Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

I wonder might McIllroy just not bother.
Is it worth it for him, the analysis and bitterness he will get no matter what he chooses.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nifan on October 09, 2012, 02:19:25 PM
Is it worth it for him, the analysis and bitterness he will get no matter what he chooses.

He'll not worry what a bunch of bigots really think, as if he's reading this lol. Probably counting his money and watching tennis :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Usually it's the other way around. The most recognisable face carries the flag because they are the most recognisable face. It doesn't make them such.

Look at all the basketballers that play in the NBA and carry the flag for their countries. They are not reconisable because they carry the flag, they carry the flag because they are recognisable.

Anyway, if this is not a joke, then it's a joke. If you know what I mean :D

nifan

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 09, 2012, 02:22:48 PM
Usually it's the other way around. The most recognisable face carries the flag because they are the most recognisable face. It doesn't make them such.

Actually I dont think they even tend to do that.
Outside of Jamaica I dont know how many teams had their most recognisable face out front.
USA - the largest team - had Mariel Zagunis. Could have had a basketball player - lebron for example-  or serena williams or even phelps

UK had Chris Hoy

nifan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2012, 02:21:57 PM
Quote from: nifan on October 09, 2012, 02:19:25 PM

He'll not worry what a bunch of bigots really think, as if he's reading this lol. Probably counting his money and watching tennis :o

Obviously individual comments on here arent going to affect him, but the overall arc of things migh annoy him sufficiently.
His statement after the last comments was:
"Having just won three of my last four tournaments, including a second Major championship, I was hoping that my success on the golf course would be the more popular topic of golfing conversation today. "

ie hes got better things to be at than listening to gurning

AZOffaly

USA tend not to do it that way, I'd imagine egos play a part there. But look at China, Serbia, Russia, Ireland, etc etc. I'd say a lot of countries go with their best, or most recognisable, athlete. And I'm not just talking about this year. I also think Chris Hoy would be a fairly recognisable figure, not to mention Usain Bolt.

People's Republic of China (CHN)    Yi Jianlian    Basketball
Russian Federation (RUS)    Maria Sharapova    Tennis
Serbia (SRB)    Novak Djokovic    Tennis
South Africa (RSA)    Caster Semenya   Athletics
Spain (ESP)    Pau Gasol    Basketball

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2012, 03:49:51 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 06, 2012, 03:34:51 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 06, 2012, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: Olaf on October 05, 2012, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 05, 2012, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: nifan on October 04, 2012, 05:02:32 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 04:22:40 PM
People will always make unreasonable associations. The tricolour is the flag of all the Irish people and does not belong to the IRA.

The NI flag dissent belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

The importance of legal status seems to vary wildly with some people.
Ehhh I consider myself northern Irish, and I don't associate with it.

But not Northern Irish? The flag is associated with people who see themselves as residing in  Northern Ireland. I presume that you don't?
No I reside in the north of Ireland, Co Armagh to be precise.
You must have been good at Geography at school.
Yes and History too, Northern Ireland has always been and always will remain and artificially contrived statelet formed by Unionist Rebels and their British masters. I reserve the right to dissent from such an undemocratic action.

History you were good at? Well we were dumped by the nation you want to be part of!!! Did you learn that in history?
A bit simplistic there Milltown.

Applesisapples

McIlroy is a tool in my humble opinion, he has caused the flag furore for himself. Personally I don't care which team he declares for. Golf like professional tennis has no place in the Olympics.

ziggysego

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 09, 2012, 03:09:41 PM
McIlroy is a tool in my humble opinion, he has caused the flag furore for himself. Personally I don't care which team he declares for. Golf like professional tennis has no place in the Olympics.

How?
Testing Accessibility

Orior

And finally on the golfing front, Rory has had a shit round in Turkey.

Worst web page ever:-

http://turkishairlinesworldfinal.com/livescoring/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 09, 2012, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2012, 03:49:51 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 06, 2012, 03:34:51 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 06, 2012, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: Olaf on October 05, 2012, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 05, 2012, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: nifan on October 04, 2012, 05:02:32 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 04:22:40 PM
People will always make unreasonable associations. The tricolour is the flag of all the Irish people and does not belong to the IRA.

The NI flag dissent belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

The importance of legal status seems to vary wildly with some people.
Ehhh I consider myself northern Irish, and I don't associate with it.

But not Northern Irish? The flag is associated with people who see themselves as residing in  Northern Ireland. I presume that you don't?
No I reside in the north of Ireland, Co Armagh to be precise.
You must have been good at Geography at school.
Yes and History too, Northern Ireland has always been and always will remain and artificially contrived statelet formed by Unionist Rebels and their British masters. I reserve the right to dissent from such an undemocratic action.

History you were good at? Well we were dumped by the nation you want to be part of!!! Did you learn that in history?
A bit simplistic there Milltown.

Oh? Did I miss something?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

Are you kidding me? he cant win no matter what he does, this was an issue the minute he got famous, he has rightly avoided the issue for as long as he can and this, frankly is on people like you who no matter what he does, he can't win.

What has he done to be called a tool? he seems like a good kid and his family seem like good people, he was never going to win in the north, sadly there is too much divisiveness in the wee six yet, it will take generations before people lose the bigotry and stupidity.

Apples, are you one of these lads  footballer who love it when the north lose a nordie to the ROI? if so how do you like those apples! :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Not too interested in the flag thing, lets face it he doesnt feel Irish, we shouldnt beg him. Aside from the flag thing I just cant take to him, and anyhow I think its a joke that golf is even in the olympics! football and tennis should be thrown out too

Milltown Row2

So If he was drapped in the tricolour and went to all the Down games he's be more popular? Though maybe not in Armagh :o

Olaf

Are you sure?