Gilroy new Dubs manager

Started by Declan, October 11, 2017, 08:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Dublin County Committee are delighted to confirm the appointment of Pat Gilroy as Dublin Senior Hurling Manager on a 3 year term.
Details of the full management team will be announced shortly.

Interesting to see who is team will be

GaillimhIarthair

It seems former Galway manager, Anthony Cunningham, will be part of Gilroy's team in a coaching capacity. 

Premier Emperor

Was it ever in doubt that Dublin are gym monkeys and not hurlers?
No serious hurling county would put a footballer in charge of hurlers.

Lar Naparka

Something tells me that we've seen the last of Diarmuid as a county footballer.
I'm told he and Gilroy get along well together and Gavin now knows he can get along without him and Connolly knows this and doesn't seem to happy about it if you go by his antics during the warm up in the final.
If I was Gavin, I'd be wary of playing him again as his temper will always be suspect and opposition players will know this as well. Getting red carded against Carlow was bad enough but if it happened during the All Ireland final, it could be quite another matter. It wouldn't be worth the risk to play him, knowing you were likely to be a man short before the end of the game.
Besides, he is a very good hurler.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

Quote from: Premier Emperor on October 11, 2017, 11:16:06 AM
Was it ever in doubt that Dublin are gym monkeys and not hurlers?
No serious hurling county would put a footballer in charge of hurlers.

Cody brought in Mick Dempsey from Laois in a bid to toughen them up a bit.

Declan

QuoteI'm told he and Gilroy get along well together and Gavin now knows he can get along without him and Connolly knows this and doesn't seem to happy about it if you go by his antics during the warm up in the final.

I've been told the exact opposite re himself and Gilroy :)

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 11, 2017, 11:23:08 AM
Gavin now knows he can get along without him
The All-Ireland final proved the exact opposite.

Dublin would have lost had Connolly not come on.

Gavin tried to win the All-Ireland without Connolly. It was supreme arrogance on Gavin's part.

Onthe40

Dublin wouldnt have won the All Ireland without Connolly..kicked a glorious point, made the free for Rock as well as having a massive overall influence 2nd half

easytiger95

Also, his pass for Rock's fist point from play was absolutely sublime. I'm not his biggest fan but the team is stronger with him as an option. He is a good hurler though.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 11, 2017, 12:25:09 PM
Also, his pass for Rock's fist point from play was absolutely sublime. I'm not his biggest fan but the team is stronger with him as an option. He is a good hurler though.
I can accept all of that without a bother but the fact remains that he had played in the final and got a red card for his troubles, the odds are that Mayo would have won that game, unless he was carded inside the last five minutes or do.
Gilroy and Diarmuid are Vins' men and the odds are that they will get along together.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rodney trotter

Connolly said before in an interview that he prefered to watch Hurling over football.  His father is from Kilkenny. Not that it means he will change over,  but wouldn't be a surprise.

johnneycool

Gavin would be mad not to try and have Connolly on the football panel. He's one of the best forwards in the game and hence one of the best at Dublins disposal.

As for his hurling prowess I can't comment as club hurling is light years away from AI and Div1 intercounty hurling, but that's not to say he wouldn't be the required standard.

If Gilroy could talk Con O'Callaghan round that most certainly would be a coup. He's got everything Dublin hurling is lacking.

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 11, 2017, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on October 11, 2017, 12:25:09 PM
I can accept all of that without a bother but the fact remains that he had played in the final and got a red card for his troubles, the odds are that Mayo would have won that game, unless he was carded inside the last five minutes or do.
Gilroy and Diarmuid are Vins' men and the odds are that they will get along together.
Patrick Durcan was sent off twice this year.

Should he thus be culled from the Mayo panel?

"The fact remains that he had played in the final and got a red card for his troubles, the odds are that Mayo would have won that game, unless he was carded inside the last five minutes or do. "

The fact remains that Connolly wasn't sent off and yet again proved himself a matchwinner.

The fact remains that you are claiming something that didn't actually happen as fact.

The fact remains that two other players got themselves sent off in the same match.

Should their services be dispensed with by their respective managers?

Beffs

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 11, 2017, 01:01:47 PM

Gilroy and Connolly being club mates and getting on well together, doesn't matter a damm, if Connolly can't control his temper and stay on the pitch. So so what if they get on together? I presume he gets on with Jim Gavin too. Gavin wouldn't have made him his vice captain, or defended him so strongly earlier in the summer, if they didn't get on well. It hasn't made a damm bit of difference to Connolly's horrendous disciplinary record over the past few years. Why would it be any different under Gilroy?

manfromdelmonte

if Dublin get their top players onto the squad they'll be a match for anyone