterback on May 22, 2018, 04:28:45 PM
Lets discuss what YOU would do if you were manager and what players YOUD play with the system you'd implement!

Here is my Team

Alternative Tyrone Team/Tactics

1. Niall Morgan - No Free Kick Duties - Still the best keeper in Tyrone
2. Mick Mc Kernan - The New Ricey
3. HP Mc Geary - Big Strong - Plays 3 for his club - Natural defender
4. Padraig Hampsey - Strong - Mean and a natural defender
5. Toss Up Between P Harte and Mc Cann - Probably Peter Harte given he is a better defender
6. Jonathan Munroe - Strong - Huge Miss to this team - Nasty - Would have developed into another gormley
7. Meyler - Exceptional Engine Has to start - needs to become a nasty bast**d
8. Colm Cavanagh - When Fit a tremendous footballer - play him as a midfielder not a sweeper - release him to get scores
9. Richard Donnelly - potential to get us a few scores and a big engine
10. Niall Sludden - Can Score and work - hard to mark
11. Mark Bradley - Best Forward in Tyrone - Fantastic Movement - Get this man on the ball in our half
12. Frank Burns - Can Kick a score - need men in the half forward line that can score and win their own ball, provide a presence - scores a lot for Pomeroy
13. Conor Mc Aliskey - will only get stronger following knee surgery
14. Mattie Donnelly - we are looking scores and presence in the full forward line - this man would give us another dimension - also wouldn't solo as much and hold play up
15. Lee Brennan - Free Kicks, would get more room if the focus was on Donnelly and Mc Alis

You would have Meyler ahead of Tiernan McCann? I will have what you are smoking..
meyler looked a fair bit ahead on t mc cann on Sunday.

on one game, what has he done better than McCann in the last few years they have both been on the panel?

jb81

Quote from: tyroneman on May 22, 2018, 02:05:47 PM

For Tyrone progression should be QF, then SF, then Final, then AI Win. If he doesn't achieve progress each year (or havea solid reaosn for not doing so) then time for someone else to get involved

So we are on target then???
2016 - QF
2017 - SF
2018 - ??

with 2 Ulster titles as well.

chieftain

Quote from: Thebigdog on May 23, 2018, 09:33:34 AM

sledging is part of the game. The noughties team were the masters of it. It should be embraced. As for Peter getting protection from others. Would he protect them? Probably not. It wouldn't surprise me if other players resented Mickey s nephew. I would.

LOL, you resent him because you couldnt lace his boots?

Thebigdog

Quote from: chieftain on May 23, 2018, 10:09:12 AM
Quote from: Thebigdog on May 23, 2018, 09:33:34 AM

LOL, you resent him because you couldnt lace his boots?
I've been lacing by boots/shoes since I was seven. Pretty sure lacing his boots wouldn't be a problem. What a knob.

tiempo

Quote from: youhavenofans on May 23, 2018, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on May 22, 2018, 05:58:57 PM
Quote from: youhavenofans on May 22, 2018, 05:03:01 PM
Quote from: Quarterback on May 22, 2018, 04:28:45 PM
Lets discuss what YOU would do if you were manager and what players YOUD play with the system you'd implement!

Here is my Team

Alternative Tyrone Team/Tactics

1. Niall Morgan - No Free Kick Duties - Still the best keeper in Tyrone
2. Mick Mc Kernan - The New Ricey
3. HP Mc Geary - Big Strong - Plays 3 for his club - Natural defender
4. Padraig Hampsey - Strong - Mean and a natural defender
5. Toss Up Between P Harte and Mc Cann - Probably Peter Harte given he is a better defender
6. Jonathan Munroe - Strong - Huge Miss to this team - Nasty - Would have developed into another gormley
7. Meyler - Exceptional Engine Has to start - needs to become a nasty bast**d
8. Colm Cavanagh - When Fit a tremendous footballer - play him as a midfielder not a sweeper - release him to get scores
9. Richard Donnelly - potential to get us a few scores and a big engine
10. Niall Sludden - Can Score and work - hard to mark
11. Mark Bradley - Best Forward in Tyrone - Fantastic Movement - Get this man on the ball in our half
12. Frank Burns - Can Kick a score - need men in the half forward line that can score and win their own ball, provide a presence - scores a lot for Pomeroy
13. Conor Mc Aliskey - will only get stronger following knee surgery
14. Mattie Donnelly - we are looking scores and presence in the full forward line - this man would give us another dimension - also wouldn't solo as much and hold play up
15. Lee Brennan - Free Kicks, would get more room if the focus was on Donnelly and Mc Alis

You would have Meyler ahead of Tiernan McCann? I will have what you are smoking..
meyler looked a fair bit ahead on t mc cann on Sunday.

on one game, what has he done better than McCann in the last few years they have both been on the panel?

It was noticeable when Meyler took McCanns jersey for the last few league games the team looked a lot more cohesive and got results, that much has already been mentioned on here. McCann has been a mainstay of the team for a number of years and while admittedly he is a very good athlete his football nous has been called into question a few times, I tend to agree with that, he's a GAA athlete as they say and Mickey has fallen for this nonsense in recent years tending to prefer players with great GPS metrics and overlooking other parts of their game.

Its worth mentioning too that Mickey has frozen Meyler out at times over the last couple of years and reduced him to the role of training ground fodder when he should have been much closer to the team, if not starting.

southtyronegael

Meyler is a fab footballer. He gave a smashing, diagonal pass all of 40 metres into Brennan I think it was.something I've never seen t mc cann do.

sensethetone

I would have preferred a half back line of Meyler, Burns and K McGeary.