Tyrone v Roscommon Croke Park 14/15th July

Started by omagh_gael, July 07, 2018, 10:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 04:34:13 PM
Was watching the videos from TTM there after the Cork game and the lads, Skeet, Meyler and O'Neill we're all talking well about that game, what they wanted to got from it and the Super 8. All three were all well versed on not looking past the Rossies and full of compliments for their forwards, especially O'Neill. The interviewer a few times tried to get them to talk about Dublin in Omagh and none of them bit and kept to the scipt that it's all about this game.

In fairness, this is without a doubt the biggest games for both of these teams in this group as you'd imagine it's the pne game that both teams have earmarked as the most winnable.

You'd be wrong.

trueblue1234

Quote from: oliverkelly on July 09, 2018, 04:46:32 PM
I would fancy Donegal in the Hyde as the most winnable. Might be way off but thats my opinion before a ball in thrown in

It's hard to know with Donegal. The McBearty loss would most likely scupper any realistic hopes they had of winning the whole thing. But I still think there's a kick in them somewhere. They have a good young team coming through, they've just lifted Ulster again and their tails were up prior to the injury news.
I honestly don't think there's much between Donegal, Roscommon and Tyrone and wouldn't be overly surprised if they all win one each. If forced to rate them I'd prob have Donegal, then Tyrone and then Roscommon. But with little in-between.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Jayop

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 04:54:05 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 04:34:13 PM
Was watching the videos from TTM there after the Cork game and the lads, Skeet, Meyler and O'Neill we're all talking well about that game, what they wanted to got from it and the Super 8. All three were all well versed on not looking past the Rossies and full of compliments for their forwards, especially O'Neill. The interviewer a few times tried to get them to talk about Dublin in Omagh and none of them bit and kept to the scipt that it's all about this game.

In fairness, this is without a doubt the biggest games for both of these teams in this group as you'd imagine it's the pne game that both teams have earmarked as the most winnable.

You'd be wrong.

Great input thanks.

Jayop

Quote from: oliverkelly on July 09, 2018, 04:46:32 PM
I would fancy Donegal in the Hyde as the most winnable. Might be way off but thats my opinion before a ball in thrown in

Fair enough. I thought that you'd have us down as the one that you'd most likely beat but I suppose home advantage is a big thing as Kildare have proven. Donegal have kicked an average of 2-19 in the 4 games in Ulster with the scores being pretty evenly spread out so while McBrearty is a big loss they're still a serious scoring outfit this year.

Rossfan

David Gough to Ref it.
That should cut down on the dirty tricks.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jayop

I think he has potential to be a really good ref but he decides too many games himself and is much too fussy. All well and good calling those off the ball fouls around the 21 but the fact is that you go to any game he refs and he will pick a team and give them 3/4 of them and maybe one for the other side regardless of how much it's happening.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2018, 05:28:34 PM
David Gough to Ref it.

This would be bad news for Tyrone.

Rossfan

So.... to be a good ref. you have to ignore off the ball fouling/dirt.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

David Gough to Ref it.

Great, another game ruined by an anomalous amount of soft frees.

Jayop

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 05:43:42 PM
David Gough to Ref it.

He's one of those refs that Tyrone generally have to allow for a few extra points to get the win when we play with him. He tends to give a lot of soft frees against Tyrone and if there's any opportunity at all to hand the harshest card available to a Tyrone player he will take it while giving the opposing players the lesser card for the same foul.

Generally when he's reffed games for us against teams outside the top 3 we have enough in the tank to not make it an issue. It's generally only when we play the likes of a Mayo or other top team that it's mattered.

Shouldn't make much of an impact here hopefully.

Jayop

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2018, 05:47:01 PM
So.... to be a good ref. you have to ignore off the ball fouling/dirt.

Not at all. To be a good ref you shouldn't favour one team over the other for these things and any time I've watched Gough and not just when Tyrone have played he seems to pick one side and ride them for the day. Generally when it's Tyrone he's reffing he picks us.

Some of the off the ball stuff he calls is grandstanding from him. Most of them aren't fouls at all and imo if you're going to call those they should be absolutely blatant. Tyrone got one on Saturday for a 'foul' on Skeet and he was barely touched. It was just the ref showing off that he had eyes on the back of his head.

Syferus

Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 05:53:55 PM
David Gough to Ref it.

He's one of those refs that Tyrone generally have to allow for a few extra points to get the win when we play with him. He tends to give a lot of soft frees against Tyrone and if there's any opportunity at all to hand the harshest card available to a Tyrone player he will take it while giving the opposing players the lesser card for the same foul.

Generally when he's reffed games for us against teams outside the top 3 we have enough in the tank to not make it an issue. It's generally only when we play the likes of a Mayo or other top team that it's mattered.

The line "Tyrone have to allow for a few extra points to win" when discussing the referee who is nearly-universally regarded as the best in the game is more telling than you might realise.

Jayop

Another insightful post without actually saying anything. What a waste of time you are.

Had we got the extra few points to ensure the win in 2016 then Gough giving Mayo everything wouldn't have mattered. That's pretty much exactly what I meant and a perfect example of it in action.

Someone being the best ref in the GAA at the minute isn't much of a compliment when the lot of them are absolute chumps.

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 01:29:57 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 09, 2018, 01:25:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 12:30:09 PM
Mickey is probably searching Facebook for our players' wives and girlfriends names as we speak.

Mickey is a devout Catholic and a fantastic ambassador to the game.

He can be as devout as he likes but no one outside of Tyrone buys his sanctimony when he's sending out cynical and dirty teams who essentially revolutionised sledging as much as they did defensive tactics. Sport isn't a special case where rules of decency are not applied or can be ignored.

If Mickey really cared about what was right he would have stopped his players acting like playground bullies on the field a decade and a half ago.

Take off the tinfoil hat. There are better pundits outside of Colm O Rourke.

Aughafad

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 06:00:26 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 05:53:55 PM
David Gough to Ref it.

The line "Tyrone have to allow for a few extra points to win" when discussing the referee who is nearly-universally regarded as the best in the game is more telling than you might realise.

You sir are full of the stuff that comes out of a horses back end if you think anybody regards him as the best in the business.

Generally the best get more than one all ireland finals, how many has gough?