Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Quote from: Bronco on October 05, 2020, 11:06:56 PM
Dry your eyes.

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 05, 2020, 08:54:21 PM
So the u12 team looking forward to their championship Final don't get playing it b cos adults can't behave ! Blanket bans are lazy and punish the Innocent
Bronco why do you give out about "unprovoked abuse" on the Man Utd thread and then engage in unprovoked abuse on this thread?

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2020, 11:01:27 PM
What's the alternative? Play it off once the ban ceases? I wouldn't put the blame of the crisis at the door of the GAA as it's not surprising that when wet pubs opened and students went back to college and we opened up primary and secondary schools that there would be a hike!

Hopefully it will reduce numbers and these games can be finished, the blaming of GAA by ones on the hill is exactly what you are doing. Club supporters are not blameless either, and need to share some of the blame and attention it's getting but there's a lot more to it
Throw the kids championship under the bus with no mention of county teams  being cancelled. That's the peculiar decision

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on October 06, 2020, 12:02:15 AM
What's the alternative? Play it off once the ban ceases? I wouldn't put the blame of the crisis at the door of the GAA as it's not surprising that when wet pubs opened and students went back to college and we opened up primary and secondary schools that there would be a hike!

Hopefully it will reduce numbers and these games can be finished, the blaming of GAA by ones on the hill is exactly what you are doing. Club supporters are not blameless either, and need to share some of the blame and attention it's getting but there's a lot more to it
Throw the kids championship under the bus with no mention of county teams  being cancelled. That's the peculiar decision

The county teams fall under elite teams. You haven't replied to my proposal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CitySlicker11

Why are kids championships only taking place now? Why weren't they played off before now in the better weather when things opened up again? Genuine question.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on October 06, 2020, 07:55:32 AM
Why are kids championships only taking place now? Why weren't they played off before now in the better weather when things opened up again? Genuine question.

Who knows, there was plenty opportunity with regards to timing, but with the condensed Championships was there enough referees to officiate them? I don't know, but I'm sure when the numbers go down the sensible option will be to play them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2020, 08:34:18 AM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on October 06, 2020, 07:55:32 AM

Who knows, there was plenty opportunity with regards to timing, but with the condensed Championships was there enough referees to officiate them? I don't know, but I'm sure when the numbers go down the sensible option will be to play them

No I'm sorry but there is no excuse for these not being played during the summer when the time and space was available to do so.

How many training sessions would these teams have had now in comparison to game time? These should have been well completed before the schools had got up and running again.

angermanagement

The dual clubs were playing 2/3 matches a week, they done well to get in as many games in as they did.

NAG1

Quote from: angermanagement on October 06, 2020, 09:43:28 AM
The dual clubs were playing 2/3 matches a week, they done well to get in as many games in as they did.

What were the matches they were playing then?
Surely a couple of matches to get going and then into a championship?

Or did they try to run a full seasons worth of fixtures into half a season at best?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on October 06, 2020, 10:25:24 AM
Quote from: angermanagement on October 06, 2020, 09:43:28 AM

What were the matches they were playing then?
Surely a couple of matches to get going and then into a championship?

Or did they try to run a full seasons worth of fixtures into half a season at best?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When the games opened up the priority was to get the senior competitions going, I don't think there was one argument for that at the time, we all praised the county board for running off the championships like they did and they were great games from minor up through junior interm and senior.

Then we have the pressure from media that has really been the reason for shutting down the games as clampits couldn't help themselves and partying hard in their locals then move to other locals and before you know it all these wee villages and towns had infections spread right across them..

Was that the fault of the county board? but its an easy out to complain I suppose.. The games were rescheduled when we had the opening up, did the clubs bring it to the attention of the county that this needs looked at as we may not get these games played?

This is the first time that clubs actually had priority with having all their county players for a good period without any activity from the county, which was a bonus also. I said in an earlier post we had plenty of opportunity but maybe the timing and doing the fixtures (I've never set in on fixture planning can't imagine it is easy) didn't allow for those games to be played

paddyjohn

Damned if you and damned if you don't. The county board did well enough to run off whatever games were played and gave us all great enjoyment on Facebook and through the various streams and platforms that were used. Who could of envisaged this happening during March or April?

Yes some supporters have acted irresponsibly but it's human nature, I'm not condoning it but it happens with a crowd of so many people.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

paddyjohn

And also, let's not forget the terrific work that the GAA have done all over the 32 counties for both sides of the divide here. It's easy to sit and have a pop at people.

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 06, 2020, 11:46:44 AM
And also, let's not forget the terrific work that the GAA have done all over the 32 counties for both sides of the divide here. It's easy to sit and have a pop at people.

Don't get me wrong PJ I'm not having a pop at anyone here, all im saying is that those giving off now about u12 competitions need a bit of reality. Agree with what you have said on the huge work done by clubs and volunteers, on / off the pitch within the club and especially within the community.

Be a seriously interesting stat if there was a way to compile in a monetary figure, all the money raised and volunteer time spent by all clubs up here. I would imagine it would shut some dissenters up who have been taking a pop at the association.

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2020, 07:38:59 AM

I wasn't sure there was a proposal hidden in your gobbledegook
I wasn't being overly critical and the crisis isn't Croke Pks fault. Put simply there are more u12 than county elites, look after the majority. Mol an Oige etc....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on October 06, 2020, 01:16:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2020, 07:38:59 AM

I wasn't sure there was a proposal hidden in your gobbledegook
I wasn't being overly critical and the crisis isn't Croke Pks fault. Put simply there are more u12 than county elites, look after the majority. Mol an Oige etc....

What's the alternative? gobbledegook?  Its Dick and Dora stuff really

paddyjohn

Anyway, amidst all the COVID stuff, sad news coming out of Pearses in North Belfast with the passing of Michael O'Neill. I don't know how many of you followed his story on Twitter but he was a brave man and a true gent.

May he rest in peace