Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

I am on record in serveral places on this board saying that RM is entitled to choose to play for what ever country he feels happy with. I have no particular problem with him as a British Citizen wrapping the Union Flag around him. I do have issues with the unoffcial Ulster Flag being portrayed as a Flag that represents the broad spectrum of opinion in NI. It is a devisive loyalist emblem. That is my beef, and one I am quite entitled to have. The comment about designated days was to illustrate context as much as any thing.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on January 11, 2013, 01:53:06 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2013, 01:32:01 PM
Quote from: Olaf on January 10, 2013, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2013, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: Olaf on January 09, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2013, 11:11:04 AM
I have no problem with McIlroy playing for GB if that is his wish, I have said he has the right to choose. He does however come from a nationalist catholic community which for years suffered discrimination and violence in the name of said Ulster Flag. His own uncle was shot in its name. That is the issue and Heganboy whether you like it or not it is an issue for many people in much the same way the tricolour is for the unionist community. I would prefer to see all flags taken out of sport where identities are divided. The proliferation of Ulster Flags in 1999 was due in large part to the DUP who handed them out free. Ulster Rugby actually plays under the old 9 County Flag which predates partition.
I think that you do have problem with him playing for GB (if that be his wish)

He was obviously brought up by parents in a difficult and  divided society who ensured that he mixed with both ussuns and themmuns through his schooling etc. That upbringing has evidently manifested itself in a fairly mature and rounded adult ideal for 21st Century NI.

The only flag that "Ulster Rugby" have any association with is the one with their logo printed on it.

DUP handing out free  flags in '99??  You're having a laugh. I got mine in Dublin. ;)
You are quite wrong their, yes as with the other provinces the Ulster Team has a badge which they have put on flags, check the Ulster Branch Website which is the controlling body for Ulster Rugby. And yes you may have got yours in Dublin but the DUP quite proudly advertised that they were giving them out.

The team that plays at Ravenhill does not represent the old province of Ulster - it is a club  like all others in professional rugby.  That said it obviously has a connection to this part of the world (and other parts) hence the variety of colourful flags on show which I must say makes it a bit of a spectacle and which I quite like. What goes on the pitch is more important though .

Rory likes the rugby too doesn't he . Maybe the diversity attracts him as well as a feeling of connection to the team.

I get the feeling that , ulike yourself , the only flags that he is really concerned with are those positioned on the short grass.
Absolute bullshit, what you are saying would make the NI flag irrelevant. It plays Rugby Union, draws its players from Ulster Clubs (and abroad too) but this is all regulated by the Ulster Branch of the IRFU. You OWC revisionism does not stand the test.

Relevant to the extent that a large number of the players were born and  brought up in NI.

Ulster flags , NI flags , Saffa flags, St Patrick flags ,Rising Sun flags - relevant or not still make for a colourful spectacle. Pity you can't enjoy it.
Actually I can and do enjoy it, on a point of principle though I would prefer to see tricolours/ni flags and other divisive flags left at home. But unfortunately that is not the society in which we live.

heganboy

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2013, 03:54:57 PM
I am on record in serveral places on this board saying that RM is entitled to choose to play for what ever country he feels happy with. I have no particular problem with him as a British Citizen wrapping the Union Flag around him. I do have issues with the unoffcial Ulster Flag being portrayed as a Flag that represents the broad spectrum of opinion in NI. It is a devisive loyalist emblem. That is my beef, and one I am quite entitled to have. The comment about designated days was to illustrate context as much as any thing.

Rory has told both the European and US PGAs that he is more comfortable with being designated as "Northern Irish" than British or Irish and as a result that is how he as well as a few others are referenced in their literature, website and tv coverage.

With that in mind, how would such a sensitive, entitled, issue laden soul such as yourself suggest as his course of action given your strong (and yet completely selective) views on equality and freedom of choice? And what flag would you allow him to express his freedom of choice on the matter without you having a beef or a "particular" problem? what design and colour of piece of fabric in "particular" would you allow to have draped around his shoulders after hitting golf balls(probably only on designated days) that would constitute Rory reaching a "worthy compromise" with you?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2013, 03:58:23 PM
Quote from: Olaf on January 11, 2013, 01:53:06 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2013, 01:32:01 PM
Quote from: Olaf on January 10, 2013, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2013, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: Olaf on January 09, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2013, 11:11:04 AM
I have no problem with McIlroy playing for GB if that is his wish, I have said he has the right to choose. He does however come from a nationalist catholic community which for years suffered discrimination and violence in the name of said Ulster Flag. His own uncle was shot in its name. That is the issue and Heganboy whether you like it or not it is an issue for many people in much the same way the tricolour is for the unionist community. I would prefer to see all flags taken out of sport where identities are divided. The proliferation of Ulster Flags in 1999 was due in large part to the DUP who handed them out free. Ulster Rugby actually plays under the old 9 County Flag which predates partition.
I think that you do have problem with him playing for GB (if that be his wish)

He was obviously brought up by parents in a difficult and  divided society who ensured that he mixed with both ussuns and themmuns through his schooling etc. That upbringing has evidently manifested itself in a fairly mature and rounded adult ideal for 21st Century NI.

The only flag that "Ulster Rugby" have any association with is the one with their logo printed on it.

DUP handing out free  flags in '99??  You're having a laugh. I got mine in Dublin. ;)
You are quite wrong their, yes as with the other provinces the Ulster Team has a badge which they have put on flags, check the Ulster Branch Website which is the controlling body for Ulster Rugby. And yes you may have got yours in Dublin but the DUP quite proudly advertised that they were giving them out.

The team that plays at Ravenhill does not represent the old province of Ulster - it is a club  like all others in professional rugby.  That said it obviously has a connection to this part of the world (and other parts) hence the variety of colourful flags on show which I must say makes it a bit of a spectacle and which I quite like. What goes on the pitch is more important though .

Rory likes the rugby too doesn't he . Maybe the diversity attracts him as well as a feeling of connection to the team.

I get the feeling that , ulike yourself , the only flags that he is really concerned with are those positioned on the short grass.
Absolute bullshit, what you are saying would make the NI flag irrelevant. It plays Rugby Union, draws its players from Ulster Clubs (and abroad too) but this is all regulated by the Ulster Branch of the IRFU. You OWC revisionism does not stand the test.

Relevant to the extent that a large number of the players were born and  brought up in NI.

Ulster flags , NI flags , Saffa flags, St Patrick flags ,Rising Sun flags - relevant or not still make for a colourful spectacle. Pity you can't enjoy it.
Actually I can and do enjoy it, on a point of principle though I would prefer to see tricolours/ni flags and other divisive flags left at home. But unfortunately that is not the society in which we live.

Get yourself down early to both Ravenhill and the Aviva on match days then . You'll have a lot of collecting to do at the gate.  ;)

Thousands upon thousands of Unionists from north of the border have flocked to Landsdowne/Aviva over the years and have been surrounded by tri-colours. However most  if not all of them have been more concerned with what happens on the pitch after the ref blows his whistle.

Anyway back to Rory ....I'm more concerned with what he does on the green stuff too.

Applesisapples

Quote from: heganboy on January 11, 2013, 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2013, 03:54:57 PM

Rory has told both the European and US PGAs that he is more comfortable with being designated as "Northern Irish" than British or Irish and as a result that is how he as well as a few others are referenced in their literature, website and tv coverage.

With that in mind, how would such a sensitive, entitled, issue laden soul such as yourself suggest as his course of action given your strong (and yet completely selective) views on equality and freedom of choice? And what flag would you allow him to express his freedom of choice on the matter without you having a beef or a "particular" problem? what design and colour of piece of fabric in "particular" would you allow to have draped around his shoulders after hitting golf balls(probably only on designated days) that would constitute Rory reaching a "worthy compromise" with you?
We keep being told that we need a shared future. The use of the Loyalist Flag is erroneous if McIlroy wants to be depicted as Northern Irish that is of no concern to me. I am simply pointing out that the use of this flag is not inclusive. Why personalize many nationalist take issue with this flag.

Tony Baloney

I believe young Ruairi is being officially getting his 100 million dollar Nike sponsorship cheque in Abu Dhabi today so I would say this is pretty far from his mind!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 14, 2013, 02:18:38 PM
I believe young Ruairi is being officially getting his 100 million dollar Nike sponsorship cheque in Abu Dhabi today so I would say this is pretty far from his mind!

$50,000 a day it works out, some dough all the same. He'd be ripping at the comments made here alright :o

Stephen Watson was asked the question this morning on Radio Ulster why Nike wanted Rory, the fool said because they were looking someone cool!! Rory at the minute is the best in the world at Golf, number one. But if you were thinking of someone cool, then Rory wouldn't be the first thing that would spring to mind, Watson is such a brown nose that he almost makes me sick listening to his commentry
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2013, 03:05:20 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 14, 2013, 02:18:38 PM

$50,000 a day it works out, some dough all the same. He'd be ripping at the comments made here alright :o

Stephen Watson was asked the question this morning on Radio Ulster why Nike wanted Rory, the fool said because they were looking someone cool!! Rory at the minute is the best in the world at Golf, number one. But if you were thinking of someone cool, then Rory wouldn't be the first thing that would spring to mind, Watson is such a brown nose that he almost makes me sick listening to his commentry

Golf cool and General cool would be very different. You have to think about who plays golf round the world, particularly in the states and in the Far East, its a whole different cool. Nike see Rory as a young, exciting talent, travels the world, dresses smart, pin-up tennis playing girlfriend, thats mega cool on the golfing world.

heganboy

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 14, 2013, 02:04:44 PM

We keep being told that we need a shared future. The use of the Loyalist Flag is erroneous if McIlroy wants to be depicted as Northern Irish that is of no concern to me. I am simply pointing out that the use of this flag is not inclusive. Why personalize many nationalist take issue with this flag.
so what are you suggesting? he is declaring Northern Irish to avoid declaring British or Irish, its as close to middle of the road as he can get. Maybe he should just have a big swoosh, or maybe you should be managing all fleg negotiations on his behalf

heganboy

rory and tiger's new Nike ad

http://youtu.be/2NCDYjHtEcU

Dude is that your real hair?

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Declan

Word on the fairways is that Rory is struggling with the new driver - up to 35 yards shorter than before >:( >:(

No problems with irons apparently  but the big dog is worrying

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2013, 04:13:52 PM
Quote from: heganboy on January 14, 2013, 03:55:11 PM
rory and tiger's new Nike ad

http://youtu.be/2NCDYjHtEcU

Dude is that your real hair?

Good ad

Nice bit of schtick work there from Tiger.  Bit of U21 experience from what I hear.

Puckoon

That commercial is fun to watch - enjoyed the comments underneath, particularly

"Notice Rory is the one wearing Red"

and

"2 guys, 1 cup".

thebigfella

Quote from: Declan on January 14, 2013, 04:59:30 PM
Word on the fairways is that Rory is struggling with the new driver - up to 35 yards shorter than before >:( >:(

No problems with irons apparently  but the big dog is worrying

Heard different myself, apparently his ball speed has increased to over 180mph (with the titleist 913, he was around the 175mph mark).

People seem to forget that he changed his driver last year to the 913D3 prototype, certainly had no issues then and there is certainly no reason to think he'll struggle with Nike. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with the new ball though.