Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on October 03, 2012, 06:11:48 PM
Coming from same fella who was disgusted to hear Marty Clarke wrote "NI" on his arm during his first spell in Oz.

He puts no value on the backing the "Irish Golfing Union" gave him? How do you know that? Did you overhear him laughing about it with his mates in the pub or something? When he had to rely on mammy and daddy? You mean when he was a child? Heaven forbid.

What are his "true colours"? McIlroy can identify himself whatever hell the way he likes. It's not up to the likes of you to condemn him for it.

Out of interest, as the GUI is a 32 county body, what are its sources of funding?
Not rorys pockets anyway, i can have any opinion i want, this marty clarke thing will never be forgotten, I said that about marty clarke about 3/4 yrs ago, i barely even remember saying it, i will never recognised the North as ni, so if that offends you deal with it. I am allowed to NOT like rory mcilroy. I did not like him long before his allegiances were made public.

Stew i believe the Irish soccer team should be all Ireland but if you think that relavent to me not liking rory your way off. Seriously though are people not allowed to not like rory mcilroy?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2012, 01:51:19 PM
McIlroy can't fail to know and understand what the "Ulster Flag" means and signifys to nationalists. it is the flag of choice of loyalist death gangs, one of which killed his uncle. So when he wraps himself in it he would also understand that many nationalists and republicans see it as him firmly nailing his colours to the mast. McGuigan wisely avoided flags.
It is not solely the flag of loyalist death gangs, it is also the flag of many normal, law-abiding people from Northern Ireland / the six counties etc etc.  By the same extension, given that the tricolour was the flag of choice for Irish Republican terrorists, does this flag also not have negative connotations?

rosnarun

my poiont is simple if he wants to play for England (they can call themselves what the like they all bow the knee to lizzy windsor ) then let the english cheer for him and the irish will  cheer for mcginley harrington and lowry.
but just let him choose you cant run with the hare and hunt with the hounds all your life
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stew

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 03, 2012, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 03, 2012, 06:11:48 PM
Coming from same fella who was disgusted to hear Marty Clarke wrote "NI" on his arm during his first spell in Oz.

He puts no value on the backing the "Irish Golfing Union" gave him? How do you know that? Did you overhear him laughing about it with his mates in the pub or something? When he had to rely on mammy and daddy? You mean when he was a child? Heaven forbid.

What are his "true colours"? McIlroy can identify himself whatever hell the way he likes. It's not up to the likes of you to condemn him for it.

Out of interest, as the GUI is a 32 county body, what are its sources of funding?
Not rorys pockets anyway, i can have any opinion i want, this marty clarke thing will never be forgotten, I said that about marty clarke about 3/4 yrs ago, i barely even remember saying it, i will never recognised the North as ni, so if that offends you deal with it. I am allowed to NOT like rory mcilroy. I did not like him long before his allegiances were made public.

Stew i believe the Irish soccer team should be all Ireland but if you think that relavent to me not liking rory your way off. Seriously though are people not allowed to not like rory mcilroy?

I was making an analogy sligonian, you are of course allowed to not like him, I think he is a good young man and I respect and pull for him, you don't, fair enough.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Leo

Quote from: rosnarun on October 03, 2012, 11:35:05 PM
my poiont is simple if he wants to play for England (they can call themselves what the like they all bow the knee to lizzy windsor ) then let the english cheer for him and the irish will  cheer for mcginley harrington and lowry.
but just let him choose you cant run with the hare and hunt with the hounds all your life

The Dublin fella who was good enough at cricket to play for England - Morgan I think - was never subjected to this insular sectarain abuse. Did Jennings, O'Neill or Donaghy ever get this reicule for playing for Norn Irn? By the way, the reason there is not a unified Ireland soccer team is because the Dublin crowd decided on partition that they wanted their own wee Irish team and left the IFA - not the other wayround. So the IFA ise really the continuity FAI.
Fierce tame altogether

dec

Quote from: Leo on October 04, 2012, 01:31:03 AMDid Jennings, O'Neill or Donaghy ever get this reicule for playing for Norn Irn?

Just from the "fans" at Windsor Park.

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on October 03, 2012, 03:26:14 PM
I don't see why people are going so far out of their way to be offended. He seems like a modest enough kid who is the worlds best at a sport. Whether he's Irish/Northern Irish can we not just celebrate that fact rather than stick a label on him and say "he's one of themmuns I don't like him"

It's the 21st Century surely we can just be happy that somebody from this island is making it on the world stage!!
Yes I can't disagree with this, however some of have buried friends and relatives killed by loyalists and this flag is blood stained and exclusive. he has every right to be British, that doesn't bother me but the flag is salt in open wounds. He doesn't need to wrap it around himself.

armaghniac

QuoteThe Dublin fella who was good enough at cricket to play for England - Morgan I think - was never subjected to this insular sectarain abuse

That's because nobody has ever heard of him. And as for " insular sectarain abuse" there is nothing sectarian about asking a sportperson to represent Ireland. The place is bad enough without people trying to split sporting teams.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2012, 04:38:00 PM
McIlroy can't fail to know and understand what the "Ulster Flag" means and signifys to nationalists. it is the flag of choice of loyalist death gangs, one of which killed his uncle. So when he wraps himself in it he would also understand that many nationalists and republicans see it as him firmly nailing his colours to the mast. McGuigan wisely avoided flags.

So by your logic he is endorsing those murdering scumbags? And if he draped himself in a tri-colour............

That's unlikely, but I would suggest that flags should be left out of sport, where they divide or an inclusive flag or symbol if appropriate.

Applesisapples

Quote from: oisinog on October 03, 2012, 04:48:19 PM
At the end of the day this young fella is doing something he loved he is helping to generate a lot of income into the irish economy as there is people coming from all over the word to play on the gold courses in Ireland that he did.

I'm not a massive fan or Rory McIlroy but I would follow him to see how he is getting on.

Its typical of this board that everything comes down to politics and its a joke that we cant celebrate one of the best come backs ever in sport with out people spouting crap about flags.

Some people on here need to get a life
Sure it's all good debate, if you don't like it don't get involved in the discussion.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on October 03, 2012, 07:41:59 PM
It is not solely the flag of loyalist death gangs, it is also the flag of many normal, law-abiding people from Northern Ireland / the six counties etc etc.  By the same extension, given that the tricolour was the flag of choice for Irish Republican terrorists, does this flag also not have negative connotations?
Itis a partisan unoffcial flag that is not inclusive.

AQMP

Quote from: oisinog on October 03, 2012, 04:48:19 PM
At the end of the day this young fella is doing something he loved he is helping to generate a lot of income into the irish economy as there is people coming from all over the word to play on the gold courses in Ireland that he did.

Some people on here need to get a life

That must be why the Lough Erne Golf Resort is in administration and is up for sale for £10mill (that's a fecking bargain by the way for anyone who has a spare £10mill).

When anyone posts on this board it is taken as read that they need to get a life!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 04, 2012, 10:14:36 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2012, 04:38:00 PM

So by your logic he is endorsing those murdering scumbags? And if he draped himself in a tri-colour............

That's unlikely, but I would suggest that flags should be left out of sport, where they divide or an inclusive flag or symbol if appropriate.

But if he wore a tri colour you'd be happy?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

naka

who really cares about Rory,
as far as I am concerned I had more pleasure watiching his uncle playing for the orchard county than ever watching him.