Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: Olaf on October 05, 2012, 09:55:48 AM
Rory...great golfer .

Any relation to Sammy?

Don't think so, not sure Sammy would pass the dress code at most clubs!

Bugsy

Quote from: stew on October 05, 2012, 02:35:42 PM
Orior, we have already sold our souls, the GAA allowed soccer and Rugby to be played on Croke Park soil, the butchers apron was displayed for all to see.

If some of you who are worried about the NI fleg, (whatever norn Ireland is) then take a stand and dont ever show up at HQ again, never mind, you should have done that the second GSTQ was played at Croke Park.

Fcuk all flags, and that includes the tri color, all they are in our wee piece of the world are divisive and I have more to worry about than McIlroy and a couple of flags.

One last thing, I would not give a shit if some eejits took NI flags to an Armagh game, it would mean that the GAA were making inroads into 50% of the population that don't support our games.

Good post. When it goes beyond a fun filing system it's gone too far.

Always think of this when i hear about pride in the flag :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTF-5EvjHJQ

fitzroyalty

Quote from: nifan on October 05, 2012, 03:46:58 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 05, 2012, 02:32:24 PM
I'd agree with this. The Ulster Banner is nothing more than a modified English flag, in fact I'd say it represents England more than it represents anything Irish. What annoys me is this rag is still used as the de facto flag for the North despite it having no status whatsoever. Not surprising then when I see this flag I immediately think of lamp posts because 9/10 that's where one is most likely to see one.

The ulster banner is a modified Ulster flag as far as im aware - background colour changed - i dont think it is the st george cross.

Why does the fact it has no staus bother you so much? Does it bother you when people use the ulster flag?
I was always under the impression it was based on English flag, surely can be forgiven for thinking so because that's essentially what it is anyway.

As for the Ulster flag, I have no issue with it. I know you're going to say 'what's the difference, neither flag is official?'..
The difference is the Ulster flag is not a loyalist symbol.

nifan

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 05, 2012, 04:56:30 PM
I'd agree with this. The Ulster Banner is nothing more than a modified English flag, in fact I'd say it represents England more than it represents anything Irish. What annoys me is this rag is still used as the de facto flag for the North despite it having no status whatsoever. Not surprising then when I see this flag I immediately think of lamp posts because 9/10 that's where one is most likely to see one.

The ulster banner is a modified Ulster flag as far as im aware - background colour changed - i dont think it is the st george cross.

Why does the fact it has no staus bother you so much? Does it bother you when people use the ulster flag?
I was always under the impression it was based on English flag, surely can be forgiven for thinking so because that's essentially what it is anyway.

As for the Ulster flag, I have no issue with it. I know you're going to say 'what's the difference, neither flag is official?'..

So the official status of a flag doesnt bother you - so why bang on about it. If you dont like the ni flag thats your choice, but moaning when other people have an affinity is pointless.

You yourself talking about the rugby said:
QuoteUnionists who have nothing better to do than whinge over a flag and anthem get over themselves..and maybe for once be accommodating and tolerant.
and
QuoteTo be honest anyone getting hung up about what flag is being flown clearly isn't there for the rugby. Who gives a rat's arse.

but don't seem to practice what you preach

fitzroyalty

What
Quote from: nifan on October 05, 2012, 05:26:01 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 05, 2012, 04:56:30 PM

So the official status of a flag doesnt bother you - so why bang on about it. If you dont like the ni flag thats your choice, but moaning when other people have an affinity is pointless.

You yourself talking about the rugby said:
QuoteUnionists who have nothing better to do than whinge over a flag and anthem get over themselves..and maybe for once be accommodating and tolerant.
and
QuoteTo be honest anyone getting hung up about what flag is being flown clearly isn't there for the rugby. Who gives a rat's arse.

but don't seem to practice what you preach
The official status does annoy me because there is no flag for NI - yet that flag gets treated like it is the official one. It should be confined to the dustbin and properly made redundant. Let the loyalists keep it.

Yes I have fairly changed my tune but let's just say that was before I experienced first hand some antics from some of the people who would claim 'affinity' with the flag in question. Why should I tolerate a Loyalist symbol?

nifan

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 05, 2012, 05:57:56 PM
Yes I have fairly changed my tune but let's just say that was before I experienced first hand some antics from some of the people who would claim 'affinity' with the flag in question. Why should I tolerate a Loyalist symbol?

You know not everyone who has this affinity to the flag is up to "antics" right? And that they arent even all loyalists - unless your definition of loyalist is different than mine.

Why should you tolerate it? For the same reason people should "tolerate" the tricolour. Because even if you dont agree with it or like it, many people feel like it represents them/where they are from. As long as they let you live your life you should just get over it

dec

fitzroyalty

Quote from: nifan on October 05, 2012, 06:21:19 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 05, 2012, 05:57:56 PM

You know not everyone who has this affinity to the flag is up to "antics" right? And that they arent even all loyalists - unless your definition of loyalist is different than mine.

Why should you tolerate it? For the same reason people should "tolerate" the tricolour. Because even if you dont agree with it or like it, many people feel like it represents them/where they are from. As long as they let you live your life you should just get over it
I know fine well they don't. But this flag is defunct, nor is it representative of the people in the jurisdiction it's meant to repesent.

The tricolour is the internationally recognised flag of the Rep of Ireland, so in that sense it does not compare to the defunct loyalist flag. Why people are happy to settle for this flag to represent NI and people like me get ridiculed for questioning that is beyond me.

nifan

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 06, 2012, 12:16:58 AM
I know fine well they don't. But this flag is defunct, nor is it representative of the people in the jurisdiction it's meant to repesent.

The tricolour is the internationally recognised flag of the Rep of Ireland, so in that sense it does not compare to the defunct loyalist flag. Why people are happy to settle for this flag to represent NI and people like me get ridiculed for questioning that is beyond me.

The tricolour does not legally represent NI, or all of the people there in. Do you agree with he people who have a fit at the sight of a tricolour flying anywhere? Does it upset you to see it at GAA games?

Not everyone may be happy it represents NI - plenty of them dont acknowledge NI at all in fact - but many do. Assuming that anyone, like mcillroy, who does is simply trying to politicise things is ridiculous.

It is not a loyalist flag - i am not a loyalist, mcillroy i doubt is a loyalist.

You can question it, but a little bit of effort at the tolerance you have expected from others in the past wouldnt go amiss.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: nifan on October 06, 2012, 09:02:06 AM

The tricolour does not legally represent NI, or all of the people there in. Do you agree with he people who have a fit at the sight of a tricolour flying anywhere? Does it upset you to see it at GAA games?

Not everyone may be happy it represents NI - plenty of them dont acknowledge NI at all in fact - but many do. Assuming that anyone, like mcillroy, who does is simply trying to politicise things is ridiculous.

It is not a loyalist flag - i am not a loyalist, mcillroy i doubt is a loyalist.

You can question it, but a little bit of effort at the tolerance you have expected from others in the past wouldnt go amiss.
Yes I do because a lot of the time the tricolour will be flown from a lamp post which annoys me, it shouldn't be. The GAA is an Irish organisation with it's HQ in Dublin, the capital of the jurisdiction with which the tricolour represents so it is only natural that it uses that flag... but for the record I don't see the need for it to be flown at matches.

Just because you aren't a Loyalist and Rory McIlroy isn't a Loyalist that does not hide the Loyalist trappings associated with that flag. The reality is the only time outside of a few sporting events that anyone will see that flag is in Loyalist ghettos. 

If you can't admit that the flag is unrepresentative of all people in the North and that it should be changed then that's your problem.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on October 05, 2012, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 05, 2012, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: nifan on October 04, 2012, 05:02:32 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 04:22:40 PM
People will always make unreasonable associations. The tricolour is the flag of all the Irish people and does not belong to the IRA.

The NI flag doesnt belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

The importance of legal status seems to vary wildly with some people.
Ehhh I consider myself northern Irish, and I don't associate with it.

But not Northern Irish? The flag is associated with people who see themselves as residing in  Northern Ireland. I presume that you don't?
No I reside in the north of Ireland, Co Armagh to be precise.

Applesisapples

Quote from: nifan on October 06, 2012, 09:02:06 AM

Sorry but it is a tainted one sided loyalist rag.

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 06, 2012, 11:25:17 AM
People will always make unreasonable associations. The tricolour is the flag of all the Irish people and does not belong to the IRA.

The NI flag doesnt belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

But not Northern Irish? The flag is associated with people who see themselves as residing in  Northern Ireland. I presume that you don't?
You must have been good at Geography at school.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on October 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM

The NI flag dissent belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

Yes and History too, Northern Ireland has always been and always will remain and artificially contrived statelet formed by Unionist Rebels and their British masters. I reserve the right to dissent from such an undemocratic action.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 06, 2012, 03:34:51 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM

The NI flag dissent belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

Yes and History too, Northern Ireland has always been and always will remain and artificially contrived statelet formed by Unionist Rebels and their British masters. I reserve the right to dissent from such an undemocratic action.

History you were good at? Well we were dumped by the nation you want to be part of!!! Did you learn that in history?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea